Funny cartoon - Dems and national security

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: her209
Have you?
Lamest obfuscation attempt of the week :thumbsdown:
Thanks for making my point... what was your reason for asking Lemon law this question?
I haven't, and I don't pretend I have, like some here do. I'll take the word of Iraqi citizens living there over some keyboard commandos with a left-wing agenda, OK?
Who here pretended that they've been to Iraq?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Looking at the last 3-4 months of his work, we can't go to war with Iran fast enough for his liking.

The timing decides on if we get a conventional war or a nuclear war. The world faced the same appeasement choice in 1938 when Chamberlain obtained the very thing you strive for today. The result of his ?peace for our time? is that millions of people were killed in a worse war.

So yes, we cannot stop nuclear proliferation fast enough among fanatical zealots sworn to convert or kill all 6 billion people.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Thanks for making my point... what was your reason for asking Lemon law this question?

Nice try on selective quoting. Try reading the paragraph I wrote under that question for the answer.

All of you who have tried to tell us that "Iraq is worse off now than under Saddam". I'm paraphrasing, though one actually did write it with those exact terms. And each and every time I ask for some evidence, the silence is deafening. I wonder why?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Nice try on selective quoting. Try reading the paragraph I wrote under that question for the answer.
The only problem I see is you're trying to qualify your conclusion with the preceding question, "Been to Iraq lately?".
All of you who have tried to tell us that "Iraq is worse off now than under Saddam". I'm paraphrasing, though one actually did write it with those exact terms. And each and every time I ask for some evidence, the silence is deafening. I wonder why?
So you have no evidence that someone has pretended they've been to Iraq. All you have is conjecture.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The only problem I see is you're trying to qualify your conclusion with the preceding question, "Been to Iraq lately?".
So you have no evidence that someone has pretended they've been to Iraq. All you have is conjecture.

Funny thing how STILL no one can defend the idea that Iraq is worse off now...heh...all they can do is nail you on the who has and hasnt been to Iraq :p

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Ouch... like they say humor has to have a ring of truth to it to be funny...

There are other ways of being tougher on National Security. Resorting to conduct that spits on the principles of the United States for our peace and security is the coward's way out.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Funny thing how STILL no one can defend the idea that Iraq is worse off now...heh...all they can do is nail you on the who has and hasnt been to Iraq :p
Oh good one. You got me!

Since no one can make a evidential claim to the contrary, your claim MUST be right.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Oh good one. You got me!

Since no one can make a evidential claim to the contrary, your claim MUST be right.

That good old "Anti-tiger" rock I keep in my pocket sure is working well too. ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: loki8481
any chance either of you could explain to me how democrats are supposed to pass these things through congress?

Sure. You and others seem to think they are going to walk all over the republicans in the mid-term elections so then they should have no problem.

you realize that these were not written in the future, right?

arnold didn't come back in time to deliver a truckload of political comics before killing sarah conner :p

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Oh good one. You got me!

Claim Iraq is better off now than under Saddam.
Proof: recent poll where 61% of Iraqis still think that even after all they have been threw that the removal of Saddam was a good thing.
61% still think that getting rid of Saddam was worth it "Thinking about any hardships you might have suffered since the US-British invasion, do you personally think that ousting Saddam was worth it or not" 75% of Shia think it was, only 11% of Sunni not surprising since they lost the most.
Now where is your proof that things are worse off in the eyes of the people who live there?
Go ahead and post the casulty figures for civilians in the last three years, since we know that more people died on average over the 24 years Saddam was in power than have died in these 3 years.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Oh good one. You got me!

Claim Iraq is better off now than under Saddam.
Proof: recent poll where 61% of Iraqis still think that even after all they have been threw that the removal of Saddam was a good thing.
61% still think that getting rid of Saddam was worth it "Thinking about any hardships you might have suffered since the US-British invasion, do you personally think that ousting Saddam was worth it or not" 75% of Shia think it was, only 11% of Sunni not surprising since they lost the most.
Now where is your proof that things are worse off in the eyes of the people who live there?
Go ahead and post the casulty figures for civilians in the last three years, since we know that more people died on average over the 24 years Saddam was in power than have died in these 3 years.
That doesn't prove anything about that state of Iraq. It proves that a majority of Iraqis are glad Saddam is gone.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Todd33
Truth hurts, but those are oversimplified mis-characterizations. Even an 80 IQ repug can see that.

or an anal retentive elitist lib with delusions of grandeur :)

try harder junior ;)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
That doesn't prove anything about that state of Iraq. It proves that a majority of Iraqis are glad Saddam is gone.
It proves that Lemon's blanket statement "which is now more miserable than under Saddam" is not true, at least in the eyes of 61% of the people who actually live there.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I laughed. :) Funny, but inaccurate/oversimplifying.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus

It's difficult to include all of the complexities of some issues in a 6 panel cartoon.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I think the funniest thing this President has ever said is...

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Wiretaps, illegal searches, secret prisons, Patriot Act, Habeas Corpus....

If it weren't so sad, I'd die of laughter.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
I think the funniest thing this President has ever said is...

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Wiretaps, illegal searches, secret prisons, Patriot Act, Habeas Corpus....

If it weren't so sad, I'd die of laughter.

Even though its not a book, he's adding it to the burning list. Just keep the flag away from the flames though.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The other consideration is that is about the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people---and Mr. Ramirez has zero impact with them---they have more important things to worry about--like surviving Bush's liberation that puts them all in danger of their lives---which is now more miserable than under Saddam.

Been to Iraq lately?

Every survey/poll I've seen indicates the exact opposite. I'd like for you to provide some evidence here to support your ludicrous claim, but I won't expect it. The same BS has been shoveled out by your comrades and the silence is deafening.

I've seen polls indictating that opinion on that are very divided, and its closer to 50/50 than a strong consensus.

EDIt: spelling and formatting

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Looking at the last 3-4 months of his work, we can't go to war with Iran fast enough for his liking.

The timing decides on if we get a conventional war or a nuclear war. The world faced the same appeasement choice in 1938 when Chamberlain obtained the very thing you strive for today. The result of his ?peace for our time? is that millions of people were killed in a worse war.

So yes, we cannot stop nuclear proliferation fast enough among fanatical zealots sworn to convert or kill all 6 billion people.

please, where does nuclear war come in to this conversation? Or for that matter, how does Iran begin to compare at all to germany in the late 30's? Germany at that time was still near the pinnacle of its wealth and power, only 20 years before hand it had narrowly lost a war in which it took on nearly every other major power in the world. Comparing 30's germany to a 3rd world shthole like iran is a joke tbh.

You haven't provided any evidence either, hypocrite ;)

EDIT: removed personal attack.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
It proves that Lemon's blanket statement "which is now more miserable than under Saddam" is not true, at least in the eyes of 61% of the people who actually live there.

The question is not asking "is life better now than under saddam" its asking "is what happened to your country worth it to get rid of saddam." So no, in fact that doesn't prove that lemon has wrong. Things could easily be worse than they were, but they could also think that the sacrafiuce was worth getting rid of saddam.

Now if you were to ask them "Looking at your everyday life, are you how would you compare it to yur life 6 years ago, better, worse or the same"

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: yllus

It's difficult to include all of the complexities of some issues in a 6 panel cartoon.

And he did as much to ignore the accuracies and complexities as he could.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Todd33
Truth hurts, but those are oversimplified mis-characterizations. Even an 80 IQ repug can see that.

Exactly!

Which means that Bush supporters cannot.
Face it: Only very dumb childmolesters and their friends support Bush.