Furmark 1.5.0

lamere

Jul 22, 2006
no thanks, i'd like to make my card last or at least get the $$ i spent out of it before i willingly set it on fire

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: lamere
no thanks, i'd like to make my card last or at least get the $$ i spent out of it before i willingly set it on fire

Yup, better this way. My 4870 touched 100 C on the VRMs with this one. No other game or program out there managed to heat my VRMs that much, with the fan set at 66%.

This program is like a Linpack for GPUs.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
My 9800GTX only maxed out at 53c at 100% fan. :p

Score 1287 o3Marks
FPS Min: 19
FPS Max: 28
FPS Avg: 21

1440x900

Everything stock

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: lamere

Your card is not fully tested unless it completes a FURMARK test ;) ,anyway thanks error8 for the update,my 4870 loves FURMARK :).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: JPB
Hey Mem, what was your score for your 4870 ?

Can't remember but temp record was 93c with no artifacts(fan on auto),I'll probably retest it again this weekend.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Mem

Can't remember but temp record was 93c with no artifacts(fan on auto),I'll probably retest it again this weekend.

I guess you renamed "furmark.exe" ? Temps were much lower until I changed the executable name.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
In the rthdribl or whatever its called, my temps reached 63c load. That is the highest I have ever seen it. Furmark it only reached 53c

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: error8

I guess you renamed "furmark.exe" ? Temps were much lower until I changed the executable name.

Why is that? Are the ATI drivers special-casing this program?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

Yeah. I guess the ATI engineers know that their cards are going to die with this program, so they're making a special "tweak" inside the drivers, so that the cards will survive it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

Yeah. I guess the ATI engineers know that their cards are going to die with this program, so they're making a special "tweak" inside the drivers, so that the cards will survive it.

:roll:

No, it's because they are tired of people complaining about heat. The cards heatup because ATI chose quiet operation vs fast fan speed.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

:roll:

No, it's because they are tired of people complaining about heat. The cards heatup because ATI chose quiet operation vs fast fan speed.

I heard a lot of people had their 4870 cards crashing under furmark, when the fan speed was kept on stock.
Your Visiontek has the stock cooler on it? Try the xtreme burning mode with the fan set on stock and see what happens. I guess it will crash, since the VRMs will probably get over 120C and even the gpu migh see very high temps. I don't think that ATi "modified" the furmark test, just because people complained about high temps. It should have been more to this for them to bother that much for tweaking the drivers.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I ran it and my gpu went up to 68C max. I run with manual 60% fan speed on the stock 4870 cooler.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Ok, so I ran this Furmark again with my card overclocked. It started showing some flashing dots near the spinning doughnut. I exited Furmark and fired up ATI tool and ran artifact test and there were artifacts all over the image. Even when I ran the card on stock, the artifacts were still there. Did a reboot and now everything seems to be working fine again. I uninstalled Furmark and I'll never use it again. There is something terribly wrong with it. :(

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
From the symptoms, sounds like a heat problem. Overheating vRAM can give those sort of artifacts. Stopping the stress test and allowing to cool (reboot) was a wise move.

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
Ok, so I ran this Furmark again with my card overclocked. It started showing some flashing dots near the spinning doughnut. I exited Furmark and fired up ATI tool and ran artifact test and there were artifacts all over the image. Even when I ran the card on stock, the artifacts were still there. Did a reboot and now everything seems to be working fine again. I uninstalled Furmark and I'll never use it again. There is something terribly wrong with it. :(

How far do you have you memory overclocked on your 4870? mine isnt stable after 1040mhz

download rivatuner and check the vram tempretures

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Ares202

How far do you have you memory overclocked on your 4870? mine isnt stable after 1040mhz

download rivatuner and check the vram tempretures

My memory is not stable even 100 mhz higher then stock. It used to be stable at around 3900 mhz, but not anymore. My vram was around 75 C or so when it artifacted, with GPU-Z. The hottest were the VRMs at 105 C. Maybe those were guilty for the artifacts. It doesn't matter, since I'll never use Furmark again. There isn't any game that can stress my card that hard, so why should I use it!? This thing is dangerous.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
The stresser gets the GPU in the 80C range here! :shocked:

My score using this card.

Factory O/C without mods. I tried using the precision tools to o/c further and got the GPU over 700MHz and the memory to 2400MHz but the fur test would get dots all over and lock the machine if allowed to continue. Dropping the clocks a little made them go away but the speed difference is negligible. Video card overclocking is the most disappointing thing for the hassle. (unless you buy a bargain GPU and hit a high clock it MAY be worth it)

error8's issue is actually common with GPU overclocking. Often when you go high enough to see artifacts you need to restart the machine! Try running the program with factory clocks. If you see artifacts then your card cannot handle extreme stress levels. It may still game OK in most cases and it becomes an issue of whether it bothers you or not. Personally if my system chokes on something that other systems can run it I'm not happy and will do what it takes to fix it.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Rubycon

error8's issue is actually common with GPU overclocking. Often when you go high enough to see artifacts you need to restart the machine! Try running the program with factory clocks. If you see artifacts then your card cannot handle extreme stress levels. It may still game OK in most cases and it becomes an issue of whether it bothers you or not. Personally if my system chokes on something that other systems can run it I'm not happy and will do what it takes to fix it.

Well all that artifacting occurred at 820 mhz core clock. I was stable at 815 mhz and I told myself to try upping it a bit more and test it with Furmark and bang, all hell broke loose. I'll use ATI tool from now on, since it never failed on me and it didn't kill any of my videocards. Furmark has something weird going on, since my VRMs were over 100 C at one time with the stock cooler at 66%. I never went over 75 C with any game or any program, so I guess that is overkill, since I'll never get to stress my card that hard in any other situation.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It doesn't matter, since I'll never use Furmark again. There isn't any game that can stress my card that hard, so why should I use it!? This thing is dangerous.
I'd like to know how running furmark compares to running F@H GPU 24/7 on your GPU. Does it heat up similarly? My two 9600GSOs (without fan tweak, I can't find one that works), reach 80C and 70C. I think that the limit for 9600GSOs is 80C, so I'm right against the limit. Not getting EUEs though, so I guess it's stable for now. I would really like to find out how to increase fans to 100% to keep my cards cooler, but RivaTuner 2.2.0 doesn't seem to support my card or perhaps the 180.70 drivers.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

GPU is at stock speeds all around. No need to OC it. :p

The reported 3.6GHz CPU speed is incorrect; I'm only at 3.2GHz. Windows shows the same speed. CPU-Z shows the correct 3.2GHz speed. No idea why that happens. Anyway, what's the diff b/t Furmark 1.5 and 1.4? :confused: If you can run this test for an hour, your GPU overclock is 100% guaranteed stable. :D