FX-8350 temps look fine... and then spike up to 255° C for no apparent reason

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
According to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/tools.jsp#cpuoc the cpu should consume 106 W, which is significantly lower than the stock 125W of FX8350. And I can get 106W cpu to work with 2 extra fans and more than this the samurai zz fan blows also over the voltage circuitry.

That tool is worthless. If you note, it makes no changes in power consumption regardless what you set the CPU temperature at.

You 106W processor could be well over 125W.

GeoN2K6

Feb 12, 2013
That tool is worthless. If you note, it makes no changes in power consumption regardless what you set the CPU temperature at.

You 106W processor could be well over 125W.

You might be right however I still think I should be somewhere around 100W even with overclocking especially because I lowered the voltage compared to stock.

As per http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/power-consumption-overclocking_6.html#sect0 the power consumption jumps when you increase the voltage, otherwise frequency increase has little effect on power consumption, and I also lowered the voltage, which clearly feels in the temps.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was interested in the observations about how a motherboard can trigger throttling by artificially maxing out the temp sensor to 255 degrees.

However, are there other ways that the motherboard can trigger throttling, without using this trick?

I'm seeing some behavior that may suggest throttling, but can that happen without spiking the temp to 255 degrees?

It's an FX-6300 chip on a motherboard that has 8+2 phase power and supports up to 140W (Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 using beta BIOS 3030).

The symptom is that I can set the overclock to 4 GHz, 4.5GHz, and 4.8 GHz, but when I examine the plots of the frames per second recorded by FRAPS for these different speeds, there are parts where the plots coincide. Also, I get better FPS when I set the CPU fan to 100%, so I'm starting to think that maybe there is a more gradual throttling with temp. However, the temps seemed to be around 30 degrees and the CPU usage was less than 100%, so I can't see how the fan setting would help things as there shouldn't be throttling under those conditions unless I misunderstand (maybe it was cooling my VRMs?)