FYI: Lotus Notes $*!*)@#!)!@##!)*@#)!@*#!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vital

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2000
I have to use the stupid domino database at work.. what's a better alternative to this?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Somebody replied all an email to the entire global directory for the last company I worked for using notes, and it brought down the mail servers with all of the replies (whick also replied all).

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Never had problems with the Lotus Notes ini file. It isn't even recursive. You can just pick up the whole Notes folder, move it to another computer and keep going. Can't do that on Outlook.

The main reason why most people seem to hate Lotus Notes is the fact that its interface is quite different to the rest of the Microsoft Windows/Office style. It takes a little getting used to. Sure, the old Notes5 interface is clunky, but wait until you try Notes 6.5. And other place where Notes 6.5 totally cleans up.... scheduling a meeting through the calendar.

envy me

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2005
Originally posted by: AndyHui
Never had problems with the Lotus Notes ini file. It isn't even recursive. You can just pick up the whole Notes folder, move it to another computer and keep going. Can't do that on Outlook.

The main reason why most people seem to hate Lotus Notes is the fact that its interface is quite different to the rest of the Microsoft Windows/Office style. It takes a little getting used to. Sure, the old Notes5 interface is clunky, but wait until you try Notes 6.5. And other place where Notes 6.5 totally cleans up.... scheduling a meeting through the calendar.

Thats quite the snappy avatar you have. I would like one also.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool1
Originally posted by: Platypus
We call it Blotus Goats and it lives up to its name in every way imaginable.

that's funny. Im just surprised how much IBM crap we use....

oh, but there's so many more fun names for it.

"scrotum floats" <---my personal fav
"float-us boats"
"blotus chokes"

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: spike spiegal
That it's obviously not a "we-kept-it-simple-stupid" app

"Stupid" is applications that use endless, recursive .INI files and is written for Win95 API's, while taking upwards of 100meg per session. Thats Lotus Notes.

Outlook uses the registry and profiles, and uses modren installer tools written this decade.

Lotus Domino requires a 3ghz P4 with a gig of RAM just to move while I've run Exchange 2000 on 300ghz PII's with 512 meg of RAM, and it still ran faster than the Domino box.

This guy has the best attitude about the matter:
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/04/06/cz_dl_0406notes.html

Someone give this man a :beer: ! All of that is too true.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I'll say this much for Lotus Notes, like all IBM products at least it has this going for it:
It might be slow, but at least it's hard to use!

SpanishFry

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ahurtt
I'll say this much for Lotus Notes, like all IBM products at least it has this going for it:

hahaha...another dell user? :disgust:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Personally, I thought that Notes stopped sucking around version 6. I have the version 7 client installed now, and it seems to be pretty responsive and stable. The mail rules and folders are a lot easier to configure now, too.

I still prefer my GMail account, though, just so I don't have to worry about some Nazi Domino admin putting a 200MB cap on my mail database. That gets REALLY annoying when you have managers and customers sending you 20MB attachments all the time. The customers I can yell at, but screaming at the VP about the size of his quarterly newsletter probably isn't a good career move :)

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: kmr1212

No, here at IBM we tend to use. . .IBM computers. Go figure!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

There is no such thing as an IBM desktop computer now. They're all Lenovo products now. Now, go back to work before your boss outsources you to China :)

Besides, IBM products are supposed to be hard to use! That's how their services business stays profitable!

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob

There is no such thing as an IBM desktop computer now. They're all Lenovo products now. Now, go back to work before your boss outsources you to China :)

Besides, IBM products are supposed to be hard to use! That's how their services business stays profitable!

Well while it's true that my laptop is a Lenovo (a.k.a. ThinkPad), I've had my trusty workstation since before IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo. Which I guess by technology standards makes it a genuine antique collectors item! I bet this thing is worth some money! Which also means I'm way overdue for an upgrade :|

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AndyHui

There is a reason that most Windows applications use the same interface common controls and have similar menus and menu items. Consistency makes interfaces easy to learn and intuitive for new users. Lotus Notes breaks all of these basic GUI 101 principles. That and its horrendously sluggish performance as a client are the reasons that most users hate Notes.

It may be great from an administrator's perspective and have tons of cool features, but as a user I'll take Outlook/Exchange over it any day.

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hate lotus notes. My company uses it but I use the lotus notes outlook connector so I can read my email with outlook.

The only reason notes is still around is because the people writing software for it somehow convinced management to use it so they can keep their job.