next is Dell being the best I think
If something I missed add to the list and
rate them from worst to best.
Thanks

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I have to concur with redly1.

Building your own computer is so much better.

Gatsby

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
That is not the answer to some of these folk who don't like to frustrate them selve to put themselve one.
It is far far easier to buy one already made.
as far as bulding your own it a pain in the ball
You guy are inconsiderate. :(
Dude I used one and it isn't bad at all

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
buying premade computers sometime good
but look at emachine there you go who wants that?
so making your computer is good but also
look at dell and there you go a good computer
so who knows?

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I have a Packard Bell, and I have put this thing through hell, and it is still going. So I cannot totally complain. I even tried to delete IE when I first got it, and ended up deleting Windows Explorer. Now there is a way to crash a computer! ;)

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
Again how many folk know how to put themselve one
How many know how to diagnose and install software
only a few tinker like your self 1 out of 100 maybe?
Or even 1 out 1000
I met alot of people none of them haven't a clue
what motherboard, cpu, and memory is.
Heck even assembling one is beyond their grasp and it take alot
of guts I mean time consuming as well they don't have that time
like we do.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
OK, I see your point.

If you are going to take the easy route, I would say Dell and Gateway have always been pretty reliable units. Compaq makes a good Lawn ornament if you want to deface your neighborhood. I would rank e-machine below Compaq.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
It's easy to build a computer from scratch dude, they even have how-to guides in magazines.

If you're going the manufactured route, expect to shell out the big ducats for a system that can be upgraded. They integrate so much stuff in low and mid-range computers that it isn't funny.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
The Absolute Worst company is USAFlex. I don't know if they are still in business, but they built the sh!ttiest computers.

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
Reason why I am asking this is because
I'm not going to be assembling anyone a PC
It was just for pure personal experiences
Not much saving in cost with all the frustation and time I put
in to make one.
They seem to be more happier too if they bought a brand name.
Now if I built them one and have any problem then the blame is on me instead. :(
Just imagine having to take it apart piece by pieces, go back
to your small computer shop and asked to get something completely
different this more then frustrate me then it worth.
Plus my pay is 0.
This way I'm happy and so are they.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's not so much best or worst manufacturer.

More like how much you want to spend

Ever vendor product line has good and bad models

You can get a cheep celeron micro case integrated unit that sucks from just about any vendor. You can also pick up a decent Athlon from HP or Compaq.

Don't get it set in your mind that one manufacturer sucks because you looked at their absolute budget model at a store or relatives house

Worst: any sub $400 ISP rebate model with a swap out warranty (emachines/ HP KR serial series)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
OMG, GF is one of THEM (with respect to deleting stuff) :p i would have never guessed... :p

the first thing to go wrong with my PB was that i bought it. then i found out that the sound card and modem was the same card. then my HDD died, losing a paper i was working on (no biggee, but it was annoying).

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I'd give the worst manufacturer award to Packard Bell, but since they are now defunct, the recognition defaults to eMachines.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
From Worst to best as follows:
Not getting into enterprise class systems, as many of them are good.

Emachines
Compuke
Comp- USA
HP
Sony
IBM
Micron
Gateway
Dell
My own! :D

ANEO

May 19, 2000
talking from experience, i think building ur own is better, not only does it cost less, ur not getting stuck with unupgradable stuff. i don't mind integraded sound, but if anything else is integrated forget it. granted PB is the worst but in my mind compaq is a next to worst, the only good thing bout them is there cases, smart usb design but otherwise i don't like them.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Packard Bell is defunct? Uh oh, I wonder if my warranty is still good on this piece of ****! :Q

Oh, and Mday, shuddup! :p I have deleted more important files than you could ever guess. But I have not done it in over a year now, I have learned to leave things alone I do not understand. ;)

edited because I obviously cannot cannot type tonight. :D

Paco21

Apr 2, 2000
I think i read something last week where Nec is going to resurrect PB. WHat an idiotic idea.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Yea, leave GF alone, I understand how it is. I once deleted a partition that Drivespace made after compressing my drive and wiped my system out :eek:

But that was a long time ago, like when I was 11 :)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
That's how you learn, you mess things up and fix them... well that's how I learnt at least.

In my mind all manufacturers such as e-machines, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, HP, all of them - they all suck. Building your own system is VERY EASY and saves you ALOT OF MONEY and plus if you decide to upgrade down the road you'll have a much easier time doing so.

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
The thing I like about building my own is that I can get EXACTLY what I want. I don't have to settle for a model that has the bigger hard drive, but not the right graphics card. Also, I can put on what software I want and not have to spend the first two days with my "just-add-water" PC deleting programs and tweaking it to run properly. I have found that I can build a system cheaper, too. And Hyper, a few points in favor of a homemade system: a) it really doesn't take much time to build a system. b)even though the majority of people may not be able to personally build their own, the chances of them knowing someone who can do it for them are pretty high. c) you get what you want and ONLY what you want. It's worth it :)