Discussion Future-focused X570 Motherboard ?

Gelanin

Sep 5, 2019
Are there any motherboard manufacturers out there who are looking into / considering making more future-focused motherboards, and getting rid of alot of "legacy" stuff ?

I would LOVE an X570 motherboard that removed all SATA connections (Only use M.2), all soundcard stuff (Only use external DAC), remove all old USB2.0 stuff, and only have USB 3.2 (Both type A and type C), and just go for 1 single PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for graphics, and as many PCIe 4.0 x4/x2/x1 slots as possible, for M.2 expansion cards, 10G+ network cards and so on.

Oh and for the love of god, no RGB-bling!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'd say that you are in the minority. Just about everything you want won't happen any time soon.

Gelanin

Sep 5, 2019
I'd say that you are in the minority. Just about everything you want won't happen any time soon.
Why ? SATA drives are dying fairly quickly, and Crossfire/SLI are dead, so that should not be a big issue. No sound card might be a bigger issue i guess, and the rest should be fine..... heck, i can even accept RGB stuff, aslong as it's possible to turn off :)

And removing some of this stuff should make the motherboards easier and cheaper to make, less traces/paths stuff to power/connect.

On another note, nice to see another Dune fan (assumption from your nickname)

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Why ? SATA drives are dying fairly quickly, and Crossfire/SLI are dead, so that should not be a big issue. No sound card might be a bigger issue i guess, and the rest should be fine..... heck, i can even accept RGB stuff, aslong as it's possible to turn off :)

And removing some of this stuff should make the motherboards easier and cheaper to make, less traces/paths stuff to power/connect.

On another note, nice to see another Dune fan (assumption from your nickname)
I agree that Sata is on it's way out, but I don't think that hard drives are. SSD drive prices are on their way down, but they have quite a way to go to get to the price point of spinners.

You are right, SLI and Crossfire are dead. I was never a fan, and I guess developers weren't either. Sound cards have become a niche product, ever since they put sound on motherboards. I'm no lover of RGB stuff either, but we both have to admit that it's a thing now. I'm with you, I can put up with it as long as it can be turned off.

Motherboard makers have been making small, medium, and large boards for awhile now. That's how it should be if you ask me. It gives a product for almost everyone.

Yes I'm a lover of Dune. I can't wait for the new movie, and hope it's awesome.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
While I would't want to lose the SATA ports, I agree more m.2 or u.2 would be great. Typically I figure these are found on upper tier boards.

Gelanin

Sep 5, 2019
While I would't want to lose the SATA ports, I agree more m.2 or u.2 would be great. Typically I figure these are found on upper tier boards.
I have a different box/server for my storage needs. For my gaming computer, no sata will be needed :)

Gelanin

Sep 5, 2019
Hard drives will forever be with us. Raid is just to harsh on SSD.
I dont really see why you need raids with PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives..... unless you only have 1 machine, that needs to do everything. My server however still has regular sata drives in raid-6.

Kyron71

Sep 5, 2019
I dont really see why you need raids with PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives..... unless you only have 1 machine, that needs to do everything. My server however still has regular sata drives in raid-6.

I agree that is dumb to raid m2. It will die in 5 to 10 months.

For network drives a mechanical hd is still best. Cost & life currently can't be beat.

Gelanin

Sep 5, 2019
I agree that is dumb to raid m2. It will die in 5 to 10 months.

For network drives a mechanical hd is still best. Cost & life currently can't be beat.
Agreed, but for a "network server", you dont really need an X570 motherboard. Any kind of computer will work more or less.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Are there any motherboard manufacturers out there who are looking into / considering making more future-focused motherboards, and getting rid of alot of "legacy" stuff ?

I would LOVE an X570 motherboard that removed all SATA connections (Only use M.2), all soundcard stuff (Only use external DAC), remove all old USB2.0 stuff, and only have USB 3.2 (Both type A and type C), and just go for 1 single PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for graphics, and as many PCIe 4.0 x4/x2/x1 slots as possible, for M.2 expansion cards, 10G+ network cards and so on.

Oh and for the love of god, no RGB-bling!
Maybe in ten years or so. Legacy ports hang around forever unless you buy an Apple product.