Fun With The Post Office

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I mailed a defective Peltier device back to 3DFXCool via USPS Priority mail. Well I get a telephone call today from the post office in Washington State and they want to know what a Peltier Device is, what one looks like and even what it is used for. This message was on my answering machine when I got home from work.
My first thought is that they are screening my mail. He then goes on to say in the message that the package "broke open" up there and that they are looking for the "device".
Now I have no idea how that package could have came open without anything short of a hand grenade, so I suspect that they opened it for some reason and are real curious as to what it is.
I feel like telling them it is a part to a nuclear trigger mechanism.
Bad idea?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Probably a very bad idea. While I'm sure they're a little less stringent than airports, it's not worth the risk. Tell them the truth, & if they've actually damaged it/lost it...sue their ass!

:D

Viper GTS

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
I would never try to make a joke with any government agency. I used to work for one. Trust me, Jimbo, don't make funnies with Uncle unless you want a lovely 5-year vacation at Club Fed.

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
I bet WW is right... Echelon is tracing you now from you typing "hand grenade" "nuclear" and "USPS"... wonderful, now they are tracing me now! Damn the NSA! Oops... how do I get out of this one!

stomp

Oct 9, 1999

<< &quot;broke open&quot; up there and that they are looking for the &quot;device&quot; >>

Doesn't that mean they lost it and don't know where it is?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Tell them to go ask some clerks or carriers. The PO is full of brilliant people, but they're not in management, they're on the workroom floor.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Even if they suspect it, they cannot open your package without a warrent. So I doubt they just opend it out of curiousity.

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
The USPS has every right to search ANY mail even without a warrant or suspision. I can't remember where I read that but I was shocked to find that out.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I resisted the urge to tell anything other than the truth. I swear, you just can't have any fun anymore. :)
I called today at 2:30PM and they had already gone for the day. I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Jimbo

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm . . .

Just tell them it's a broken part out of an automotive drink cooler/heater . . . that's what they use.