FYI - Amazon appears to be blowing out LG OLED TVs

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
The 2015 models are around $1000 for the 55" and $2000 for the 65" models. the curved ones are cheapest.

In case you were waiting to buy...

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I think the 2016 LG OLED screens are some of the most beautiful but they tend to have worse input lag than other brands and can suffer from temporary image retention.
If used for a main TV or something then I'd say go for it. If used on a desk as a PC monitor I would look elsewhere.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I just grabbed a 2016 OLED, it arrives on Friday. First TV purchased since I got my Kuro back in '07 so pretty stoked. I'll post back with impressions once I get it hung and ready to go.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I just grabbed a 2016 OLED, it arrives on Friday. First TV purchased since I got my Kuro back in '07 so pretty stoked. I'll post back with impressions once I get it hung and ready to go.
Would definitely love to hear your thoughts! I have a KRP-500m hanging around still.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
How glossy are these? I get a lot of glare where my TV is right now.

Torn between a 65" TCL 4K Roku TV ($1k) & an OLED screen.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
How glossy are these? I get a lot of glare where my TV is right now.

Pretty glossy as every decent tv is. They are curved though which changes the effect of reflections from direct light sources (can be better or worse depending).

Torn between a 65" TCL 4K Roku TV ($1k) & an OLED screen.

I will admit that shocks me. It is like cross shopping a truck and a mini coupe.

TCL- value, built in Roku, large size for cheap

OLED- picture quality that is best in class (I would say 5 to 10 times as good), but needs a Roku and is expensive compared to alternatives

Personally I will never buy a non OLED going forward, but I put picture quality above all else. Not everyone cares about picture quality though.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Pretty glossy as every decent tv is. They are curved though which changes the effect of reflections from direct light sources (can be better or worse depending).

I will admit that shocks me. It is like cross shopping a truck and a mini coupe.

TCL- value, built in Roku, large size for cheap

OLED- picture quality that is best in class (I would say 5 to 10 times as good), but needs a Roku and is expensive compared to alternatives

Personally I will never buy a non OLED going forward, but I put picture quality above all else. Not everyone cares about picture quality though.

Well, in my situation, it's a question of both price & usability. The TCL is a 65" 4K for $999 & comes with Roku OS baked in. My family is used to Roku. Everyone knows how to use it. Sure, you can add it on via a simple stick or player, but having it boot straight up to it is awesome. I have this on my 43" Insignia in my kitchen & it's fantastic. I also setup a 55" Insignia at my dad's for his computer/television setup & it's awesome. The PQ is outstanding on the Insignia brand, which is extremely surprising given the price point. I have not seen a 4K TCL in person however, so I am really curious to see how it looks (I wish Insignia offered a 65" model!). Right now, there are some 65" 4K sales going on from $700 to $900 for non-Roku televisions, but again, having it baked in is a really strong selling point for me, as my family uses it, and the less interaction I have to have for ongoing usability, the better, haha!

On the flip side, we have the 65" LG OLED dropping in price like mad. Best deal I've seen so far is $3,000 on Newegg, along with a $600 Newegg gift card. Yeah, a $2,400 effective price for the screen, but I'm still shelling out $3,000 for a 65" 4K set. So really, three times as much without Roku built-in. Another TV OS to train my family on, or else buy a Roku player & bypass that using input switching. Sounds basic, but again, you throw kids & non-technical people in the mix...it gets fun. So for me, I'm all about PQ, but I'm not the whole story, which is why I'm cross-shopping. Plus my living room has tremendous glare, so having a super-shiny screen would not be good because the layout isn't really friendly to reducing the glare for a variety of reasons.

The TV I love the most is the 75" Sony X940d, which just dropped from $5,999 to $4,299...but man...even paying $999 for a television still feels nuts to me :D

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Well, in my situation, it's a question of both price & usability. The TCL is a 65" 4K for $999 & comes with Roku OS baked in. My family is used to Roku. Everyone knows how to use it. Sure, you can add it on via a simple stick or player, but having it boot straight up to it is awesome.

I feel you. I replaced a 4K screen in the kitchen with a 1080p Vizio because the Chromecast was built it and looks much cleaner.

On the flip side, we have the 65" LG OLED dropping in price like mad. Best deal I've seen so far is $3,000 on Newegg, along with a $600 Newegg gift card. Yeah, a $2,400 effective price for the screen, but I'm still shelling out $3,000 for a 65" 4K set. So really, three times as much without Roku built-in. Another TV OS to train my family on, or else buy a Roku player & bypass that using input switching. Sounds basic, but again, you throw kids & non-technical people in the mix...it gets fun. So for me, I'm all about PQ, but I'm not the whole story, which is why I'm cross-shopping.

So usability vs picture quality, makes sense to me.

I will admit that of my friends I have pretty much forced into OLEDs (which is any of them with a budget that can afford it), all of them say they love it but their wives hate the Wiimote style remote. So that might be one more deciding factor for you.

Personally I just use a Harmony setup to hide all the complication of inputs behind macros so that way I don't have to be beholden to whatever is easiest to use (because that often means not having decent sound too), but if you value simplicity over all else and you don't want to spend the time programing Harmonies or teaching your family to use them it doesn't even seem like a real choice to me. Roku tv all the way.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I made the jump to an LG 55" OLED 2015 right as the 2016 models were launching, got it for about $1300. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Will never go to LCD after seeing OLED in action. As an added benefit, in my living room the curved screen actually reduces glare significantly, making it much easier to enjoy movies.

zibaji

Sep 13, 2016
If they blow 77 inch signature then divert to me lol. LG need sales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I feel you. I replaced a 4K screen in the kitchen with a 1080p Vizio because the Chromecast was built it and looks much cleaner.

So usability vs picture quality, makes sense to me.

I will admit that of my friends I have pretty much forced into OLEDs (which is any of them with a budget that can afford it), all of them say they love it but their wives hate the Wiimote style remote. So that might be one more deciding factor for you.

Personally I just use a Harmony setup to hide all the complication of inputs behind macros so that way I don't have to be beholden to whatever is easiest to use (because that often means not having decent sound too), but if you value simplicity over all else and you don't want to spend the time programing Harmonies or teaching your family to use them it doesn't even seem like a real choice to me. Roku tv all the way.

Yeah, I opted for the TCL in the end. Shows up this week, curious to see how it looks since I haven't used an off-brand 65" 4K set yet. I can tell you that the 55" Insignia Roku TV is outstanding, so I'm hoping the TCL will look just as good. I have the Harmony smart home remote now, but if anyone messes with the inputs manually on any of the equipment, it still gets all goofed up. The goal is basically to have the TCL act as the TV & speakers, with a few items for input that can be added as channels via the Roku OS. One simple remote, no receiver, no complex inputs, manual button-changing OK. aka no one has to ask me to fix it ever, lol.

I've used that Wiimote-style remote from LG on their UST LED projector...hate it lol. Tivo is the only one who ever got remote layouts right!

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Have to say I'm loving mine. The only downside (although it's not insignificant) is that the picture when viewing cable as a source is pretty crap. Definitely worse than it was on the Pioneer. That said, viewing quality content looks stunning and I haven't really played with any calibration settings yet. Honestly considering dumping Charter for my TV and moving to DirectTv solely based on their lack of compression.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Would definitely love to hear your thoughts! I have a KRP-500m hanging around still.

I would like to hear as well, although I have no plans to get rid of my KRP-500m. A bigger screen would be nice, but my TV has worked great for close to 10 years, still looks amazing.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Worthington I can't wait to hear results from DirectTV viewing as far as image quality. I bet it will look great but I'm just guessing. I can handle the $2k, even $4k but the condos where I live don't allow dishes on patios or the roof...

But I have Uverse so maybe the quality would be good, don't know. Anyway I don't think Uverse will have much of any content in 4K. So I'd have to use the net for now. Also I'll look into non pc desktop set top boxes to find out it the image quality is fine or not. Or just hook the Oled Tv to my pc which has a good video card & cpu, etc.

Oh one more thing, I sure would like to know if 1080 res movies/shows will look good on your LG. I'm thinking they will look just a tad blurry on the native 4k screen. If I'm wrong and it looks super sharp then of course it would be a no brainer and I'd get the LG tv immediately. But it looks like originally shot 4k video is the only way to go for your LG right?

Last edited:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I haven't gone with DirectTv yet. Still talking myself into it as I can't say I'm a fan of hanging a sat dish off my deck or the like. But the more I hear about how DTV is really the only company broadcasting decent and not overly compressed channels (google isn't an option here, nor any other sort of fiber) the more I'm leaning in that direction. As for decently sourced 1080p content I'd say it looks pretty damn good honestly. Watching BD and HD-DVD movies looks fantastic.

also, while it has nothing to do with picture quality I have to say having a TV that doesn't weigh 180lbs (cough, my Kuro plasma) just makes life so much easier. I didn't have to buy a wall mount that was designed for a damned stadium to get the thing on the wall. My old mount alone weighs more than the new TV.