FurMark!

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Holy shit that thing really heats up your video cards. I broke 100C with my 5770, hahahahahahaha, I couldn't believe it. Exactly 101C at 935/1300 but it didn't crash or anything.
If you're overclocking your video card and haven't run Furmark yet I suggest you do to find out if you're really stable...

Last edited:

Blue Shift

Feb 13, 2010
Imma test the passive cooling on this biatch!

Edit: Oh, wait... XP/Vista 32-bit...

Edit 2: Well, it ran. Basic settings, asymptotically approached 72 c
Extreme burning mode failed to launch.

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I've found that Furmark is not really a good test of stability...more a test of the cooling. I could run Furmark at certain settings but 3DMark Vantage would crash at those settings.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've found that Furmark is not really a good test of stability...more a test of the cooling. I could run Furmark at certain settings but 3DMark Vantage would crash at those settings.

I have seen similar results also. But like said it does pump up the heat!

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

this

and ATI was right about it being a "power virus" as it quickly helped me diagnose my botched 3rd party cooling attempt

the digital VRMs on the reference 5800s require very robust cooling, stick-on heat sinks wouldn't do the trick for me so I ended up removing the baseplate of the stock cooler (which actually has a heatpipe built into it for the VRMs) and am using that to cool the RAM and VRMs along with my actively cooled Accelero S1 for the GPU.

Even then, FurMark at best only offers super extreme case heat production peace of mind (such as gaming on the hottest of days) as the most stressful games won't come close to what FurMark can do to your GPU and VRMs.

Its a nice tool for quickly figuring out ballpark stability settings, but the best measure of stability is playing a bunch of games and running a few different benchmarks.

We can also get into differences of opinion here, as there are some cases where cards won't be stable for FurMark but will be for games and benches.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Its a nice tool for quickly figuring out ballpark stability settings, but the best measure of stability is playing a bunch of games and running a few different benchmarks.

Yep that's what I used it for. Just to see at what speed the core would start to artifact with voltage set to what is in my sig. Which in Furmark was 965. 3dmark Vantage will crash at 960 tho. Is stable at 955 but just use 950. When testing the mem was dropped down to 1200 to make sure. But I figured my mem is good to go as my 3dmark score just kept climbing as I kept bumping it up. Figure 950\1300 is not bad with such little voltage to the core. Some good cheap free speed for very little effort well worth the slight risc :)

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Is pretty much useless. If you can game for 6 hours you're stable, I don't need 15 minutes of furmark to tell me otherwise >.>

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
My passively cooled 5450 cards ran in the 60s at idle so I screwed a tiny fan on the heat sink. The temp is now 36 and with furmark never went above 43.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
if you use furmark, remeber to rename the exe file...as ATI has a special profil in their driver for the exe, to "clamp" it down.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
if you use furmark, remeber to rename the exe file...as ATI has a special profil in their driver for the exe, to "clamp" it down.

-For the 4xxx series. The 5xxx series has hardware regulation.

Don't do it though you'll kill your card then Lonbjerg will laugh at you.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
Pretty useless program. It unnecessarily puts stress on the video card and, like was said above, isn't a good stability tester.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
GodisanAtheist said:
-For the 4xxx series. The 5xxx series has hardware regulation.

Don't do it though you'll kill your card then Lonbjerg will laugh at you.
I concur with GodisanAtheist. ATI throttles the card for a reason. Yea your Nvidia friends may laugh at you for it, but its much better than having your VRMs burn out.

ATI has a much different architecture than Nvidia. It has a massive amount of theoretical power that remains untapped during real world games because of how its designed. That doesn't mean its inefficient, because its definitely not; but, when a program is allowed to exploit the architecture, the card sucks way more power than it was designed to handle. If I recall, the actual core of the card doesn't really mind FurMark too much, but the VRMs get overworked and die.

BababooeyHTJ

Nov 25, 2009
I concur with GodisanAtheist. ATI throttles the card for a reason. Yea your Nvidia friends may laugh at you for it, but its much better than having your VRMs burn out.

ATI has a much different architecture than Nvidia. It has a massive amount of theoretical power that remains untapped during real world games because of how its designed. That doesn't mean its inefficient, because its definitely not; but, when a program is allowed to exploit the architecture, the card sucks way more power than it was designed to handle. If I recall, the actual core of the card doesn't really mind FurMark too much, but the VRMs get overworked and die.

I thought that it was the memory, my GTX280 uses the same vrms and still draws more in furmark but has more of them.

There were a lot of early 4870s with degraded memory.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
anandtech said:
On the opposite side of the ability to achieve such low idle power usage is the need to manage load power usage, which was also overhauled for the Cypress. As a reminder, TDP is not an absolute maximum, rather it’s a maximum based on what’s believed to be the highest reasonable load the card will ever experience. As a result it’s possible in extreme circumstances for the card to need power beyond what its TDP is rated for, which is a problem.

That problem reared its head a lot for the RV770 in particular, with the rise in popularity of stress testing programs like FurMark and OCCT. Although stress testers on the CPU side are nothing new, FurMark and OCCT heralded a new generation of GPU stress testers that were extremely effective in generating a maximum load. Unfortunately for RV770, the maximum possible load and the TDP are pretty far apart, which becomes a problem since the VRMs used in a card only need to be spec’d to meet the TDP of a card plus some safety room. They don’t need to be able to meet whatever the true maximum load of a card can be, as it should never happen.
Why is this? AMD believes that the instruction streams generated by OCCT and FurMark are entirely unrealistic. They try to hit everything at once, and this is something that they don’t believe a game or even a GPGPU application would ever do. For this reason these programs are held in low regard by AMD, and in our discussions with them they referred to them as “power viruses”, a term that’s normally associated with malware. We don’t agree with the terminology, but in our testing we can’t disagree with AMD about the realism of their load – we can’t find anything that generates the same kind of loads as OCCT and FurMark.
Regardless of what AMD wants to call these stress testers, there was a real problem when they were run on RV770. The overcurrent situation they created was too much for the VRMs on many cards, and as a failsafe these cards would shut down to protect the VRMs. At a user level shutting down like this isn’t a very helpful failsafe mode. At a hardware level shutting down like this isn’t enough to protect the VRMs in all situations. Ultimately these programs were capable of permanently damaging RV770 cards, and AMD needed to do something about it. For RV770 they could use the drivers to throttle these programs; until Catalyst 9.8 they detected the program by name, and since 9.8 they detect the ratio of texture to ALU instructions (Ed: We’re told NVIDIA throttles similarly, but we don’t have a good control for testing this statement). This keeps RV770 safe, but it wasn’t good enough. It’s a hardware problem, the solution needs to be in hardware, particularly if anyone really did write a power virus in the future that the drivers couldn’t stop, in an attempt to break cards on a wide scale.

This brings us to Cypress. For Cypress, AMD has implemented a hardware solution to the VRM problem, by dedicating a very small portion of Cypress’s die to a monitoring chip. In this case the job of the monitor is to continually monitor the VRMs for dangerous conditions. Should the VRMs end up in a critical state, the monitor will immediately throttle back the card by one PowerPlay level. The card will continue operating at this level until the VRMs are back to safe levels, at which point the monitor will allow the card to go back to the requested performance level. In the case of a stressful program, this can continue to go back and forth as the VRMs permit.
By implementing this at the hardware level, Cypress cards are fully protected against all possible overcurrent situations, so that it’s not possible for any program (OCCT, FurMark, or otherwise) to damage the hardware by generating too high of a load. This also means that the protections at the driver level are not needed, and we’ve confirmed with AMD that the 5870 is allowed to run to the point where it maxes out or where overcurrent protection kicks in.
On that note, because card manufacturers can use different VRMs, it’s very likely that we’re going to see some separation in performance on FurMark and OCCT based on the quality of the VRMs. The cheapest cards with the cheapest VRMs will need to throttle the most, while luxury cards with better VRMs would need to throttle little, if at all. This should make little difference in stock performance on real games and applications (since as we covered earlier, we can’t find anything that pushes a card to excess) but it will likely make itself apparent in overclocking. Overclocked cards - particularly those with voltage modifications – may hit throttle situations in normal applications, which means the VRMs will make a difference here. It also means that overclockers need to keep an eye on clock speeds, as the card shutting down is no longer a tell-tale sign that you’re pushing it too hard.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/11

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Usually I don't like to patronize but, wow! I mean wow! Its this kind of analysis that makes AT the best tech site around, ATM.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Pretty useless program.

Useless or not, I like to know all my computers are fully stable no matter what I throw at them. Now this is not even summer yet, I'll be testing my rigs in July once again...

shangshang

May 17, 2008
ugh you sounded like you just ran Fur for the first time in your life!

This Fur test thing is so artificial it doesn't have as much value to me. Game stability has a lot more to do with drivers developement than Furmark telling you anything. If I'm OC a video card, first thing I'd do is launch a few games. If they don't crash/freeze, then I declare the card stable.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
ugh you sounded like you just ran Fur for the first time in your life!

This Fur test thing is so artificial it doesn't have as much value to me. Game stability has a lot more to do with drivers developement than Furmark telling you anything. If I'm OC a video card, first thing I'd do is launch a few games. If they don't crash/freeze, then I declare the card stable.

+1. Cryostasis and Crysis seem to be the best two games to use for stability testing. Cryostasis is really sensitive for shader frequency. Crysis seems to be more sensitive for memory frequency. My first 295 started artifacting in Crysis before other games did, and it subsequently died. It looked like you were playing in Wonderland. lol

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Noticed something strange on a new build. With a Core i5 750 I can run 3 Prime95 threads and Furmark (whatever new one v1.8 with the fancy new looks). If I run 4 threads, Furmark dies. With three threads plus Furmark I'm running around 95% CPU utilization across all cores. Furmark as a process takes around 20-25% of all four cores (basically almost a whole core to itself). I'm hoping that's normal behavior.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Well I always see things like this as a reference kind of like Prime 95 is. Just because your overclocked processor can run Prime 95 for 10hrs doesn't mean it won't crash in a game. You need do test your system under all conditions to make sure it's stable.