{Fudz} Intel to cut 5,000 jobs

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Now thats interesting, its something our "cherished" intel financial speculators in the forum missed predicting, how come so? lets hear their opinions, thoughts?

meloz

Jul 8, 2008
I hope most of these cuts come from their marketing department. Stupid processor feature segmentation and bribes, er, ultrabook promotion schemes, that is all they can come up with. Intel's products are strong enough that they do not need these marketing parasites, just decent pricing. The products will sell themselves.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I hope most of these cuts come from their marketing department. Stupid processor feature segmentation and bribes, er, ultrabook promotion schemes, that is all they can come up with. Intel's products are strong enough that they do not need these marketing parasites, just decent pricing. The products will sell themselves.

I think it will mainly be manufactoring jobs. Remember D1XM1 and D1XM2 came online. So when 14nm chips starts to roll out. And sales volume is roughly stagnant. Then some workers at other facilities needs to go, plus maybe the entire facility. Its worth noticing that they talk about redeployment too. In other words, move location or get fired. Plus the usual productivity increases. I am sure D1XM1 and D1XM2 for example needs less workers per wafer than any other current Intel fab.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
Sucks that Intel, with such a market dominance on laptops, desktops, servers, HPC is having financial issues for them to cut 5K jobs.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Sucks that Intel, with such a market dominance on laptops, desktops, servers, HPC is having financial issues for them to cut 5K jobs.

So they should just have people sitting idle around rolling their thumbs? Not to mention idle in the wrong location as well.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
You know things arent okay when you see people justifying as many as 5k layoffs.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
5% layoff IS huge number, there is no point trying to lowball this.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I just read that there is a yearly natural decline of 4% of the employees, so maybe it won't be as much as it seems?

Edit:

"I'd like to clarify that we are not announcing a layoff. Business groups are developing plans to reduce spending and this will include some reduction in headcount. In addition, we are realigning and refocusing our resources to meet the needs of the business. When we talk about reduction of the workforce there are a number of things that can happen. It could include redeployments, voluntary programs, retirements, and through attrition. All are options so it would be wrong to conclude this is a layoff. Our usual rate of attrition is close to 4 percent worldwide."

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Not a good thing, but "slashing" your workforce seems a bit of a sensationalist headline. Every industry is trying to meet their demands with fewer employees. This is not to minimize the pain of those who lost their jobs, but that is how it is today.

It was not a great quarter for Intel, but not a disaster. Overall though, Intel definitely faces challenges as they try to move into lower margin ultramobile markets. I could even see more reductions in the future, since I am sure there is a lot of inefficiency in a company as large as Intel that has been awash in cash.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I just read that there is a yearly natural decline of 4% of the employees, so maybe it won't be as much as it seems?

Edit:

"I'd like to clarify that we are not announcing a layoff. Business groups are developing plans to reduce spending and this will include some reduction in headcount. In addition, we are realigning and refocusing our resources to meet the needs of the business. When we talk about reduction of the workforce there are a number of things that can happen. It could include redeployments, voluntary programs, retirements, and through attrition. All are options so it would be wrong to conclude this is a layoff. Our usual rate of attrition is close to 4 percent worldwide."

Wow, so there are no layoffs. Just a natural lowering of the workforce via the normal churn rate. But that doesnt sell clicks :/

Not a good thing, but "slashing" your workforce seems a bit of a sensationalist headline. Every industry is trying to meet their demands with fewer employees. This is not to minimize the pain of those who lost their jobs, but that is how it is today.

Yep. Productivity increase also means less hands needed. Unless volume goes up. Same reaon why 1% is farmers today instead 80% like in the past. And it seems there wont be any layoffs at all.

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I'd like to clarify that we are not announcing a layoff. Business groups are developing plans to reduce spending and this will include some reduction in headcount.

PR talk at it's finest
I'm not happy with this news as i support the PC industry but is so funny to see how roles reverse when the bad news is not about a certain small player...

Last edited:

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
PR talk at it's finest
I'm not happy with this news as i support the PC industry but is so funny to see how roles reverse when the bad news is not about a certain small player...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are two completely different scenarios. In one case, we have a company that's fighting for survival, and in the other case, we have a company that is surviving just fine, but is struggling to grow.

Aug 11, 2008
PR talk at it's finest

Well, so far posters have showed admirable restraint not mentioning that company, but if you want to go there.......

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
So they should just have people sitting idle around rolling their thumbs? Not to mention idle in the wrong location as well.

That isn't what he said. He just said it sucks that they had to cut jobs.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Wow, so there are no layoffs. Just a natural lowering of the workforce via the normal churn rate. But that doesnt sell clicks :/

Yep. Productivity increase also means less hands needed. Unless volume goes up. Same reaon why 1% is farmers today instead 80% like in the past. And it seems there wont be any layoffs at all.

Yeah, more a hiring freeze and reorganisation than layoffs, which makes a lot of sense if you look at Intel's markets and competitors now vs say 3~4 years ago.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Normal procedure would be to hire replacements to fulfil the roles which those people used to fill, not just letting the numbers drop. Thank god it's not full blown layoffs, but the fact that they're shrinking their workforce is bad news. But I'm sure they'll be fine.

EDIT: Of course, this could be a sign of the new CEO making his mark on the company. A new boss rolls in with big new ideas, and a clear idea of which areas are wasteful and could do with going on a diet.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I speculate many of their workers with six figure salaries are the prime targets, as eliminating cheaper labor isn't going to help them much in holding onto more money in the grand scheme of things....