Future-proof jobs for americans

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: JohnCU
hmm no one mentioned engineering

Do you really think that job is future proof? They are one of the prime candidates for outsourcing.

<-- engineer

Do you really think an IT person in the government is Future Proof?

<----- Out Sourced!

Look up outsourcing and A76. I suppose other jobs and branches will see this as a way to save money or hide money and this is probably the tip of the ice burg.

Shit Happens.

Are you referring to my earlier comment that a government job in technology should be immune to technology?

I just can't imagine that someone working in the defense industry, especially in a position that requires a security clearance, would have their job outsourced. I don't think someone outside the US can even get a TS clearance.
it's true. you need to be a US citizen and get an extensive background check before you can get a clearance

no damn foreigners allowed, lol

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

Do you really think that job is future proof? They are one of the prime candidates for outsourcing.

<-- engineer

Not civil engineering with the DOT. You need to physically be in the area of the project.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

<-- engineer

<-- electrical engineer and i need to be on site to do work so im not sure how they could outsource me.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
If "futureproof" is only that you have a job, then healthcare is pretty good, so are some aspects computer / network support. Call center work? Forget it. But if you are pre-sales or field support / consulting (and you're reasonably good at it), then you got a pretty good gig.

If you believe that "Universal Healthcare" is a future certainty, then you would want to avoid it. With the cost controls and regulatory burdens, profit & pay will be at their lowest possible levels.

Find a nice civil service job, maybe a snowplow operator. They never go away.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Engineering in Defense work... can't outsource that except too much.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: sunzt

and what a rewarding career that is. God I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

"what do you do"

"oh, I design cluster bombs. I'm trying to maximize the spread of the bomb so as to kill as many people as possible."

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: sunzt

and what a rewarding career that is. God I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

"what do you do"

"oh, I design cluster bombs. I'm trying to maximize the spread of the bomb so as to kill as many people as possible."

Depends on your viewpoint.

I was at a Raytheon hiring event and the viewpoint of their employees was how it was all to protect and save lives of soldiers and Americans.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

<-- engineer

Depends what type of engineering. Any sort of "hands on" type thing can't be outsourced. Kinda hard for someone in another country to run a construction site for example.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
If you work in insurance you're likely in a very secure, and recession-proof, industry. Unfortunately, you have to be a special kind of scum (with rare exceptions) to work in insurance. Especially if you're one of those scum that deny legitimate claims.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
If you work in insurance you're likely in a very secure, and recession-proof, industry. Unfortunately, you have to be a special kind of scum (with rare exceptions) to work in insurance. Especially if you're one of those scum that deny legitimate claims.

What? You want money to save your life? SORRY NOT COVERED. DENIED! Try again next lifetime.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Health care may be the best one. Demand should continue to go up and the hands-on stuff cannot possibly be outsourced.

True, but remember, labor can also be imported via work visas (ie, Phillipino nurses). Also, it's hard for any market to be completely insulated from the effects of Global Labor Arbitrage. After all, if your field is so good, you can bet that hordes of Americans will stampede to try to enter it and to compete for jobs with you, lowering the wages.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Health care may be the best one. Demand should continue to go up and the hands-on stuff cannot possibly be outsourced.

True, but remember, labor can also be imported via work visas (ie, Phillipino nurses). Also, it's hard for any market to be completely insulated from the effects of Global Labor Arbitrage. After all, if your field is so good, you can bet that hordes of Americans will stampede to try to enter it and to compete for jobs with you, lowering the wages.

They're already importing nurses and there are still a shitload of positions left unfilled. Also, it doesn't matter how many Americans want to enter a field, there are a limited number of schools available. And trust me, they're maxed out every year.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Wheezer
health care is probably one of the top five.

Unfortunately I have seen many of the people going into the field...tech schools are really pushing nursing programs....as such many are going in just for the money and don't give two shits about doing the job effectively.

The people I have seen going into these programs is enough to scare you into doing everything you can to maintain your health so you don't have to be in a hospital at all.

some of us care about both

Aug 23, 2000
Software engineering IMO is a really bad choice. Indians can do this over distance.
Some of it they can. Software engineering is not brainless coding as some perceive it to be; it cannot be outsourced as easily as a simple call-center job.

Right,
Many companies thought this though and tried sending a lot of work over seas only to get horrible results because of the language barrier and the poor quality of coding.
Now the import the workers and teach them the American way and kick the Americans out.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Sorry but IT and Telecom are NOT secure jobs. I've known far too many technology workers who left the technology industry altogether after 3-5 layoff's.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I am an engineer, my company outsources tons of engineering all over the world. ITAR doesn't really keep that much work inside.

Edit: That said my company is hiring a lot of people here too.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Sorry but IT and Telecom are NOT secure jobs. I've known far too many technology workers who left the technology industry altogether after 3-5 layoff's.

"IT" is a broad term and can mean many different things. IT can include fields such as information security, which is easily one of the hottest and most stable jobs in the world if you know what you're doing. Telecom I agree with though.