Future Of PC Gaming, Using A 4K 120Ghz TV As A Monitor! Some Concerns

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
Older games won't be able to support 4k resolutions, could you still run 1080p on a 50 inch 4K Television? I would imagine that there would be huge bars, probably a 32 inch black bar box in the middle of the screen.

I am planning on getting a new video card at the end of the year and possibly a 4k/OLED Hybrid TV in December. The prices are dropping quickly for 4k and you can get one for 2500-3500$ on sale right now. You can go even cheaper if you go with a brand like Seiki.

Still, I do play some older games so 1080p might not look so great on these televisions, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
If the TV set is capable of doing a hardware-based upscaling, it should be fine.

It would take a really powerful high-end GPU to scale anything up from regular computer resolutions to 4K....like those ones on the new Mac Pro, but they retail for almost as much as a low end 4k TV.......

Also, save yourself some hard grief and dont cheap out on the off brand 4k TV's...they are junk......my brother has already had & returned 3 different ones & says he will shoot the first person who suggests he get another one like them.....he is now patiently awaiting delivery of a 85" Samsung..........

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
please see http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2353894

Try turning your current resolution down. What happens?

edit: forgot one more thing, a lot of games are designed to support whatever resolutions windows sees. So if windows is set to 4k, then the game will have 4k as an option. Some games may not do this. Another concern, in that case, is if the UI will scale correctly.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
If the TV set is capable of doing a hardware-based upscaling, it should be fine.

It would take a really powerful high-end GPU to scale anything up from regular computer resolutions to 4K....like those ones on the new Mac Pro, but they retail for almost as much as a low end 4k TV.......

Also, save yourself some hard grief and dont cheap out on the off brand 4k TV's...they are junk......my brother has already had & returned 3 different ones & says he will shoot the first person who suggests he get another one like them.....he is now patiently awaiting delivery of a 85" Samsung..........

Why in god's name would anybody who can afford an 85" Samsung be looking at cheap off-brands in the first place?

EJSLP

Feb 3, 2014
what i wanted to do is buy one of those seiki's and use the 1080 and 1440 resolutions for gaming.
I was looking for larger screen monitors(over a 30") that will do 1440 and the price is way out of my league. they go for at least $1000 and up!
I can get a seiki 50" 4K for $599 and use it for gaming and watching movies. at least i think it would work out?