Full-fat?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Never heard that term used before. Maybe it has to do with releasing the game with its full graphics content enabled? Not sure but on a side note. Four years and just one post...really? This lurker is mine guys I called it!

Reactions: amonkus

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
The only time I've ever seen the term "full fat" used around here, is when it's referring to whether a GPU die is the full monty, or whether it has been cut down to make other models. For example, the Titan Xp is a full fat die GPU because it uses the entire GP102 die. The GTX 1080 Ti on the other hand is a slightly diminished version of the GP102, and so is the original Titan XP. Same thing with GP104. The GTX 1080 is the full fat die, where as the GTX 1070 is the cut down version.

amonkus

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing about the lurking is I didn't even remember having an account until I tried to create one so I could start this thread. What most likely happened was I wanted to ask a question back in 2013, but ended up finding the answer myself and never logged in again after that.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It's not really a technical term, it's a general, context-dependent phrase or figure of speech (think dairy). It just means the maximum or full version of something (i.e. not the reduced fat or "skim" version).

In your first link it's just referring to the more powerful bench configuration with two 580s. In the second link, though, it's used in the same way as Carfax83 described, in reference to the GPU die not being a cut-down one. And lastly, the article about FFXV on the Switch, the author there is stating that the game will be "full-fat" because it won't be a mobile version, but the full game as it is on other consoles.

There's probably a higher usage of the term in regards to GPU dies than other areas of technology, though, probably because some dairy-farmer-turned-chip-designer borrowed the phraseology and it caught on. :p

Last edited: