Question full tower and 2 GPUs question

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Hi there,

i am considering to get full-tower, for the very first time, for my next build. I am looking at something from Fractal Design, be it 7Xl or Meshify XL or maybe even one of the new Pop XL cases, since i like their design and currently own Define R5.

My reasoning for this is to get more space for 2 GPUs, which i intend to run, for one of them (or both?) to be mounted somehow differently (vertically?) via the riser cable and avoid having them sandwiched next to each other (since modern GPUs pretty much 3slots guaranteed).

However, i am googling around a bit and i am not seeing much stuff so far concerning this, there are videos on youtube with vertical mounting, but single card only. I thought about mounting the second card somewhere into the free space in the front of the case, where the disk cage historically used to be, but seems thats not how its done, havent seen it done anywhere like that.

Does anyone here have any insight into this? Do i actually gain anything by going full-tower for this purpose? Or is the only way to improve on the thermals to get the cards watercooled?

Thanks

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I only know of 2 cases that have 2x vertical GPU mounting support, the Lian Li PC-012 & the ASUS ROG Strix Helios.

It might be possible to use the info on this page to get it working in a Feractal case.

Reactions: Timmah!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Vertical layout gpu's are horrible in regular towers, because the intake is so close to the side panel, they starve for air.
Gamer Nexus Steve even did a test on this.

They tested it against a cable mods vertical mount, which pushes the GPU back further so it doesn't starve for air, but not many cases do that, as you run into structual issues with the mount is located in the center like that, with heavy GPU's.

Vertical Layout GPU's should be left for watercooled gpu's, unless your case is a horizontal form factor, like a thermaltake Core X1.
I know you want to show off your shiney RGB, but it really showed be left to watercooled gpu's.

Reactions: Timmah!

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Vertical layout gpu's are horrible in regular towers, because the intake is so close to the side panel, they starve for air.
Gamer Nexus Steve even did a test on this.

They tested it against a cable mods vertical mount, which pushes the GPU back further so it doesn't starve for air, but not many cases do that, as you run into structual issues with the mount is located in the center like that, with heavy GPU's.

Vertical Layout GPU's should be left for watercooled gpu's, unless your case is a horizontal form factor, like a thermaltake Core X1.
I know you want to show off your shiney RGB, but it really showed be left to watercooled gpu's.

thanks for reply.

i actually dont want to show off anything, i might even get the case without glass. I actually have the case on my desk on the left side of the display, and then there is a wall, so even if i went with windowed case, the window will be turned straight into the corner of the room.

My interest in this is strictly all about improving temps. If the vertically mounted card starves for air, then it does not solve anything, might as well plug it straight into the bottom slot right under the first card and the result would be the same.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
If you really want to improve temps, then think about water cooling. It really helps GPU temps, especially with two cards close together.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just wondering why you are looking at using a 2 card solution on the build. Both Nvidia and AMD have been effectively slowly dropping all support for these configurations as it used quite a bit of engineering time in the drivers to support each and every game out there.