Fun With Fry's Combos

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
$79 Pentium D 805 & ECS P4M800PRO-M V2

Notes:

Bare CPU does not include a heatsink/fan (pick up a cheap Arctic Cooling unit online).

Overclocking with this ECS motherboard works best if you use a single stick of memory and a PATA hard drive. Even then, you are better off with low-FSB/high-multiplier CPUs because this motherboard doesn't have too much headroom.

Yes, I know I've only been running Stress Prime for 30 minutes when I took the screenshot; I'll update it later after 12 hours, but I've overclocked a few of these combos and they all do this speed without a problem.

A Core 2 Duo will be faster and use less power; the cheapest Core 2 Duo combo at Fry's is almost 100% more money. This is more than enough power for a majority of the PC users out there.

An AMD X2 3800+ combo would also be faster, but again it costs about 90% more money.

Add a cheap/quiet $15 Arctic Cooling heatsink/fan, a $40 Antec Sonata II/PSU (also from Fry's), a $20 250GB WD PATA hard drive (from Staples), and a $20 Samsung 16X DL DVD+/-RW from Microcenter, and a stick of $40 512MB PC3200 (damn high RAM prices)...and you have yourself a mighty-fine dual core system for roughly $215 (the motherboard has an AGP slot, but the built-in audio/video/LAN work fine for office use).

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Add a cheap/quiet $15 Arctic Cooling heatsink/fan, a $40 Antec Sonata II/PSU (also from Fry's), a $20 250GB WD PATA hard drive (from Staples), and a $20 Samsung 16X DL DVD+/-RW from Microcenter, and a stick of $40 512MB PC3200 (damn high RAM prices)...and you have yourself a mighty-fine dual core system for roughly $215 (the motherboard has an AGP slot, but the built-in audio/video/LAN work fine for office use).

Don't forget another $100+ for your choice of XP/Vista... unless you want to run Linux. Still though, not a bad system for the money.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: SexyK

Don't forget another $100+ for your choice of XP/Vista... unless you want to run Linux. Still though, not a bad system for the money.

Indeed, but OS cost stays the same regardless of what kind of system you build. Vista Ultimate is the same price regardless of whether you're running a cheap Fry's combo or a quad-Opteron workstation.

I'm running Vista Business on one machine and XP Pro SP2 on another; from a workstation perspective, there is no incentive to upgrade at this time.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
A Core 2 Duo will be faster and use less power; the cheapest Core 2 Duo combo at Fry's is almost 100% more money.

Only $60 more.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: jpeyton
A Core 2 Duo will be faster and use less power; the cheapest Core 2 Duo combo at Fry's is almost 100% more money.

Only $60 more.

$150 - $79 = $71

$71 / $79 = 0.90 * 100 = 90%

melloyello

Mar 31, 2006
i got that same combo to upgrade an old athlon t-bird.

warning: when I OC, the SATA controller went haywire and took my new VISTA installation down. Not only do I have to run it at stock, but I had to reinstall windows. PATA appears to work fine when OCed...

edit: what drivers did you install for VISTA? the VIA 4in1 drivers or nothing? I didn't install anything, and just let VISTA do the update thing and it seems to run ok...