FuzzyDunlops Toyota MR2 MK1.5 build thread.

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
I guess the trick to not snapping an axle is to slip the clutch with street radials. If I had slicks and a line lock I could maybe get away with popping ze clutch.

received replacement axles finally. Heres the photo of the spline end that keeps snapping. These ends are from a V6 Camry 1990-1991.
IMAG0621_zpsegsa3pgd.jpg~original

I may actually be able to take the car out yet this year as it hasnt snowed yet (Knock on wood).

Last edited:

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Let's hope these hold up better!

If you're popping the clutch at the drag strip... yeah... that'd do it. Launching on an 'improved' surface can produce a LOT of grip! Don't forget that you've got a foot or so of roll-out, so you don't HAVE to pop it to get a good launch.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Let's hope these hold up better!

If you're popping the clutch at the drag strip... yeah... that'd do it. Launching on an 'improved' surface can produce a LOT of grip! Don't forget that you've got a foot or so of roll-out, so you don't HAVE to pop it to get a good launch.

well... you see, these are things I dont know. Or rather, didnt. I even read through a few beginner drag threads. Either I totally missed this or it was never mentioned.
Or, I'm just not that smart so I dont think things through as much as most people.
The latter being most likely I suppose.

In other news, Good news, I have found rear wheel bearings at 1/3 to 1/5 the price I have seen them anywhere else. http://www.amazon.ca/GMB-770-0359-Wheel-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B004QHGQA6

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
You should put one of these in something. :awe: Unfortunately that auction doesn't appear to include the supercharger..

Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
You should put one of these in something. :awe: Unfortunately that auction doesn't appear to include the supercharger..

Ya man, that looks like a 2GR-FE. You can pull them out of Camry's here in north America as well. Paul Woods in England put one into a MK1 MR2 and supercharged it. I'll see if I can find a link to the build thread. You may need to register at the website to read it. But it's impressive what all he did to the car.
Lots of guys have stuffed them into MK2 and Gouky builds an install kit for it. Last I heard he was working on a supercharger kit as well, which by now is probably available.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?19782-My-stock-Mk1-going-Brutal

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Ive put a Gen4 3SGTE from a Toyota Caldina into this car now. It has coil on plug and a slightly smaller turbo than the Gen2, but the power out put is higher. Everything just feels smooth. Running it at 11PSI and may bump it up to 14 or 15 soon as I believe 17 is where fuel cut begins.

So far I am VERY happy with the engine and its feel in the Mk1. Some minor hiccups here and there still, but Im getting them sorted. Just nice to have a reliable, turn-key and go car... and 280hp to boot.
The fun part is that I am parting out my old Gen2 engine and the swap will end up costing me nearly nothing.

Reactions: NinJake

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
yay... figured out imgur.

Okay for an update.

The 4th gen 3SGTE is installed and runs amazingly well. I currently have it set to 15 PSI max which is enough. It hits full boost at a very low 2400rpm but unfortunately does drop to 11psi past 6000rpm. Its super fun for city driving but I loose out on top end power. I rearranged the Air to Water intercooler hoses so that they only travel down one side of the engine bay. The previous arrangement would not have worked because I had to move the alternator location to the top-front-right of engine bay from the bottom-back-right. I also ditched all the copper lines that I had ran for the intercooler fluid because they interfered with lifts whenever I went to get alignments.

Heres a money shot. I put some heat protecting foil on the firewall. This has been helping a lot for cabin/cockpit temps. I had to get rid of the engine lid latch because it interfered with the intake plenum. Anyone have a source for inexpensive hood-pins? Either that or I figure out how to relocated the latch. The engine lid is extremely ugly right now as well because i had to do some surgery on it to make everything fit under. :/
fdkx0Yj.jpg

Today I installed a pipe to allow for more of a cold air intake. The filter now sits at the left side engine bay vent which I welded in a couple of winters ago. Tight squeeze down there...
m4nTxji.jpg

CtMHtLu.jpg

This puts the intake directly outside the drivers window. Its very loud. but its a good loud sssssssssSSSSSSSSSS thptptptptptpptptptp

Getting the 4th Gen wired was the hard part. Would not recommend anyone do this if they dont have experience with engine harnesses. It was a royal pain and very time consuming... but I did it. Had to replace a couple of sensors. THats the joy of OBD2, it instantly tells me whats not working on the engine... thats awesome!
SpZKCge.jpg

And heres a couple glamour shots
Zinsqe1.jpg

w1KaS3d.jpg

The 883 has been seeing a lot of action this summer as well. Its been a nice summer weatherwise.
C2Ur3w2.jpg

Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
HMMMM THINGS HAVE CHANGED A LITTLE SINCE IVE LAST BEEN HERE... TRYIGN TO FIGURE OUT THE PHOTO SYSTEM.

Well, its been over another year since Ive been here, so I suppose its time for another update on the ol' MK1.5. I see now this thread has almost as many views as the car has Kilometers, which is not something I ever expected when starting the thread. Holy cow.

Last winter I went a little stir crazy again, and managed to make up my mind to alter the state of the car drastically once more. PAINT!!

I was never a fan of the red, and the car was a few different shades of it, so I decided to clean that all up and go for a color that's a but more to my liking. Some say I should have done something a little more colorful, but I appreciate the simplicity of grey on black.

I also wanted a cheap color to mix, and easy to match, and easy to paint. I learned last time I tried to paint a car (see the old Mk1 Mr2 thread for that) that spraying metallics is quite difficult to do well, as one slight misalignment of the gun and the fleck can lay down unevenly. My paint guy did convinced me to add a pearl to the clear, which we did do, so we added a blue pearl, and it does pick up more blue hues in the sunlight.

Here's the point where there was no turning back... start sanding it down.
F0E89RN.jpg

As I started taking material off I found more and more cancer to fix, so i invested in the patch panels from www.twosrus.com and tried to do it properly.
WK2HSdh.jpg

the first couple layers of high build primer laid on sooo nicely. Was very happy with the new gun I bought.
pCQkYjO.jpg

Although, I was unhappy with the initial color. It was much too white, I was hoping for something quite a bit darker..
UT7H3hY.jpg

zsqjucn.jpg

so we mixed up a new batch...
rOfv0jW.jpg

Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
And I am much happier with the results. I opted to keep the black bumpers and door stops and black roof. I think this keeps the '80s appearance more, which I am learning to appreciate. The last time I painted i tried to make the car look more modern, but this time nono... keep the nostalgia.
t0EpHxX.jpg
q4ir9av.jpg
DQc96KO.jpg
tNetDoJ.jpg

And another really fun day! I was invited to a dyno party and was allowed to throw the MR2 up. Although I was by far the lowest HP car there I was still pleasantly surprised and happy with the results.
RNgCfEa.jpg

Approx 275/275, ya Im okay with that. I am only running 14PSI, so I could bump it up a bit, but whats the point. Ive already toasted a turbo and an engine, and the car is still a lot of fun where its at, so nah, it'll stay where its at.... besides I have another toy I am building this winter... and its going to be nutty... for that I encourage you to follow me at instagram @thefastlayne
qgewDfU.jpg

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Looks awesome!
thanks man. Its finally at a place where I am pretty happy with it.

This summer when I have the RX8 moved out of the way I may dive into the MR2 some more and clean some things up again. Ive learned a lot while helping my friend build a RX7 drift car, and also while building the RX8. I will apply what Ive learned to the MR2 to try and make it a little more show worthy.

Reactions: DanTMWTMP and JCH13

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
omg it's you!!! I've been at sea for years and anandtech's website has been difficult to access for sometime for me because internet at sea is so slow. I just got back on land and see a notification of this thread, which I recall a decade ago of you with no previous experience in cars just diving head deep into a total MR2 project car rebuild. I see this is the thread where you took out an engine from a newer MR2, and placed it in a body of the previous gen. SO AWESOME.

I just saw the recent updates and my jaw dropped. This hasn't been in my mind for years and it's awesome to see how far this has come along! AWESOME!

And 275/275 on that chassis?! Dude, that thing must FLY!! Damn man what a labor of love!!

Reactions: yhelothar

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
omg it's you!!! I've been at sea for years and anandtech's website has been difficult to access for sometime for me because internet at sea is so slow. I just got back on land and see a notification of this thread, which I recall a decade ago of you with no previous experience in cars just diving head deep into a total MR2 project car rebuild. I see this is the thread where you took out an engine from a newer MR2, and placed it in a body of the previous gen. SO AWESOME.

I just saw the recent updates and my jaw dropped. This hasn't been in my mind for years and it's awesome to see how far this has come along! AWESOME!

And 275/275 on that chassis?! Dude, that thing must FLY!! Damn man what a labor of love!!
Holy shit, I haven't seen you in forever. Welcome back!

Reactions: DanTMWTMP

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008

bahahah, thanks man! Ya, when i bump into car people from 5-6 years ago they all are sorta surprised I still have the MR2! Some of them have been through 4-5 other cars by now. I dunno. Its hard to sell it. I considered it a couple times. They are becoming more and more rare, and the value on local buy/sell sites has doubled in the last few years. Hard to find any in decent shape for less than $4000 canadian pesos anymore. Also the engine parts are starting to become more rare as well. I've had it out a few times already this spring and its just such a joy to drive, I may never sell it.