Future intel chips....

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
any one have an idea what intel has in store for the 1160 skt ? planning a build for november 09 and am gathering info to help me decide i7 940 or lynnfield/clarksfield ?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Kraeoss
any one have an idea what intel has in store for the 1160 skt ? planning a build for november 09 and am gathering info to help me decide i7 940 or lynnfield/clarksfield ?

if u havent heard me bitch, and make a wager with IDC.

ROFL... the i5 is in limbo land.

Meaning we have no idea when its going to come out, and whats funny is the 32nm i5's are due soon. (my wager was you wont see it til next year).

the 45nm i5's most likely near the end of the year. (also i havent seen anything besides a cpu-z for them, so i cant tell you how they handle.)

<bad news tho, i havent seen 1 overclocked, which is not the same thing said about i7 when i was seeing them.>

Well, in short, dont hold your breath, it might take a while since intel has very little pressure.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Personally, I'm more interested in seeing I7 socket 1366'ers with lower thermal wattage. My hopes are based on our prior experience with the progression from Smithfield to Conroe/Penryn. This may be a naive expectation, but given the information I've seen (and I haven't scoured the web for every possible source sof intelligence) -- it seems reasonable.

On the other hand, given the adjustments of other companies in this economy, you wonder if Intel's research and product development might not just slow down a bit.

On the consumer end, I see there are still a lot of people buying Penryn/DDR2 parts and asking how to over-clock them, even though the Nehalem/DDR3 technology has been around now for six months or more.

People have less chump-change to spend -- in the aggregate. And a slump in demand will probably affect Intel's revenue, and the amount of money they're willing to throw into product development.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: taltamir
november 09
There is absolutely no point of asking before october. Contrary to popular beleif, we do not possess the ability to predict the future.

every single one of us has the ability to predict the future

we all do .. look in GH, CPU, Video and P&N

OK?

of course, we are not speaking "accurately"
- you left yourself pretty open by not being specific :p

.. this IS a forum, after all
prognostication is our specialty

rose.gif

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: taltamir
november 09
There is absolutely no point of asking before october. Contrary to popular beleif, we do not possess the ability to predict the future.

every single one of us has the ability to predict the future

;) Some of us even specialize in rewriting the past :p

On the forumz we are all Dr. Who.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
the logistics of overclocking a lynfield is the same as a 920/940. i dont know if there will be an unlocked version. too bad i cant say how nice they will overclock because of NDA, heh.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
mmm i predict my 975 D0 will spank my 965 C0/C1.

Theres my prediction.

Also no 32nm until next year.

jones377

May 2, 2004
Yes it's hard to predict the future but in this can we can repeat what Intel told us last month.

Here you go

45nm Lynnfield 4C/8T - Q409
32nm Clarkdale 2C/4T+GPU - 2010

Apparently no 32nm quadcore until Sandy Bridge (late 2010) which I find very odd but it's what Intel is saying...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jones377
Yes it's hard to predict the future but in this can we can repeat what Intel told us last month.

Here you go

Apparently no 32nm quadcore until Sandy Bridge (late 2010) which I find very odd but it's what Intel is saying...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3513&p=5

32nm Clarkdale is Q409, not 2010, per Intel.

Gulftown is 1H 2010.

As for the no 32nm quadcore till Sandy Bridge...I view this as stemming from Intel seeking to better differentiate the performance delta between their mainstream and enthusiast platforms while maintaining a performance competitive mainstream part.

Now that Intel has seen what 45nm Deneb has to offer in the mainstream segment Intel is apparently confident a 2C/4T Clarkdale will be performance competitive with AMD's offerings for 2010.

(why sell quad-cores that are intentionally underclocked just to dial down the performance for the low-dollar SKU's when you could cut the die size, reduce costs, and clock them at their capability and still have the performance needed to be competitive?)

In the meantime they create the 6C/12T gulftown chip for the server market and let the chip dual-use itself as the enthusiast desktop segment chip, delivering more performance than any mainstream 2C/4T chip could ever deliver regardless how high you overclock it under phase cooling, thus justifying the $1k pricetag for the chop.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Here you go

Gulftown is 1H 2010.

As for the no 32nm quadcore till Sandy Bridge...I view this as stemming from Intel seeking to better differentiate the performance delta between their mainstream and enthusiast platforms while maintaining a performance competitive mainstream part.

Now that Intel has seen what 45nm Deneb has to offer in the mainstream segment Intel is apparently confident a 2C/4T Clarkdale will be performance competitive with AMD's offerings for 2010.

(why sell quad-cores that are intentionally underclocked just to dial down the performance for the low-dollar SKU's when you could cut the die size, reduce costs, and clock them at their capability and still have the performance needed to be competitive?)

In the meantime they create the 6C/12T gulftown chip for the server market and let the chip dual-use itself as the enthusiast desktop segment chip, delivering more performance than any mainstream 2C/4T chip could ever deliver regardless how high you overclock it under phase cooling, thus justifying the $1k pricetag for the chop.

Very good point, that would boost their margins by quite a bit, something that is always important in a financial sense.

jones377

May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Here you go

Gulftown is 1H 2010.

Well I think there are 2 reasons why there is no 32nm quadcore based on Westmere arch. First there is no pressure from AMD and secondly it would replace the 45nm quadcore too soon, giving it no time to ramp up at all. Having one would give Intel better margins but by the time it's needed, Sandy Bridge will arrive.

Maybe Intel will offer a bottom bin quad Gulftown (with 2 cores disabled) on LGA-1366? Call THAT a prediction (which will probably end up not happening ha) :)

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Actually, after reading IDC's post I agree with him, a 32nm LGA1366 quad is unlikely. 32nm LGA1156 is likely, but probably not for 1366. At least, not if gulftowns get released at the same 266/550/1000 price points we're used to now. If they only release an extreme gulftown I expect we will see a 32nm LGA1366 part.

And of course, IF AMD pulls a rabbit out of the hat and released an AM3 hex-core or manages to clock high enough to take the performance lead, Intel has plenty of options to retake the lead.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
No, the mods are Daleks.

EXTERMINAAAAATE

I didn't see a smiley...

Dude, Daleks are awesome. If you don't want to be one then sign me up. It might take awhile to get used to looking like a pepper pot, but the plunger pwnz.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
hehe ok ok i hear yall... well i have a lotta time to watch benchies and stuff hopefully ddr3 prices will be what ddr2 is now. thx for the remarks ;P

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: Kraeoss

if u havent heard me bitch, and make a wager with IDC.

ROFL... the i5 is in limbo land.

Meaning we have no idea when its going to come out, and whats funny is the 32nm i5's are due soon. (my wager was you wont see it til next year).

the 45nm i5's most likely near the end of the year. (also i havent seen anything besides a cpu-z for them, so i cant tell you how they handle.)

<bad news tho, i havent seen 1 overclocked, which is not the same thing said about i7 when i was seeing them.>

Well, in short, dont hold your breath, it might take a while since the current economic situation leads to chips coming slower to market.

Fixed for a more accurate assessment.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
More like the current economic situation leads to cheaper chips coming to market sooner. Thus 32nm being so heavily pushed. Intel wants to move everything down, might as well do it when the people making the equipment is desperate for orders. Move as much as possible to 45nm and 32nm production. 45nm is very mature, 32nm is supposedly shaping up to be just as good, AND smaller.