FX-8350 vs i5-6402p for gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for all the replies! I need to edit my sig as I don't have that system anymore. My current system is a i7 6700HQ HP notebook with integrated graphics. XD

Going off your responses, I think I'll either stick with the Intel system, or wait another 3 months or so for Kaby Lake. If anything, it'll push the prices down even further. I could put together my own system, but I'm too lazy and these particular prebuilt models cost less than if I were to buy the parts separately. I was trying to keep things below $650.

Here are the ones I'm considering

This one drops down to $600 every now and then
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615010.p?skuId=5615010

This one hits $650 every once in a while
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...hard-drive-black-blue/5641629.p?skuId=5641629

Kaby Lake probably won't push prices down too much more on Skylake stuff once it's actually out. Typically you see clearances right before a new processor launch. So keep a close eye out for some deals on Skylake based systems over the next month or so.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Takes me a lot longer than that to put together a system, especially when I have to install Windows, get the latest drivers for stuff, etc.

I was talking about the hardware side only, installing the software and all your apps etc and getting it setup the way you want it is something that you need to spend time doing if you buy premade or not. And installing windows is trivial nowdays, put it on a USB stick and it only takes 10 min.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I agree with it possibly being a hassle for people who haven't done it, but it doesn't take alot of time, 20 min max start to finish. Maybe 30 if you have to read instructions for anything because you haven't done it before.

PFFT,. it takes that much time just to route the cabling out of the way of the fans and to make it look good. Putting together a system can easily take 1-3 hours or more, even for seasoned veterans. That doesn't even include loading the OS and configuring your software which can take another half a day to a full day.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Last time I built a system with an SSD for Win10, it went together and was up and running much faster.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
20 mins, never. Putting a new system together something always misses, a fan is touching a wire, sata's get messed up and more often than not fitting the mainboard in the atx-x and getting the expansion cards aligned in their slots.. sometimes the mainboard is too low, too high .. something will certainly miss.
Only way it takes 20 mins is if I take a current system apart and put it back together again :).

bchreng

Aug 12, 2002
Sorry for taking so long to reply guys. I've decided to go with the AMD system and go against what I mentioned earlier and upgrade the internals later next year when I can find a $200ish deal on an Kaby Lake CPU/mobo/memory combo. Thanks for all the help!

Aug 11, 2008
argh, let it slide please, who cares.
Maybe we are just getting tired of the Zen hype, and especially about how cheap it will be. I agree if you are building your own higher end system it makes sense to wait for Zen. But for someone that is looking to buy an 800.00 prebuilt, I seriously doubt Zen or intel HEDT platform will enter the picture at all.

Reactions: cytg111
Aug 11, 2008
Sorry for taking so long to reply guys. I've decided to go with the AMD system and go against what I mentioned earlier and upgrade the internals later next year when I can find a $200ish deal on an Kaby Lake CPU/mobo/memory combo. Thanks for all the help!
Better think about that again. A KL cpu alone will be 200.00 plus (I would not upgrade an 8 core FX to anything less than an intel quad).

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
I hope you have a Micro Center so you can get the $130 8320E + Aura board deal. Otherwise I'd pass.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
And Polaris was also a Titan killer at 249$. :rolleyes:

You get what you pay for.
Unless you scored two 480s for a reasonable price versus a 1080 — in games that make 480 Crossfire worthwhile?

Titan cards have typically had the worst performance-per-dollar ratings at techpowerup. The original Titan was the most pitiful. The thing that makes me laugh at Titan cards is that the cheaper R9 Nano has a better-engineered cooler.

bchreng

Aug 12, 2002
I hope you have a Micro Center so you can get the $130 8320E + Aura board deal. Otherwise I'd pass.

There's a Microcenter around me, but it's quite a drive. I'll hang onto my system and hold out for a nice deal on an i5 upgrade kit sometime next year.

I saw that deal earlier and was mighty tempted. I'm happy with the $600 system I got though. Runs my older Steam and Blizzard games fine at 1080p. :)

Mar 10, 2006

If you had bought the Intel system, you could have just dropped in a Kaby Lake CPU next year without having to rip and replace the motherboard/RAM.

But, meh, if the system works well for you, congrats!

Reactions: bchreng