Front panel audio jacks not muting speakers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twin_suns, Dec 27, 2012.

1. twin_suns

twin_suns Junior Member

Hi,

I’m having a problem with the front panel audio of my new Antec One case. While the headphone jack plays sound fine the problem is that it doesn't detect when headphones are

plugged in and does not mute the rear speakers. Jack Sensing is not working at all and Realtek HD Audio Manger marks both the headphone and mic jack as permanently plugged in.

I’ve tried re-installing the audio drivers many times and can verify that an HD Audio header is plugged into the mobo and not an AC’97.

Anyone else have any ideas what the problem could be? This is a very minor but rather annoying problem. Thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Front panel audio Forum Date
    Front panel audio board General Hardware Jul 29, 2008
    Could use some Sound Card upgrade recommendations, looking for front panel audio support? General Hardware Apr 28, 2008
    Front Panel Audio Connectors General Hardware Apr 22, 2007
    Audigy 2 and using the PC Case Front audio panel instead of the box... General Hardware Apr 22, 2007
    Connecting X-Fi to front panel audio connectors General Hardware Feb 23, 2007

3. Dahak

Dahak Diamond Member

the only thing that i can think of right off hand is make sure that in the bios the onboard audio is set to hd audio/azalia. if its set to AC97 i believe it will not do that(mute the speakers when headphones are in)

4. twin_suns

twin_suns Junior Member

I have an Asrock z77 extreme4 which I believe doesn't even support AC'97, the BIOS has two options, 'HD Audio' which can be set to auto, enabled or disabled and 'Front Panel Audio' which can be set to either auto or disabled.

Mind you my overclock settings did get reset when I changed cases so maybe something happened there.

5. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

My audio mini-jack port experience suggests that your front ports are not equipped with shunting clips.

6. twin_suns

twin_suns Junior Member

corkyg, that's one of the things I thought it might be (it being a budget case and all), but the wacky thing now is that I've plugged the front audio panel from my old Antec 300 case (which worked fine) and the problem is exactly the same.

I think it's safe to rule out the front panel itself and the cable. Weird...