FSB and Multiplier Questions for my new rig

momento

Jun 4, 2003
I am new at this overclocking stuff (trying to learn here), putting together my first computer now, however, there are some things that i don't quite get it, from what i have read:

FSB (front side bus) X Multiplier = cpu clock frequency

My questions are:

1.) why some people use higher value of FSB (and lower Multiplier) while some use higher value of Multiplier (and lower value of FSB)? Any factors to consider when tweaking these two parameters?

2.) If i have an AMD 2500 (retail HSF),2X256mb crucial pc 2700 DDR, and a motherboard (epox 8rda+) that support up to 333MHZ FSB, will it be correct to set the parameters as 11X166 ( as the ram is running at 166MHZ) ? So, how do i use the 333MHZ FSB capability of the mobo?

3.) What far can i overclock the above system without buying better HSF ?

4.) what do you mean by "burn in"??

Thanks for your time.

Daysleeper

May 14, 2003
1. If you got good memorysticks you can get to higher fsb:s and then you got more speed (10 x 200 is quicker than 12 x 166). Sometimes when the memorysticks are not good to get to high fsb (even 140fsb is too much for some memories jep it's possible i had spectekddr 266 and it went 139fsb with 4-2-2-2....i sold it...:D..) you can raise the multiplier so you can reach higher clockspeeds. i use my 2100+ 1733@2090 11x190 with default voltages

2. jep 166fsb if crusial can take it.....and it should because it's pc-2700...:D

3. well with aircooling i would say that vcore 1,90V is about the maximum....first raise the multiplier and run for example pifast 3.3 and if goes through ok then restart computer and raise multiplier 0,5....check the temperatures all the time!!....when you reach the point when there becomes an error while running pifast you can raise vcore a bit and test again....when you get your maximum clock frequency with maximum vcore you are able to put without crying..:D..you can drop the multiplier to default and start raising the fsb...some memorysticks like voltage very much (crusial is one of them..:D.)so you can make them run better by raising the memoryvoltage...also you can make your computer much faster by tightening the memorytimings....

4. well i think it means that you run some program witch uses your processor very hardly and by running that test for couple of hours (for example prime95) you can say your computer is stable.

well it's 2,5hours over midnight here in Finland so i should go to sleep now....ask more if you got something to ask....:D..

Dustswirl

May 30, 2002
First time i read a clear "how to" from anyone! and not complicated and direct! didn't leave anything to add there Daysleeper!!! :) Gr8!

Good luck momento :D this is as good as it gets!

:D:beer:

Daysleeper

May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Dustswirl
First time i read a clear "how to" from anyone! and not complicated and direct! didn't leave anything to add there Daysleeper!!! :) Gr8!

Good luck momento :D this is as good as it gets!

:D:beer:

Well thanks...:D...

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Originally posted by: momento
I am new at this overclocking stuff (trying to learn here), putting together my first computer now, however, there are some things that i don't quite get it, from what i have read:

FSB (front side bus) X Multiplier = cpu clock frequency

My questions are:

1.) why some people use higher value of FSB (and lower Multiplier) while some use higher value of Multiplier (and lower value of FSB)? Any factors to consider when tweaking these two parameters?

2.) If i have an AMD 2500 (retail HSF),2X256mb crucial pc 2700 DDR, and a motherboard (epox 8rda+) that support up to 333MHZ FSB, will it be correct to set the parameters as 11X166 ( as the ram is running at 166MHZ) ? So, how do i use the 333MHZ FSB capability of the mobo?

3.) What far can i overclock the above system without buying better HSF ?

4.) what do you mean by "burn in"??

Thanks for your time.

1. Higher FSB will yield better benchmark results, but not necessarily a higher yield on the CPU (meaning you can most likely overclock the CPU higher with the multiplier higher and lower FSB)
2. The mobo will most likely have a spd setting within it that will allow it to detect the speed of the RAM and the CPU, and adjust it's speeds accordingly so that you're running properly on bootup.
3. That really varies on the chip itself (when it was manufactured, for example).
4. Burn in is taking the CPU, running a program that uses the majority of the paths on the CPU, and setting those paths by running said program over and over, much like you break a car in (except with a car, you don't break in the engine by running it at high revs, but rather you limit your type of driving until it reaches a certain mileage, normally around 1200 miles or so).