funniest Final Fantasy X review ever

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by SandEagle, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhljJjTUdrg

ok, just stumbled across this guy. he has a 2 hour review of FFX and it revolves around his hatred for Tidus. the guy reminds me a lot of Jon Stewart. 30 minutes in and absolutely hilarious. check it out

#1 SandEagle, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. crisium

crisium Golden Member

Spoony also did an extremely comprehensive review of FFVIII. He hates on Squall, but secretly he must like him.

3. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

will have to check it out. never heard of him before, but i am a fan of his reviews now. lol

4. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

I never really got why so many people seemed to hate Tidus. Sure he could be a little whiny now and again, but he wasn't that bad. If he wanted to hate on anyone in that game, there's that acolyte girl, Shelinda IIRC, that you keep running into who was like rusty nails on a chalkboard to me. I also grew tired of Seymore pretty quickly. Just how many times can you recycle the same boss?

5. Daverino

Daverino Platinum Member

I learned this word yesterday:

supercilious

6. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Meh.

But I never played X so I guess I could be missing something.
    I am currently in the middle of X-2. I hate the chick stuff but the job system is excellent.

7. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

i liked X2. but i could never play it without playing X first.

oh yeah, dude has an X2 review too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYH38rFJxI

8. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Spoony has been around for awhile, and his reviews are usually always golden.

His FF8 review is great as well.

What I love is his ability to cut threw the fanboy bullshit and call a game on it's stupidity and inconsistencies. Sometimes they're minor and comical, I usually attribute that to cultural differences between the West and Japan.
    But other times, it's story/plot/character related nonsense that actually affects the game and how I feel about it.

This was the case with FF8 and FF10. There are so many instances of pure "What..the *...was that about?" moments, it overwhelms the lame, nonargument of "Well, it's a fantasy game, you have to suspend disbelief, yadda yadda yadda".
    To some extent, yes, but in so many cases in FF8 and FF10, the "asininity meter" is just always so close to being maxed out, I just simply can't care what the game is trying to convey...it's doing to so poorly and with virtually no logic or sense behind it, I lose all interest.

9. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

Wow! Two people who liked X-2?! I always considered that a horrible excuse for a sequel. It took the fantastic emotional story of X, and just massacred it. It did have a few moments, but to me it was just a series of mini-games masquerading as a sequel.

You should do yourself a favor though if you don't have the International version. Go and find the little 3-5 minute game engine generated movie they did that links the end of FFX and the start of FFX-2. For some reason that got left off of the NA release.

10. pathos

pathos Senior member

I loved x2.

but, I was fond of x as well, so perhaps thats telling you something?

And no, I didn't hate tidus. never understood all the tidus hate either.

11. A Casual Fitz

A Casual Fitz Diamond Member

I really liked Final Fantasy X. This guy's hatred is mostly just irrational nonsense.

12. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

It's fine if people like it, I just am unable to comprehend how anyone could. Still, I don't need to understand it, just accept that it's possible. It just kind of irks me that they took the wonderful dramatic story, with about as close to a tear jerker ending as you'll find in a video game, and then when they make a sequel (the first ever direct sequel to a FF game no less) it's this collection of minigames with maybe 5-6 hours worth of content that actually related in any way to FFX. It'd be kind of like saying Mario Kart or Mario Tennis was somehow a direct sequel to say Mario 2.

Anyway, that's my little rant on the topic.

13. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

These games would be just ok as lame mainstream shovelware games if they weren't called "Final Fantasy".

When you make a tetris game and throw pictures of tits in it and put Final Fantasy on the front cover; it's guaranteed to be garbage.

The series peaked at 6. It's gone downhill since.

Only reason 7 is so "big" is the mass market mainstream got their first RPG so it's a big deal to them, just like current gen players think Halo and CoD are the first shooters ever made or something. The story sucks and the 30 second ending? WTF was that all about.

I bought every one up to X and was "meh" after each one. But X-2 was the first one that I took back to the store and went postal in the store until they gave me a full refund on the opened game just to get me out.

As far as I'm concerned Square doesn't exist anymore. All the people who put their hearts into the older games without worrying about dollar signs have all retired, there is nothing left.

#13 exdeath, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  14. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

i really enjoyed X-2. i guess it was more of getting a chance to re-visit the different locations in Spira. The battle sequences were good and much faster than X. plus, after seeing Yuna depressed for so long in X, it was quite refreshing to have her get a bit wild and have some fun. i wish they'd make an X-3.

15. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

What exactly is irrational about it?

Many of the characters can easily be considered annoying, far too much of the plot is absurdly nonsensical (yes, far beyond the usual sci-fi realm of tolerance), and there's a general overload of "What the * did I just watch?" moments.

Great if you liked it. But he makes some damn valid points. And when it comes to points about GAPING plot holes and annoying characters...yeah...that kinda matters in an RPG.

16. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Entirely too true.

Funny review though. Reminds me of the Red Letter Media review of the Starwars prequels, which if you haven't seen you should definitely watch.

17. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

The story is shit but the gameplay is solid.

I liked the story in 7 even though it was a turn to a more cinematic, less interactive form of Final Fantasy.
    I did not care as much for the story in 8 and hated the gameplay. Despised it.
    9 was meh.
    12 I did not like at all.
    Skipped the MMO versions cuz I dont like MMO's.

I dont think I'll be getting a PS3 just for 13. Maybe in a couple years when I have a job and can afford toys again.

18. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

13 is probably the peak of annoying characters. I couldn't take more than 20 hours of the game as it would cycle through some character in an emo conversation followed by a simplistic battle and rinse and repeat. Why can't their be an RPG where you feel like something besides a whinny apologist?

19. darkswordsman17

Oh, you screwed up, it just starts to be any good at 20 hours. :awe:

20. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

[​IMG]

21. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I've given up on Square. They haven't made anything exceptional since PS1.

I'm really salivating for Ni no Kuni, couldn't care less about another Final Fantasy.