Future of the processor market?

butch84

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
I am on the verge of a processor purchase. I was going to get a pretested PIII 700E from compuwiz, but i was thinking of amd too. i already have a pii mboard, so i would need to buy a new mboard if i went amd. i have about $210 to spend, but im also thinking of future upgradablilty. Does the upcoming athalon4 change anything? How long would a PIII 700E @933 last me? Your thoughts are appreciated!!

Dave

PS- anybody have a good cpu or cpu/mboard combo to sell me??

Thanks

anvil

Mar 12, 2001

Butch,

Did your 433 last long enough? I'm sure any p3 will exhaust your interest in it. Question is whether the increase in performance is worth the added cost.

All the 700+ p3's will give a dramatic improvement. At $210 you can even go for a p3 1gig chip which might even take you up to 1.1+ if you're lucky. It still won't be a 1.5gig monster, but it won't cost as much either. For $140, a 800 can probably get the gig plus, but not a cinch, ... and not in the 1.5+ family.

So if greener grass is always going to beckon, maybe you should go over to the dark side, ... sell what you have to help make the step.

anvil

gunf1ghter

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
Butch,

I already have an overclocked PIII700 running at 933 mhz. You probably will not be able to run such a chip on your current motherboard unless your current motherboard (which you said was a PII motherboard) supports dual voltage and is stable at 133mhz bus speed.

I am upgrading my current rig to a 1.33 Gig K7 Tbird with an Asus K7V133 mobo. The chip and the motherboard together are going to cust a little over $300. Seeing how pretested 700 PIII's are still going for $150-$200 I see this as a no brainer. Especially since the new rig will be approximately TWICE as fast as a PIII 1gig chip in most apps I care about (read: games).

The PIII is an aging/dead core. The nice thing (to me anyway) about going the K7 route now is that the current 266mhz motherboards will be able to support the new Palomino, which should see clock speeds up to almost 2 gig by middle of next year. Current P4 motherboards won't work with the next version of the P4 and P4 motherboards aren't exactly cheap (not good ones anyway). There's also questions about whether or not Intel will finally give in and offer a DDR SDRAM solution, so won't you feel great about spending all that $$ on RDRAM and then throwing it in a dumpster.

well anyway, that's my .02 cents

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
If you are going to change mobo and cpu anyway, then get amd. AMD is looking like their upgrade path for us users will be a lot easier(on the wallet). If you read anands new article, you would know that all the new cpu's that amd has planned are going to be socket a. In terms of at least the next 1 and a half, AMD is a prime choice. For around 215 you could get a iwill kk266, duron(maybe a pretested one from compuwiz) and a vantec hsf(wbk38 class). This will carry you cheaply for the time being until you get a athlon4;), and offer at least 933mhz of speed. IMHO AMD is the way to go(for now)

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
DONT get the abit(sorry abit guys...) the abit isnt half as good as the iwill. the iwill is faster(160fsb+) and has a superior design that offers STABILITY(not a word you see in the same sentance as abit). The iwill is the BEST kt133a offering available.