G-d Damned homeless people.... :|

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So I wake up this morning and realize that I forgot to lock my car.. I run outside (my car is parked 10 ft outside my front door btw) and find that some drug-addled lowlife has sifted through all of my stuff in my center console and taken all my change.

No biggie, since it was only a couple bucks and the retards at the car wash usually steal it anyway, but this is the second time I've left my car door unlocked and therefore the second time this has happened. So that means either our neighborhood crack fiend (yes, many homeless around here ARE on crack, I'm not generalizing) was either VERY lucky or he does this on a regular basis.

He *could* have stolen a couple credit cards which were in my visor pocket...and damn, he completely bypassed a set of Tiffany cufflinks I had in a box too. He just moved all my papers around and stole my change.

I'm setting a trap tonight - arming the alarm but leaving the door unlocked. And I'm sleeping on the couch with a baseball bat.

Can I get in trouble for beating a thief into submission??

The most annoying part is, we are technically supposed to have "nighttime security patrols" in our gated apartment complex. Psh, I've NEVER seen a security guard come through here. :|

iamshady

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2001
Setting a trap with the intent to beat the crap out of someone trying to survive is going to get you in trouble methinks. Next time remember to lock your door, that's why they're there.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Lock your freakin' door.

And if you leave a pile of bread crumbs out, don't complain if a bunch of pigeons eat them. You know the behavior of the homeless people around you -- act accordingly.

-geoff

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: baffled2
for a second I thought Jerboy was back

Why not just lock your car tonight and be grateful that more wasn't taken?

OMG SAME HERE JEAN.

When I saw this thread I was like "Holy sh!t! Jerboy jacked amnesiac's account! :p"

virusag11

May 22, 2002
I'm setting a trap tonight - arming the alarm but leaving the door unlocked. And I'm sleeping on the couch with a baseball bat.

1) Lock your doors

2) That is assualt with intent. You will go to jail.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
1) Moron leaves car unlocked AND doesn't turn the alarm on
2) Homeless guy steals moron's money
3) Moron gets mad because homeless guy didn't just leave a note on his windshield "You forgot to lock your door"
3) Moron sets a trap for the homeless guy and beats him to death
4) Moron goes to jail for 20 years because his address is easily found and reported to the police

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Why not leave some food in your car covered with exlax. That way, if he eats it, he'll be very unhappy for the rest of the night. Just pray he doesn't decide to use the backseat... :)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Actually, "only" stealing the change sounds like even though this person was desperate, he or she was trying to be respectful (in a warped way) to the rest of your stuff, like this person might have once had something to live for before chemical dependency took its ugly hold. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the act of stealing your change. Sometimes I wish some of these addicts would just OD and die. Those addicts who don't want to help themselves to get better, those addicts that prey off the gullible for spare change for a "sandwich," those addicts that take advantage of charities over and over, those addicts that break into cars and steal anything they think is worth a dollar, those addicts that break into homes, that is.

But here's the deal: it's not worth it to beat someone with a deadly weapon over a dollar or two. If they're not similarly armed, or they're trying to run away, it's not a fair fight, and you could bring a lot of trouble for yourself.

Set the alarm and lock the doors.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Garfang
Actually, "only" stealing the change sounds like even though this person was desperate, he or she was trying to be respectful (in a warped way) to the rest of your stuff, like this person might have once had something to live for before chemical dependency took its ugly hold. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the act of stealing your change. Sometimes I wish some of these addicts would just OD and die. Those addicts who don't want to help themselves to get better, those addicts that prey off the gullible for spare change for a "sandwich," those addicts that take advantage of charities over and over, those addicts that break into cars and steal anything they think is worth a dollar, those addicts that break into homes, that is.

But here's the deal: it's not worth it to beat someone with a deadly weapon over a dollar or two. If they're not similarly armed, or they're trying to run away, it's not a fair fight, and you could bring a lot of trouble for yourself.

Set the alarm and lock the doors.

You have a point there.
I'll just be more careful in the future.

Or I'll beat the snot out of him with my fists instead. ;):p

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Screw beating him up - leave the doors wide open and rig a bomb to blow the creep's arms and legs off. If he gets nailed, too bad, he should have rememebered pre-school lessons of keeping your hands on your own belongings.

Not only was he trespassing by going into your vehicle, but stealing, stanking up your car, and you also never know when he's gonna get motivated and steal the entire car.

If a person takes the risk of entering somebody else's car without permission, whether locked or unlocked, they deserve whatever may happen to them.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Just be thankful the homeless dude didn't take anything more valuable than a couple of bucks worth of change - I really don't understand how you're so worked up about this.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
how about you lock the door + alarm the car. But also leave a bag of McDonalds or something out there for him? That way you aren't adding to his chemical dependency, but you're at least keeping him from starving =/

-Ed

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Mani
Just be thankful the homeless dude didn't take anything more valuable than a couple of bucks worth of change - I really don't understand how you're so worked up about this.

BECAUSE HE OPENED MY CAR DOOR AND TOOK MY STUFF.
It's the PRINCIPLE, dammit!

It doesn't matter if he took 10 cents or 100 bucks, that still doesn't make it acceptable for him to TRESPASS on private GATED property, open a car door that's not his, and take change that doesn't belong to him!

Yeah, I understand I was irresponsible for not locking my car, but now see if I have any sympathy for you when you leave a window open at home and get buglarized. :p

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The difference between a person & a pigeon is that the person is responsible for their actions.

Whether the door was locked, unlocked, or non existant, stealing sh!t from people's cars isn't something that a law abiding member of society does.

Since when does being homeless exempt you from the consequences presented by your actions?

rolleye.gif

Viper GTS

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
1) Moron leaves car unlocked AND doesn't turn the alarm on
2) Homeless guy steals moron's money
3) Moron gets mad because homeless guy didn't just leave a note on his windshield "You forgot to lock your door"
3) Moron sets a trap for the homeless guy and beats him to death
4) Moron goes to jail for 20 years because his address is easily found and reported to the police

With proof of pre-meditation from Anandtech, it could be even more serious.....

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BruinEd03
how about you lock the door + alarm the car. But also leave a bag of McDonalds or something out there for him? That way you aren't adding to his chemical dependency, but you're at least keeping him from starving =/

-Ed

Wait, so I should REWARD the jackass for engaging in illegal behavior? Screw that. I'll leave out a six pack of whoop ass for him.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In a perfect world, we shouldnt have to lock our doors. The homeless guy didnt come in and ask for change, he STOLE it. Setting a trap to beat his ass is a little much, but homeless or wealthy, stealing is stealing, and there is NO justification for it.

Leave the door unlocked with a note that says "Steal from me again and you will get hurt", and leave it at that. If he sees it and leaves, let him be. If he sees the sign and opens your door, beat his ass good.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

Can I get in trouble for beating a thief into submission??
And this would accomplish...what? You obviously live in an area where crime is high. Lock your door, idiot.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I still stand by my vote to rig a bomb to get him nicely, and then you can laugh at him when he's a little stump rolling down the sidewalk.

As for your car that would be destroyed..... Maybe ransack the dude's pockets for change to start saving again ;)

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
why are you so sure it was a homeless person? It could have been some punk neighbor kid.

I've had my cars broken into a few times and it sucks. But if I left my garage door open all night and someone swiped somthing, I wouldn't plan on doing the same thing the next night in hopes I would beat the crap out of them with a baseball bat. :eek:

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: BruinEd03

-Ed

and we would want to keep him alive... why?