Funny cartoon - Dems and national security

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
I saw this cartoon in the Oct 2 edition of Investors Business Daily. I can't post a link to it, because you need a subscription. The artist is Michael Ramirez, so if you do a search, you might be able to find it.

Politician 1: It's time for change! Let's show America Democrats are for national security!
Politician 2: Here! Here!
Politician 3: Yeah!

Politician 1: We will pass tougher measures to fight terrorism!
Politician 2: Actually, we're against the Patriot Act.
Politician 3: No profiling.

Politician 1: Uh... then we'll use advanced technologies to listen in on terrorists' plans!
Politician 2: We're against the NSA program.
Politician 3: Ditto on bank transfers.

Politician 1: Um... then we'll capture terrorists and make them talk!
Politician 2: Absolutely not!
Politician 3: Terrorists have rights too!

Politician 1: Then we'll find a special place to lock them away forever!
Politician 2: Sorry, no Gitmo.
Politician 3: Habeas corpus.

Politician 1: We'll kill Bin Laden?
Politician 2: We're against the death penalty.
Politician 3: Maybe we could dress him up like a fetus?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Ouch... like they say humor has to have a ring of truth to it to be funny...

You don't mean to tell you agree with racial profilling, the Patriot Act(s), NSA Wiretapping program and are agaisnt Habeas Corpus?

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Michael Ramirez is a neocon cartoonist and this is election time - time to be as partisan as you can in order to influence the sheeple.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Funnier with the caricatures, but a little bit too mean-spirited to be funny. Now, take Al Franken's 'supply-side Jesus'...that was hilarious.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lots of inconsistanies also with GWB's positions---who is a hypocrit's role model---and a target of nearly every other political cartoonist---but at the end of the day---we must compare
the positions of everyone else---be they moderate republicans and democrats---which vary widely---and the known position of GWB and the neo-cons---and realise that the GWB plan is a well defined known failure that is not even being altered.

The other consideration is that is about the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people---and Mr. Ramirez has zero impact with them---they have more important things to worry about--like surviving Bush's liberation that puts them all in danger of their lives---which is now more miserable than under Saddam.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
It's a funny thing, but even with the slanted versions of the supposed 'democrat' positions, I still agree with all of them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't really get it.

how could the democrats do any of those things when they're in the minority and they're facing one of the most partisan political landscapes ever?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
I don't really get it.

how could the democrats do any of those things when they're in the minority and they're facing one of the most partisan political landscapes ever?
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Ouch... like they say humor has to have a ring of truth to it to be funny...
Originally posted by: daveymark
bwahahahaha! The truth hurts! :thumbsup:

any chance either of you could explain to me how democrats are supposed to pass these things through congress?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Truth hurts, but those are oversimplified mis-characterizations. Even an 80 IQ repug can see that.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To Loki8481,

You evidently don't understand the kool aid you are supposed to drink---the fact that the neo-cons have a failed plan that is not working---and that plan is better than any other peoples plan's that might work---and even if those other plans may not involve cutting and running---since the GWB plan does not involve cutting and running---anything not from GWB DOES INVOLVE CUTTING AND RUNNING---its GWB's way or the highway---please review George Orwells 1984 if you are confused on the meaning of any rethoric covering these topics.

And above all understand--if the GWB plan fails---its because the democrats choose to be unpatroitic. Even if we can purge all democrats from government---its still the democrats fault.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The cartoon is right on all accounts. It does not give opinion, merely makes a parody of stances we've seen taken by a political party. Both sides deliver far worse propaganda on each other every minute of the year, this is hardly something to work yourselves up over.

Of course, I might understand the shock of seeing something opposite of what the media prints daily. Maybe you?re only used to seeing and laughing at liberal made parodies.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Originally posted by: Todd33
Truth hurts, but those are oversimplified mis-characterizations. Even an 80 IQ repug can see that.

Looking at daveys and other responses, mmm, don't think so....

Actually that could be the standard for the average repug ;)

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
any chance either of you could explain to me how democrats are supposed to pass these things through congress?

Sure. You and others seem to think they are going to walk all over the republicans in the mid-term elections so then they should have no problem.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The other consideration is that is about the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people---and Mr. Ramirez has zero impact with them---they have more important things to worry about--like surviving Bush's liberation that puts them all in danger of their lives---which is now more miserable than under Saddam.

Been to Iraq lately?

Every survey/poll I've seen indicates the exact opposite. I'd like for you to provide some evidence here to support your ludicrous claim, but I won't expect it. The same BS has been shoveled out by your comrades and the silence is deafening.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Looking at the last 3-4 months of his work, we can't go to war with Iran fast enough for his liking.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Been to Iraq lately?
Have you?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Have you?

Lamest obfuscation attempt of the week :thumbsdown:

I haven't, and I don't pretend I have, like some here do. I'll take the word of Iraqi citizens living there over some keyboard commandos with a left-wing agenda, OK?