Full Frame Price Wars

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
If you've been following photo forum chatter, the 5D2 just started shipping this past week (@ $2699 in the US).

Now the Nikon D700 has dropped price as well; Adorama and Amazon are selling it for $2399, with other retailers to follow.

The Sony A900 debuted at $2999, but I'm also seeing bodies available for ~$2400 USD on eBay (albeit gray market). Canadians can also take advantage of the current exchange rate; Sony has the A900 at $2999 CAD (~$2400 USD). I think Sony is also poised for a domestic price drop.

Of course, the cheapest option is a used 5D1. Over the past week of scanning the classifieds, I've seen them between $1000-$1500 as people upgrade to the 5D2.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Man, I can't wait until I have enough cash to drop some dough on my hobbies again :)

Dec 26, 2007
The early 5D2 reviews/pictures/etc look great. Double the MP and reduce noise from the 5D? Very Nice Canon. The 5D was one of the best cameras across any line for ~2 years until the D700 came out. Then it was a tossup in PQ, but the Nikon won out in features. Now Canon appears to take back what the 5D offered.

Wish I had the cash to drop on it, but the 5D my gf has works well for now ;)

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Love competition. I'll get a 5D2 a year from now or the first time I see one for $2000. (Fat chance!)

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm personally hoping that Nikon introduces some full frame weathersealed video goodness. Ultimate professional travel camera?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I'm personally hoping that Nikon introduces some full frame weathersealed video goodness. Ultimate professional travel camera?

Didn't Canon already make that in the 5D Mk. II?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: 996GT2

I don't believe it's weathersealed. But the video is amazing apparently? Much better implementation than the D90 I think?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005

I don't believe it's weathersealed. But the video is amazing apparently? Much better implementation than the D90 I think?

It's weather sealed. Whether it is FULLY weather sealed I'm not sure, but so you'd have to put one through the shower to test it yourself ;)

The Canon video implementation has AF, so it's a big, big plus over the D90's video.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Coming from a source who were always right, Nikon's entry level FF camera is in preparation.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
im not diggin the sony sensor. they were dumb, they let the marketers win and went for the megapixel race. instead of jammin 24 MP on the sensor they should have used 18-20 and had less noise. the full frame a900 and the new 8k full frame nikon use the same noisy damn sensor.

so sad

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com

just stop taking pictures in your shower and you should be fine.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
Coming from a source who were always right, Nikon's entry level FF camera is in preparation.

any ideas on the price point target?

I'll be excited when I see something along the lines of the 5D mkI (yeah, I) sell for 999 new, heh. Until then, it's crop bodies for me. Plus, I really like my 50-135... love the range I get coupled w/ it being smaller than the 70-200/2.8 (i will not enjoy having to upgrade to that when I go FF, heh)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Originally posted by: andylawcc

even lower-end than D700????

D700 is more like a flagship camera.

What price range?
D300 level is a safe bet.

Hell, the D300 is already 90% D700; swap the sensor and voila.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh

any ideas on the price point target?

I'll be excited when I see something along the lines of the 5D mkI (yeah, I) sell for 999 new, heh. Until then, it's crop bodies for me. Plus, I really like my 50-135... love the range I get coupled w/ it being smaller than the 70-200/2.8 (i will not enjoy having to upgrade to that when I go FF, heh)

that's because it only produces images like the 70-200 f/4. which it's only marginally smaller than.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
What price war? Canon is leading and the others are reluctantly following as they must to stay nominally competitive.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003

If the D700 is Nikon's flagship, then what is the D3, D3X? Unless you are saying Nikon has more then one flagship? :confused:

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dnuggett

If the D700 is Nikon's flagship, then what is the D3, D3X? Unless you are saying Nikon has more then one flagship? :confused:

My guess is that the D3 and D3x are Nikon's "full size" flagship bodies with integrated vertical grips, while the D700 is more of a "smaller" flagship that gives the photographer the option of using or not using a battery grip. Since the D700 produces the same images as the D3, they can both be considered flagship models since there are not many huge differences among the two models.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: dnuggett

My guess is that the D3 and D3x are Nikon's "full size" flagship bodies with integrated vertical grips, while the D700 is more of a "smaller" flagship that gives the photographer the option of using or not using a battery grip. Since the D700 produces the same images as the D3, they can both be considered flagship models since there are not many huge differences among the two models.

Nah... not buying that one. A flagship camera is one camera, if you are calling it Nikon's flagship. Now if you want to caveat it and break down the market segments Nikon participates in and name the top camera in each segment, that's entirely different. But the D700 is not Nikon's flagship.

I can't really see Nikon's engineers or execs saying... look at our "smaller, battery grip optional" flagship. They don't do that... they point to the D3, now D3X.