Fun driving roads

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to go on a 2 week vacation to Hawaii (Oahu, Maui and Kauai), with a day stopover on the west coast of California on the way back to the east coast. I have never experienced so much fun driving as I did on this vacation.

The first fun drive, and probably the most exhilarating, was the Road to Hana. The trip started at mile marker 0 and ended up at the Kipahulu District, where we turned around and headed back the same way.

xozyPp7.png

65PgUhG.png

For this trip I had a measly 2020 Kia Optima "FE", which stood for "fuel efficient". While it did get awesome gas mileage in eco mode, the car was actually pretty fun to drive in sport mode. We set out at around 8am and stopped and many of the roadside attractions, a lot of them quite scenic. On the way to the park at the end, I got a feel for the car and also how this road is. I've never driven on quite a road, which is VERY windy and VERY narrow. There are also a lot of one-way bridges, and during the morning/early afternoon the bridges had cars parked along the side of the road because people tend to take pictures or hike. This made the road even more narrow.

However, by the time we got to the end and finished our 2hr long hike, the sun was setting. Most suggest not driving the Hana Highway at night, but this is actually a lot more fun for spirited driving. There weren't many cars, and the ones that I caught up to would kindly pull off when they had a chance to let me by. I did the same when the obvious locals came up behind me, they know the road and would be going quite fast. My co-pilot (girlfriend) was gripping the "oh shit" handle during most of the ride back, but I was just having a blast. Since the road is pretty uninhabited (although most of it was well paved until the very end), there are no street lights. This had me checking the GPS on the car's screen pretty often to see when sharp corners were coming up.

Towards the very end, I had a car that was behind me for a while so I pulled over to let him pass. He stopped in the middle of the road behind me and shouted "you're doing great, keep going!" My girlfriend though that was the best compliment (as did I). It was probably easier to drive with me in front since my taillights let him know where the road was and he could follow me into the turns. I was actually a little sore at the end of this drive, and I'm only 34 years old!

yAQ9dzW.png

In Maui, we also drove up the Haleakala volcano for sunset. While this looks like a fun drive, it was hampered by slow drivers. Both on the way up, and on the way back down when it is strongly recommended to use low gear because of how steep it is. I was barely touching the brakes, but most others were riding them most of the way down. Wonder how hot
those brakes got.

hI9vXDh.png

0uTaah6.jpg

In Kauai, I got a great deal on renting a convertible so we got the ecoboost Mustang. This car was beat, dents and scratches everywhere and the Mustang emblem on the trunk was missing? Did most of the driving in Sport+ mode, normal mode felt boring. Driving to the north shores of Kauai was fun, but nothing like the Road to Hana. The fun drive on this island was up Waimea Canyon. Not as windy or dangerous as the Road to Hana, but being on the edge of the canyon was a great scenic ride. Also a very smooth ride most of the way, until the end where there were holes spanning across the whole road, some looked like they were two feet across and a foot deep. Slow drivers hampered some of this drive as well, but it was still enjoyable with the scenery.

6ln1SOz.png

dVLrhPK.jpg

The last drive was down the Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1) as we decided to stop over in California for a day to break up the loooong day it would have been to fly from Hawaii to the east coast in a single day. We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and then set out down hwy 1 without a destination. Made it just past Lucia when I decided to turn around.

For this I had a 2021 Challenger R/T. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what, but when I booked a "sporty car" I expected to get the low tier Mustang/Camaro/Charger/Challenger. So when I got to Enterprise at 9pm when they closed and the guy told me he had a Hemi waiting for me I was a bit taken back. The thing sounded great, and was actually fun to drive. Comparable power to my Trans Am, but much heavier. Quickly tuned on sport mode, the V4 mode was really messing with my fun.

Another scenic drive, some fun twists and turns and made sure I had my radar detector just in case. It was just fun to drive down the coast with no destination and stop at any of the scenic overlooks I wanted to. This whole road was well maintained and bridges were easy to cross (except Bixby Bridge, which had cars parked everywhere). A drive I would love to do again and go further, just to see more of the coast and drive more of the road.

This trip has me planning other fun drives. I think the next one I'll do is Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, since that is close to DC and I have a place to stay there.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I did the Road to Hana last year. Was a lot of fun, but definitely interesting at times on the non-paved sections. This picture was taken on the South side of the island on the Piilani Highway on my way back to The Grand Wailea. The waterfall pic is the 80' waterfall found at mile marker #45 - Wailua Falls.
IMG_20210917_175341301_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210917_161005131_HDR.jpg

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've never driven in Hawaii (or been there), but I've been up and down the Route 1 several times, and just as many times up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I can't make up my mind about it. They are both a means of spending any marvelous day at the right time of year. You want to catch the trees of the Appalachians in the fall, but in the spring, you'd have the dogwoods, so I recommend either.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We've done the Road to Hana a couple of times in shitty rental cars. Never in a hurry, so speed didn't matter to me...just stay on the fckn road! The first trip we made to Hana was by helicopter. Flew in, got a nice van ride back to the Maui airport. Stopped at numerous places along the road, had a GREAT catered lunch in Hana, in all, a great experience. Once we found out the road wasn't as bad as people said it was, we made the drive both ways after that.
Been up Haleakala twice. Great views. The last time we were there was in mid-December...and it was COLD at the top. You could see snow on the mountains on Hawaii.

aaj.sized.jpg

Drove up and down the CA 1 a couple of times. From Carmel to Morro Bay, then (sadly) back home for work. I worked on the Bixby bridge in...99? 2000? something like that. Great views...when it wasn't foggy and cold.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to go on a 2 week vacation to Hawaii (Oahu, Maui and Kauai), with a day stopover on the west coast of California on the way back to the east coast. I have never experienced so much fun driving as I did on this vacation.

The first fun drive, and probably the most exhilarating, was the Road to Hana. The trip started at mile marker 0 and ended up at the Kipahulu District, where we turned around and headed back the same way.

xozyPp7.png

65PgUhG.png

For this trip I had a measly 2020 Kia Optima "FE", which stood for "fuel efficient". While it did get awesome gas mileage in eco mode, the car was actually pretty fun to drive in sport mode. We set out at around 8am and stopped and many of the roadside attractions, a lot of them quite scenic. On the way to the park at the end, I got a feel for the car and also how this road is. I've never driven on quite a road, which is VERY windy and VERY narrow. There are also a lot of one-way bridges, and during the morning/early afternoon the bridges had cars parked along the side of the road because people tend to take pictures or hike. This made the road even more narrow.

However, by the time we got to the end and finished our 2hr long hike, the sun was setting. Most suggest not driving the Hana Highway at night, but this is actually a lot more fun for spirited driving. There weren't many cars, and the ones that I caught up to would kindly pull off when they had a chance to let me by. I did the same when the obvious locals came up behind me, they know the road and would be going quite fast. My co-pilot (girlfriend) was gripping the "oh shit" handle during most of the ride back, but I was just having a blast. Since the road is pretty uninhabited (although most of it was well paved until the very end), there are no street lights. This had me checking the GPS on the car's screen pretty often to see when sharp corners were coming up.

Towards the very end, I had a car that was behind me for a while so I pulled over to let him pass. He stopped in the middle of the road behind me and shouted "you're doing great, keep going!" My girlfriend though that was the best compliment (as did I). It was probably easier to drive with me in front since my taillights let him know where the road was and he could follow me into the turns. I was actually a little sore at the end of this drive, and I'm only 34 years old!

yAQ9dzW.png

In Maui, we also drove up the Haleakala volcano for sunset. While this looks like a fun drive, it was hampered by slow drivers. Both on the way up, and on the way back down when it is strongly recommended to use low gear because of how steep it is. I was barely touching the brakes, but most others were riding them most of the way down. Wonder how hot
those brakes got.

hI9vXDh.png

0uTaah6.jpg

In Kauai, I got a great deal on renting a convertible so we got the ecoboost Mustang. This car was beat, dents and scratches everywhere and the Mustang emblem on the trunk was missing? Did most of the driving in Sport+ mode, normal mode felt boring. Driving to the north shores of Kauai was fun, but nothing like the Road to Hana. The fun drive on this island was up Waimea Canyon. Not as windy or dangerous as the Road to Hana, but being on the edge of the canyon was a great scenic ride. Also a very smooth ride most of the way, until the end where there were holes spanning across the whole road, some looked like they were two feet across and a foot deep. Slow drivers hampered some of this drive as well, but it was still enjoyable with the scenery.

6ln1SOz.png

dVLrhPK.jpg

The last drive was down the Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1) as we decided to stop over in California for a day to break up the loooong day it would have been to fly from Hawaii to the east coast in a single day. We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and then set out down hwy 1 without a destination. Made it just past Lucia when I decided to turn around.

For this I had a 2021 Challenger R/T. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what, but when I booked a "sporty car" I expected to get the low tier Mustang/Camaro/Charger/Challenger. So when I got to Enterprise at 9pm when they closed and the guy told me he had a Hemi waiting for me I was a bit taken back. The thing sounded great, and was actually fun to drive. Comparable power to my Trans Am, but much heavier. Quickly tuned on sport mode, the V4 mode was really messing with my fun.

Another scenic drive, some fun twists and turns and made sure I had my radar detector just in case. It was just fun to drive down the coast with no destination and stop at any of the scenic overlooks I wanted to. This whole road was well maintained and bridges were easy to cross (except Bixby Bridge, which had cars parked everywhere). A drive I would love to do again and go further, just to see more of the coast and drive more of the road.

This trip has me planning other fun drives. I think the next one I'll do is Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, since that is close to DC and I have a place to stay there.

That drive up the canyon in Kauai was one of my favorite parts of our trip to Kauai with the kids. Stopped and had a little picnic lunch at Kokee state park, and of course shave ice back in Waimea. Probably took a couple hundred pictures that day. I have to say that's my favorite island.

Nov 17, 2019
I've done Blue Ridge and the extension Skyline Drive a few time. There are a bunch or roads that don't have popular names and aren't on tourist maps, but I've forgotten most of them.

Natchez Trace Parkway was OK, but I can't say exciting or fun.

Then there was the Alaska Highway before it was paved .... 1,500 miles (or so) of gravel.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've done Blue Ridge and the extension Skyline Drive a few time. There are a bunch or roads that don't have popular names and aren't on tourist maps, but I've forgotten most of them.

Natchez Trace Parkway was OK, but I can't say exciting or fun.

Then there was the Alaska Highway before it was paved .... 1,500 miles (or so) of gravel.
This allows me to sing the praises of my latest retro-hardware project: capturing all the LA and San Diego OTA broadcast TV channels and distributing the selection to my ROKUs on our LAN. I CAN GET "ICE ROAD TRUCKERS"! It's so wonderful! TV is the wave of the fu-ture! Soon, all sorts of people will have them TV sets in their homes and watching all sorts of wonderful stuff!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Wyoming Forest Road 300 was fun for me in September. Really all of the mountain roads out there. Colorado 14 is great as well. Unfortunately for me I had to drive through Nebraska to get there, which is one of the least interesting drives I've ever done.

Beware the Labor Day campers though. Such slow, much honk.20220907_122619.jpg

Reactions: herm0016

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Wyoming Forest Road 300 was fun for me in September. Really all of the mountain roads out there. Colorado 14 is great as well. Unfortunately for me I had to drive through Nebraska to get there, which is one of the least interesting drives I've ever done.

Beware the Labor Day campers though. Such slow, much honk.
road 300 out of lander?

HA. yes. we drive up 34 to Estes park on the regular. the tourists are annoying.

great drives in CO also include and are not limited to:
139 Douglas pass, Fruita to Rangely.
145 Cortez to telluride
10 /blm 103 from Jelm wyoming to 14 between Gould and rustic

Wyoming: too many to list.

wy 130 and wy70 are some of my favorites.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
road 300 out of lander?

HA. yes. we drive up 34 to Estes park on the regular. the tourists are annoying.

great drives in CO also include and are not limited to:
139 Douglas pass, Fruita to Rangely.
145 Cortez to telluride
10 /blm 103 from Jelm wyoming to 14 between Gould and rustic

Wyoming: too many to list.

wy 130 and wy70 are some of my favorites.
Yep. I always wanted to see Wyoming, so I took the WRX out there in September. Wonderful place. I wish I could move out there, but it's not likely unless I radically change careers. Hopefully I can get some land for retirement though.

Oct 9, 1999
I've used Mad Maps before for route planning (this is a motorcycle friendly routing https://www.madmaps.com/ ) - but it helps to get state level maps from AAA and look up curvy roads in the area. There are some really awesome roads out there ... AAA maps helps. I have a road atlas for the USA and a thomas guide that is SO useful.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I drove those routes in Hawaii as well. We go every two years. been to all the islands. Slow drivers are always the issue and single-lane bridges, are fairly common. California has many winding mountain roads to travel and IMO some of the best driving anywhere.