Full Tower PC Chassis inquiry

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
Greetings folks,

I’m currently searching the hardware market for my next Full Tower PC Chassis for my 2013 new Performance PC built. During my research I’ve identified 2 possible candidates that have all the features I require and I need your expert advice to know specific details in order to make an informed decision.

What I need to know is:

1. Thermaltake Level 10 GT (Snow Edition):

• Are the default fans replaceable?

2. NZXT Phantom 820 (Gunmetal):

• CPU Heatsink clearance: Is it compatible with the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011?

Here are some PC components of the built for reference:

a. CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
b. X79 Desktop Board: ASUS Sabertooth X79
c. X79 Desktop Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB [F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH]
d. GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition [02G-P4-2678-KR]

Your advice, suggestions
and comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
1. Yes. I have yet to come across with a case that has fans that are sized specifically for that case alone. They will usually conform to the standard sizes that are available as an off the shelf purchase.

2. That case is big. Not the biggest but it'll fit a Noctua NH-D14, no doubts.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Unless you're doing something crazy like a SR2 board (dual 2011s with 4 16x PCI-e slots), you'll be able to fit anything in a mid tower already. A full tower will just give you more space to work in.

Most 120mm and 140mm case fans are standardized. They are interchangeable unless you have a very special case. Anything larger (180,200,240), may not be interchangeable. For example, NZXT and Cooler Master's 200mm fans are not the same.

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I currently own a NZXT LEXA Blackline which is a Mid Tower Chassis. The space inside is Ok for that PC’s hardware, but it created some clutter and higher temperatures. So this time I chose a Full tower Chassis for my new built based primarily on the cooling performance and the ease of work that the plenty of space inside provides. Also, Cable Management plays a big roll.

Since I want the best performance, when it comes to PC Chassis, money is not an issue; except for the original Thermaltake Level 10 & Limited editions ($800 to $1000) which are way too expensive.

Anyway, back to the original subject:

• Thermaltake Level 10 GT (Snow Edition): The 200mm fan on the left side panel door seems integrated to the panel structure and does not have a wire - rather the circuit is reconnected once the door is closed. My concern is that if that fan fails, due to this unique design it might not be replaceable with a regular 200mm fan. That would be an issue.
  • NZXT Phantom 820 (Gunmetal): My concern with clearance is that the 200mm fan on the left side panel, according to the online reviews and product pictures, would be in very close proximity to the CPU Heatsink (NH-D14 SE2011) and to the GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW). I can’t change my selection of CPU Heatsink and I would like to add another GPU down the road for SLI fun.

Do you folks have any comments and/or information on the above?

Regards,

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Chances are, the fan connectors in the Thermaltake case isn't proprietary but a standard 3 pin connected to a PCB with contacts. I assume the connector is attached semi-permanently with some hot melt glue which shouldn't be difficult to remove. Even if the wires are connected directly to the PCB, a soldering iron saves the day.

There shouldn't be a height issue clearance as the side fan is near the GPU, not high enough to block the CPU heatsink. As for the GPUs, they have a standard height except for a few aftermarket coolers. That EVGA card is a standard height GPU, no problems there.

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
Thank you for your replies, comments & suggestions!

Now, this is some very interesting information that has really helped me. Based on it and the online research I did, I finally made a decision.

The Chassis has plenty of space inside for all the new hardware (even watercooling), the cooling performance I need and many features (like integrated fan controller).

Also, I got to say I came to the right place and I’m glad I found the answers to my inquiry. You all are very knowledgeable, indeed.

Regards,

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
lamborghini-reventon-1.jpg

thermaltake-level-10-gt.jpg

CA-113-NX_60533_350.jpg

I... I don't see it. In either one. :confused:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
And RV02 or RV03 would look the most like the decent car made from that once proud Italian Super Exotic sports car manufacturer.