Futuremark entering PC games development.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0

Yes. Epic Games, Id Software, Gamebryo, and Renderware.

I expect Futuremark to fail miserably at game development, because they do so at pretty much everything else.
 

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
30,380
909
126
I thought that one airship demo in 3D Mark 2006 looked pretty sweet and reminded me a bit of the old Final Fantasy games. Get some good writers and that could be good.
 

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
14,488
7
81
Before forming Remedy, four of the founding members were in the demoscene group Future Crew. Originally there was some industry speculation that Remedy was comprised entirely of Future Crew members, but this was dismissed by an employee of partner-company 3D Realms.[1]

Holy shit. It's like the music I used to enjoy became the games I used to enjoy became the benchmarking tool I used. Thats freaky.
 

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
9,537
2
0
Originally posted by: Pugnate
http://www.yougamers.com/news/...l_pc_game_development/

I find that pretty cool. 3D Mark demos have always looked extremely cool, and cutting edge. Does Crytek have competition?
Ya I'd say Epic has already won this round of engine licensing, even though Crysis/CryEngine2 are pretty amazing. Despite UT3's lackluster sales, the UE3.0 is being used in tons of upcoming 2008 titles. There's a 2008 Games thread around here somewhere and the UE3.0 is featured heavily.

I'll give FutureMark the benefit of the doubt. I think they've shown they're pretty capable from a technical/visual standpoint, its just a matter of whether or not they can make a good game that's more than just a tech demo.
 

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Originally posted by: chizow
I think they've shown they're pretty capable from a technical/visual standpoint, its just a matter of whether or not they can make a good game that's more than just a tech demo.

Yeah that is the question, isn't it?

People who can render pretty pictures aren't a rarity, and as well all know, 3Dmark and PCmark are mostly useless.

I'll believe something good can come out of this company when something good does.
 

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
30,322
4
0
hey, with EA and Activision eshewing any new IP, it's nice to have a new developer on the block who will take that risk.
 

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
7,625
4
81
Making a time demo and making a game are worlds apart.

Unfortunently this will probably shut Futuremark down after the cost of their first failed game runs them under.
 

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Originally posted by: CPA
hey, with EA and Activision eshewing any new IP, it's nice to have a new developer on the block who will take that risk.

That's why we have Valve, Ubisoft, and Take Two :)
 

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
1,316
0
0
Originally posted by: ja1484
Ubisoft
Ubisoft has just about given up any kind of quality control for their PC titles. Just attempt to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent or Rainbow Six Vegas. Now they just release the same old Tom Clancy titles over and over.

 

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
Originally posted by: ja1484
Ubisoft
Ubisoft has just about given up any kind of quality control for their PC titles. Just attempt to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent or Rainbow Six Vegas. Now they just release the same old Tom Clancy titles over and over.

I know. They kill me. They have some of the best IPs in the business (Rainbow Six, Prince of Persia, Far Cry) and their execution has just been steadily going downhill lately. They'll be in EA territory before too long, but I guess that's fitting considering the stock situation.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY