Fuel Cells / hydrogen extraction from gasoline question

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
As I was driving around today in my car, flipping through the radio stations, I came across the Paul Harvey show. He announced that GM had deveolped an interim solution the the "Hydrogen Infrastructure" problem that mass production of fuel cell vehicles will encounter. Basically, GM has developed a Gasoline pump that, when needed, can extract Hydrogen fuel (surely via GM proprietary delivery/reception system) from gasoline.

A. has anyone else heard of this system?

B. Could pure Ethanol provide the same hydrogen as Gasoline?

I've also heard GM has a fuel cell vehicle that you actually put Gasoline in, it's converted to hydrogen and maybe oxygen, and then that is used for the fuel cell to provide elctricity to power the electric motors of the vehicle. seems funny

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: redly1
As I was driving around today in my car, flipping through the radio stations, I came across the Paul Harvey show. He announced that GM had deveolped an interim solution the the "Hydrogen Infrastructure" problem that mass production of fuel cell vehicles will encounter. Basically, GM has developed a Gasoline pump that, when needed, can extract Hydrogen fuel (surely via GM proprietary delivery/reception system) from gasoline.

A. has anyone else heard of this system?

B. Could pure Ethanol provide the same hydrogen as Gasoline?

I've also heard GM has a fuel cell vehicle that you actually put Gasoline in, it's converted to hydrogen and maybe oxygen, and then that is used for the fuel cell to provide elctricity to power the electric motors of the vehicle. seems funny

A. - No, I haven't heard of this system, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. It would be much easier to extract the hydrogen at the pump than to try to do it either in the car, or try to distribute hydrogen. There is still a problem with on-vehicle storage, though research is being done on carbon nanotubes and zeolites.

B. - Pure ethanol does not have the same hydrogen density as gasoline. Gasoline is more hydrogen-rich than ethanol or methanol, which means that a car has to carry less of it to obtain the same amount of energy, whether by combustion or by reforming. Also, a system for production and distribution of gasoline already exists. One does not exist for ethanol or methanol. Finally, much of the industrial grade ethanol and methanol is produced from synthesis gas, which is either produced from fossil fuels, or is directly taken from the ground. Ethanol and/or methanol aren't currently viable alternative fuels, though they could be in the future. You've got to understand that these "renewable" fuels still have a big price that no one talks about.

Finally, I worked on a design for a fuel cell vehicle for a senior project. It is a very interesting idea. Gasoline is "reformed" into hydrogen and carbon dioxide (not oxygen). Oxygen from the air and the hydrogen are used in the fuel cell to produce electricity. There are lots of control problems with this design, and many of the current fuel cell technologies are fairly fragile. This sort of power production would have to be used to recharge a bank of batteries since the response time of the system "lags". There is an issue of startup of the reforming system as the auto-reformer works at a temperature of around 750C (or F, can't remember). The only clear advantage is that the system is cleaner burning than a regular gasoline engine. It is debatable if the system is more efficient, though I think it can be engineered to beat a gasoline engine. However, if we are simply worried about CO2 admissions, this type of vehicle will not solve our problems. Ultimately these cars require fossil fuels, thereby introducing sequestered carbon into the carbon cycle, raising atmospheric CO2 levels.

The ideas for hydrogen powered cars will not solve the problem of rising CO2 levels in the atmosphere unless the hydrogen is produced without using fossil fuels. None the less, it is interesting technology.

Ryan

Igottaknife

Mar 30, 2003
A: yes I have heard of this system. It is a pretty good cost cutting strategy and allows the new hydrogen technology to be assimilated with the current gasoline system we are running. One thing that still bugs me is that I'm not to sure on the mechanics of the Hydrogen transfer. I'm skeptical on how they would "pump" Hydrogen into a car safely enough so that the average Joe could do it. (New Jersey residents need not worry since you don't pump your own gas anyways)

Geniere

Sep 3, 2002
Engines running on pure hydrogen will produce pollutants. Our atmosphere is a mixture of gases; nitrous oxide will be released just as it is burning gasoline. All electric vehicles with energy provided by nuclear or other non-combustion generated power, are the only means to eliminate vehicular pollutants. Of course, then the concern is nuclear waste and efficiency of conversion with other sources.

We're still left with the effects of rubber dust, plastic production, steel production and volatile asphalt compounds.

All this said, I think hydrogen technology, whether fuel cell or combustion engine, and nuclear fission power is best way to go for the next 50 years or so. Nuclear fusion power and all electric vehicles as advances allow.

Regards

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: BentValve
Most car makers have paid Ballard a healthy sum of money for research ..yes it is viable and it is reality, this is the future
of automobiles..
zero-emission fuel cell vehicles

How has Ballard proposed to solve the problem of hydrogen storage and delivery? I'm actually very curious. These new GM gas pumps are a great idea for delivery, but as far as on-vehicle storage goes, it seems pretty dangerous to drive around with compressed hydrogen on-board.

I don't believe that we will see methanol powered cars in the near future. Setting up a nation-wide production, distribution, and delivery system will be very expensive and will take a long time. Industry is reluctant to setup such a system without a demand for vehicles, and there will be no demand for vehicles unless the public can gas up their cars locally. There will be a local niche market in urban areas where a small scale production, distribution, and delivery system will be cheaper to setup, but it will take time for the system to spread nationally.

Ryan

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
So wait a sec, the purported advantages of Hydrogen from hydrocarbons are that the conversion is done at the factory, allowing for better efficency and less pollution around cities. GM is proposing a scheme where the conversion is done in the pumps, negating both points...

methinks the large oil companies are there to pull the wool over our eyes. This scheme would probably be even less "clean" than current gas guzzlers although I guess it would reduce NO2.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It seems likely that this would just be a stop-gap measure - some way for vehicle manufacturers to develop and promote a next-generation technology when the technology in the current market would be a total commercial flop.

Fuel cells at present aren't viable because of their immense cost, but without a fuel infrastructure to promote use, take-up will never become great enough for fuel cells to be commercially viable. The use of fuel reforming allows fuel cells to operate on conventional gasoline - albeit with the production of greenhouse pollutants inherent with the use of gasoline, and substantially decreased efficiency - current estimates suggest that such systems will probably not achieve the fuel effeciency of conventional gasoline powered engines mainly due to inefficiencies in the reformer and fuel-cells.

However, despite what appears to be a backward step, if it can make fuel-cells a mainstream technology then it could be a very important development.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Geniere
Engines running on pure hydrogen will produce pollutants. Our atmosphere is a mixture of gases; nitrous oxide will be released just as it is burning gasoline. All electric vehicles with energy provided by nuclear or other non-combustion generated power, are the only means to eliminate vehicular pollutants. Of course, then the concern is nuclear waste and efficiency of conversion with other sources.

We're still left with the effects of rubber dust, plastic production, steel production and volatile asphalt compounds.

All this said, I think hydrogen technology, whether fuel cell or combustion engine, and nuclear fission power is best way to go for the next 50 years or so. Nuclear fusion power and all electric vehicles as advances allow.

Regards

I am curious, how will nitrous oxide be released when burning hydrogen? Are the nitrogen molecules (I think they're molecules anyway, pairs of N atoms) in the air caught up in the combusition between the H and O?

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
...These new GM gas pumps are a great idea for delivery, but as far as on-vehicle storage goes, it seems pretty dangerous to drive around with compressed hydrogen on-board.
I thought I would address this since this seems to be a very common misconception. Hydrogen gas is quite safe to carry around on your automobile, it's actually considerably safer than gasoline and here is why (in a nutshell). Because Hydrogen gas is so light it immediatly rises and very rapidly, almost like releasing a bubble of gas at the bottom of a pond. Remember, hydrogen gas is 1/16 the atomic weight of Oxygen. Once more it will not combust until you have it diluted to less than 75% (I'm not 100% certain on the figure, but I should be pretty close) so it doesnt start combusting until it's already 20feet above you and rapidly traveling higher. Gasoline on the otherhand explodes outward, I'm sure we all know what happens when you set a gallon of gasonline on fire as it is quite dangerous.

Here is an article on Hydrogen Safety on our website (Warning, long article).
And since the Hindenburg always seems to come up in safety discussions here is an article about that.

If you have further questions about this I welcome your posting them on our Forum (the link is below), we have several "hydrogen enthusists" who visit our forums frequently answering questions as they crop up.

-Spy

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Geniere

Regards

I am curious, how will nitrous oxide be released when burning hydrogen? Are the nitrogen molecules (I think they're molecules anyway, pairs of N atoms) in the air caught up in the combusition between the H and O?
Burning Hydrogen in an Internal Combustion Engine (not a Fuel Cell) will produce trace amounts of Nitrous Oxide because Nitrogen and Oxygen have a tendancy of combining whenever they are in the presence of heat. Fortunetly you will have less Nitrous Oxide than a standard Gasoline Internal Combustion Engine because Hydrogen Gas burns quicker than Gasoline and there is less time for the Nitrogen and Oxygen to combine.

-Spy

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: spyordie007
Originally posted by: rgwalt
...These new GM gas pumps are a great idea for delivery, but as far as on-vehicle storage goes, it seems pretty dangerous to drive around with compressed hydrogen on-board.
I thought I would address this since this seems to be a very common misconception. Hydrogen gas is quite safe to carry around on your automobile, it's actually considerably safer than gasoline and here is why (in a nutshell). Because Hydrogen gas is so light it immediatly rises and very rapidly, almost like releasing a bubble of gas at the bottom of a pond. Remember, hydrogen gas is 1/16 the atomic weight of Oxygen. Once more it will not combust until you have it diluted to less than 75% (I'm not 100% certain on the figure, but I should be pretty close) so it doesnt start combusting until it's already 20feet above you and rapidly traveling higher. Gasoline on the otherhand explodes outward, I'm sure we all know what happens when you set a gallon of gasonline on fire as it is quite dangerous.

Here is an article on Hydrogen Safety on our website (Warning, long article).
And since the Hindenburg always seems to come up in safety discussions here is an article about that.

If you have further questions about this I welcome your posting them on our Forum (the link is below), we have several "hydrogen enthusists" who visit our forums frequently answering questions as they crop up.

-Spy

I'm not worried about combustion as much as I am explosion of the storage vessel, or even a simple leak. Compressed gas cylinders can turn into deadly missiles if the are toppled onto their sides and the regulators break off. I would be worried about a storage vessel becoming detached from the car body and flying down the street in the event of an accident. That being said, I think storage technologies such as using carbon nano-tubes have a lot of promise.

Thanks for the forum link. I may drop in.

Ryan

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Thanks for the forum link. I may drop in.
Please do.

I wouldnt worry to much about those high-pressure tanks, they have internal pressure release valves that have been used for years in things such as CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) tanks. You could take a hammer and knock off the valve of one of those tanks (which so happens to be the weakest point for obvious reasons) and they still depressurize at a reasonable rate with little cause for concern. We have a number of videos (mostly from the CNG industry) that demonstrate just how durable those tanks can be. They took CNG tanks and dropped cars on them, shot them with handguns and rifles, strapped dynamite to the sides of them, stuck them on top of a bonfire, all kinds of fun things. It kinds of makes me wonder why people worry about the safety of compressed hydrogen (or any compressed gas for that matter) but not about the big easily ruptureable gasoline-bomb they drive to work on every day...

Cheers!

-Spy

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
where I work, we develop hybrid electric systems for transit buses and heavy duty applications. I also had a little exposure to a fuel cell bus project they did about a year ago. They basically took a whole bunch of fuel cell stacks and series and paralleled them together to get enough current and voltage capacity (power) to run our series drive unit (fancy name for an 350HP electric motor). The project was sucessful, but it costed millions of dollars and the fuel cell reliability was terrible (measured in single digit miles, IIRC)

anyway, the whole hydrogen extraction from ethanol thing....I was born and raised in NW Iowa (i.e. Corn Country) and in the past few years, there have been numerous Ethanol processing plants constructed. Obviously ethanol isn't as efficient as good ole gasoline when it comes to combustion (todays standard engine) or reformation (part of the step to the "future" engine). I was just wondering how much worse it really is.

another point.... GM and Ford (and maybe others) already produce thousands of vehicles that can run on fuel with ethanol concentractions as high as 85%. I see Ford cars with FFV logos all the time, and I just read that all 03 GM trucks can run on 85%

yet another...the gasoline to hydrogen conversion pumps, IMO, would be a step towards a hydrogen infrastructure. Anyone remember EV1? anyone familiar with it? Lots of folks like the idea of electric cars. Problem is, there is no infrastructure for recharging batteries. "What about the electricity in our house??" Sure, but EV1 didn't just charge off of a 110V 15A outlet. It took a special proprietary inductive charger that cost thousands of dollars. Who wants to tak that on top of the premium you're paying over a gas powered 2 seater? GM learned from this. Appearently this pump is a way to make driving a fuel cell car a little less of a "change" from the routines of owning and driving a gasoline powered car