Fury

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
The current tutorial is a placeholder, they should be making a more intuitive one for retail. I had some fun trying out new skills. Rank 10 shatter ftw

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I thought the graphics were pretty crappy looking actually, and I had everything on high. The textures were way low resolution

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Frackal, are you sure you weren't using the low end renderer? It uses the unreal 3 engine for the high end renderer and I thought it looked great. With your 8800 gtx you should be able to crank everything up

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
No I was using the UE3 engine with everything high 1680x1050, I just wasn't that impressed, it looked mediocre to me, particularly up close, with low res textures and not a lot of detail.

I was expecting more because it was the UE3 engine.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Ah okay, well I think the devs said they were going to improve textures both performance and quality wise before release. How'd you like the gameplay?

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
It seemed interesting, I'm looking forward to a demo of the full version. I haven't gotten a chance to play through it just yet

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: imaheadcase
Originally posted by: Chronoshock

Gameplay is very similar to WoW battlegrounds

Oh good thanks for the warning so not to waste money.

actually I'd say its pretty far from WoW Battlegrounds

I mean, there are basic similarities, but... I would liken it to Quake III Arena but instead of skills in reflexes/aiming you are pretty much relegated to button mashing. I mean it is kinda fun, but at the same time really, really stupid. Its basically who is the better twitch gamer and can press buttons faster (the game is VERY fast paced). There were plenty of times I won fights only because my ping was like 9-11ms to the battleground servers. I mean it was neck and neck.

Also, due to the match up system it got to the point where basically no one could kill me unless I missed a key press, and I could kite groups of people around all day until I got backup or the game ended. But every now and then I'd go up against a group of higher ranked people in a guild who would decimate everyone. Not to mention starting out and for a good portion of the beginning the battlegrounds were agony, getting owned nonstop.

Has a long way to go before I would really consider buying it, it looks like shit, runs like shit, has a bad memory leak, and doesn't have much in terms of content, I mean, I basically did everything there was in the game in one weekend. However, it does seem kinda fun, I'll definitely give it another try after it has been polished a bit more next weekend.

All in all I think it would be nice to see this kind of game with a "Rune" style combat.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: novasatori

I mean, there are basic similarities, but... I would liken it to Quake III Arena but instead of skills in reflexes/aiming you are pretty much relegated to button mashing. I mean it is kinda fun, but at the same time really, really stupid. Its basically who is the better twitch gamer and can press buttons faster (the game is VERY fast paced). There were plenty of times I won fights only because my ping was like 9-11ms to the battleground servers. I mean it was neck and neck.

Also, due to the match up system it got to the point where basically no one could kill me unless I missed a key press, and I could kite groups of people around all day until I got backup or the game ended. But every now and then I'd go up against a group of higher ranked people in a guild who would decimate everyone. Not to mention starting out and for a good portion of the beginning the battlegrounds were agony, getting owned nonstop.

Has a long way to go before I would really consider buying it, it looks like shit, runs like shit, has a bad memory leak, and doesn't have much in terms of content, I mean, I basically did everything there was in the game in one weekend. However, it does seem kinda fun, I'll definitely give it another try after it has been polished a bit more next weekend.

All in all I think it would be nice to see this kind of game with a "Rune" style combat.

Heh unless you hit grand master, you haven't even started the game. That is one thing that I've seen discourage or mislead a lot of people. The feels like a button masher initially because you really just have one or two damage spells due to limited abilities and equip points. I use every single one of my 24 skills multiple times per battle. Luckily there really is no grind, I was able to hit GM in only two weekends of play.
The game only looks bad when you're using the low end renderer. It looks fine on the normal one, but it requires some decent hardware. The memory leaks and performance issues are being addressed in the next build. The one used in the preview weekend is about 2 months old (they forked it off the source tree at the start of the closed beta).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I went to download this the past weekend but it looked like you need a Fileplanet subscription to get it... is this true or was I just being an idiot? :eek: I tried checking sites like 3DGamers for it, but they didn't have the game.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You can get it with a free fileplanet subscription. Just log in with a free account and you should see the free servers to download it from. There are also a number of mirrors (and a torrent) posted in the fury forums.
As for it being pay to play, the devs have said the current plan is to have you purchase the game in stores and then allow you to either play online for free, or pay for optional stuff (unknown at this point) which they say will NOT give a competitive advantage. The details to the pricing plan will be released in August

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You can get it with a free fileplanet subscription. Just log in with a free account and you should see the free servers to download it from. There are also a number of mirrors (and a torrent) posted in the fury forums.

Okay, I thought there was a free one, but Fileplanet kept showing subscription images and mentioned nothing about "Free", so I just ignored it. I do have a 3DGamers account, which I believe doubles as a GameSpy and Fileplanet account.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
As for it being pay to play, the devs have said the current plan is to have you purchase the game in stores and then allow you to either play online for free, or pay for optional stuff (unknown at this point) which they say will NOT give a competitive advantage. The details to the pricing plan will be released in August

Okay, so like a less critical version of SilkRoad's online market or whatever.

I'd go for that, totally. The SRO market never bothered me much, an even less invasive kind would be even more pleasant.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: novasatori

Heh unless you hit grand master, you haven't even started the game. That is one thing that I've seen discourage or mislead a lot of people. The feels like a button masher initially because you really just have one or two damage spells due to limited abilities and equip points. I use every single one of my 24 skills multiple times per battle. Luckily there really is no grind, I was able to hit GM in only two weekends of play.
The game only looks bad when you're using the low end renderer. It looks fine on the normal one, but it requires some decent hardware. The memory leaks and performance issues are being addressed in the next build. The one used in the preview weekend is about 2 months old (they forked it off the source tree at the start of the closed beta).

I reached Immortal, while not the top of the tier, I had plenty of skills in water and growth on my bar and used them all, however a button masher is still a button masher.