Fuzzy monitor, lines, visible pixels, off color.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
My friend gave me the exact same monitor that I have. Syncmaster T220. He didn't use it as it was just sitting in an office.

I brought it home and hooked it up but it has lines through the screen and the colors are off. It looks really bad and fuzzy.

I assume it's broken but maybe there is hope... Maybe I can calibrate it or do some dead pixel test?

I made sure it was not the cables. I plugged in one monitor at a time just to do a fair test and use the same DVI cable.

There are no big artifacts. Every on the screen like the taskbar lines up, Firefox is proper, etc. It's just the quality and it's fuzzy. Text is not very readable.

Here is a comparison of both desktops. Pictures don't really do justice. Had to take it with the flash otherwise you couldn't tell.

See the green at the bottom of the bad monitor?

8684168557_3152550f90_k.jpg

8685287036_04d509857b_k.jpg

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Use a different input cable. If you can detach and try a different DVI cable do that.
If you can try an HDMI cable.
Generally the pins in the cable are bad when you see this stuff.. otherwise it is toast.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
Use a different input cable. If you can detach and try a different DVI cable do that.
If you can try an HDMI cable.
Generally the pins in the cable are bad when you see this stuff.. otherwise it is toast.
I did.

I used the same DVI cable from the good monitor.

I also used a gold plated HDMI to DVI cable.

Could it be the capacitors in the monitor? Maybe I can replace them?

Like I said, the picture aligns properly. There are no artifacts. There are vertical lines though through the whole screen. You can notice is more on certain desktop backgrounds. The colors are also off.

--------

Here is another comparison. I did the Windows 7 default desktop instead of one of my custom ones.

GOOD

8685951055_17e88a0090_k.jpg

BAD

8685951665_76f80d6992_k.jpg

Last edited: