[fudzilla] hd 7950 bumped up.. ready for jan 31st!

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Funny, you say the AMD part is true, but the Nvidia part is false, and then link to a month old article.

How convenient. :awe:

Quantos

Dec 23, 2011
It really looks like no one has a real idea when Kepler is to be expected. It's expected Q1 2012, but that's a wide period of time.

Fudzilla seems to think it could be around that time. Does anyone have more information about an early February launch?

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
LOL, yeah.

You can't have it both ways dude.

that the last known date for kepler we've had that has been concrete enough to discuss without quoting far less believable rumor mills. fudzilla is known to always stay far away from fact unless its convenient.m and it seems very funny that they are also posting this when NOBODY ELSE IS (techpowerup, guruht, donanimhaber, vga.zol, CHH, inpai, expreview, hardocp, hexus, and etc.) (the end of jan. release date for kepler) the 7950 we knew is fated to a February release on shelves so a paper release for jan 31st is very believable. in fact id probably put some money on it. not alot, but some.
kepler gk100.. you have the same odds of being killed in a plane crash as you do picking its release date.. so can you dig that.. or do i need to tell you the difference between a fact based bet vs a wild guess that goes against our last known point of reference

ddarko

Jun 18, 2006
LOL, yeah.

You can't have it both ways dude.

Fudzilla itself seems to be of two minds when Kepler will launch. Slobodan Simic in the article linked above says it's coming out on January 31 but Fuad Abazovic says "[c]urrent estimates are that it will launch in first half of 2012, possibly sometime late in Q1":

http://www.fudzilla.com/component/k2/item/25503-jensen-on-kepler

Fuad's piece is dated an hour before Simic's on January 11. Who to believe? Fuad? Simic? Neither? Both? Who knows! I think the lesson here is ignore the rumor mill and just wait for the official announcement. Rumors are useless.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
There are a few tech sites that have new news sections. Toms Hardware is one for example that re-posts with credit, other current speculative enthusiast news.
Fud is like that, but like SA, or VR-zone he gets scoops, or first hand new information.
You have to learn to read between the lines. Charlie will kill bad information in the SA forums, rumors often, he hardly ever confirms, because that can break a NDA he might be under.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Please don't post anything from Fud or WCCF here. I go there when I want to read fantasy. :whiste: "I heard from a friend of a friend of my cousin" Whatever WCCF / Fud.

superjim

Jan 3, 2012
If NV manages to launch Kepler on January 31st I'll be floored. Kepler was taped-out in late September of 2011 and the last several launches from NV and AMD took a good year from being taped-out to launched.

"This process is expected to take quite a bit of time, and the most optimistic estimates place the retail availability of the first Kepler-based GPUs in the fourth quarter of 2011, although a more realistic launch date is Q1 2012." link

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
If NV manages to launch Kepler on January 31st I'll be floored. Kepler was taped-out in late September of 2011 and the last several launches from NV and AMD took a good year from being taped-out to launched.

"This process is expected to take quite a bit of time, and the most optimistic estimates place the retail availability of the first Kepler-based GPUs in the fourth quarter of 2011, although a more realistic launch date is Q1 2012." link

There hasn't been any sort of leak of a prototype (wooden or otherwise) yet either. I wouldn't expect to see anything until July at the earliest.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

I'm confused, you say the tape out was in Sept 2011, and then link to an article from the end of June claiming tape out had already happened by then.

superjim

Jan 3, 2012
I'm confused, you say the tape out was in Sept 2011, and then link to an article from the end of June claiming tape out had already happened by then.

Wrong link, try this one. Was reading various articles when I was posting. Different sources say tape-out was anywhere from June to September. Even assuming one year from June 2011, we're a ways off (unfortunately). I really do hope Kepler comes sooner rather than later.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
We basically KNOW the 7950 is real and will be launching soon, yet we (the community) don't have any glimpses of it, do we ?

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
You might be a fanboy if.....you hope Kepler isn't out on Jan 31. Let's all hope for a speedy launch by Nvidia for more competition. If Kepler taped out in Sep. that is more than enough time to launch soon if everything turned out okay. I wouldn't bet it would launch in 3 weeks but I hope it does. And good news if the 7950 is out as well.

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I hope they make the March timeframe at the very minimum, for Kepler launch that is. I also want NVIDIA to start a price war so a nice 28nm card can fall into my ~$200-250 budget window.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You might be a fanboy if.....you hope Kepler isn't out on Jan 31. Let's all hope for a speedy launch by Nvidia for more competition. If Kepler taped out in Sep. that is more than enough time to launch soon if everything turned out okay. I wouldn't bet it would launch in 3 weeks but I hope it does. And good news if the 7950 is out as well.

I would love for kepler to come out that soon but realistically, there's no chance. Fermi took more than a year after tapeout to get released and had numerous failed prototypes. Kepler is not in an official prototype status yet, so i'm guessing maybe summer for a mid range part, and performance parts close to Q3 12.

Nvidia's CEO not saying a word of Kepler at CES was confirmation enough that it will be a while....while they proclaimed Fermi to be "ready" at CES a year before the GTX 480 was actually released.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I would love for kepler to come out that soon but realistically, there's no chance. Fermi took more than a year after tapeout to get released and had numerous failed prototypes. Kepler is not in an official prototype status yet, so i'm guessing maybe summer for a mid range part, and performance parts close to Q3 12.

Nvidia's CEO not saying a word of Kepler at CES was confirmation enough that it will be a while....while they proclaimed Fermi to be "ready" at CES a year before the GTX 480 was actually released.

Not in my mind. It's a consumer oriented show. They have more exciting things to push towards consumers, that are ready or are coming like the new 7 inch Asus tablet with Tegra3 for 249.00. The tapeout, a term which is being over-used lately, of Fermi has nothing to do with Kepler. GF100 needed 3 revisions, in part, because of compromise in manufacturing. The GF104 didn't. So realistically , we don't know either way.
Also what is that about a official prototype ? Where are these announcements made ?
We knew almost nothing correct, until a couple weeks before Dec11 on the 7970.