From the its so crazy it has to be true - Cops/Cocaine/backpay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Cops’ firing for drugs reversed
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/03/cops_firing_for_drugs_reversed

"Some of them made excuses for their failed tests, including Bridgeforth, who told the commission he may have had false positive tests because he brushed white powder off the seat of his cruiser, which he “assumed was confectionery powder from doughnuts.” He also said he lived in a townhouse that shared a heating vent with neighbors who were crack smokers, records state.Bridgeman, meanwhile, told commissioners he believed his positive test was because he had a “habit of putting drugs ... from suspects in his pocket where he also kept cookies to eat.”
Guity, who once served on the drug unit, blamed his positive tests on lidocaine he was prescribed after surgery. The state unemployment board found the claim “credible” and awarded him benefits. Several of the others also have been granted unemployment pay, records show."

Must be nice to be a cop. They can beat you, do drugs, etc... and keep their job and get back pay if someone dares to fire them.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
For every bad apple there is 100s of good ones.

Don't forget that.

And for every bad one you find there are hundreds of other bad ones you don't see.

Don't forget that.

/cockroach theory

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
In a stunning, 134-page ruling, the Massachusetts Civil Service Commission this week ordered the six cops back on the job, finding that “the present state of hair testing for drugs of abuse ... does not meet the standard of reliability necessary to be routinely used” to fire someone.

LOL

I bet you it's still good enough to fire the average Joe from his job though, right? :rolleyes: Must be nice to be a cop and be above the law.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
LOL

I bet you it's still good enough to fire the average Joe from his job though, right? :rolleyes: Must be nice to be a cop and be above the law.

That and in a court of law.

" In the United States, hair testing has been accepted in court cases as forensic evidence following the Frye Rule, the Federal Rules of Evidence, and the Daubert Rule. As such, hair testing results are legally and scientifically recognized as admissible evidence. Most hair tests screen and confirm for the main drugs of abuse (Cocaine, Amphetamines, Methamphetamines,Opiates, PCP, and Marijuana)."

So good enough to put someone in jail but not good enough to decide if a person should be a cop. o_O

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
And for every bad one you find there are hundreds of other bad ones you don't see.

Don't forget that.

/cockroach theory

Get checked for paranoia. Or lay off the news buddy.

So good enough to put someone in jail but not good enough to decide if a person should be a cop. o_O

That's exactly right. Life is not fair, get used to it.

Or go try to be a hero and change that law (good luck on that).

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
That's exactly right. Life is not fair, get used to it.

Or go try to be a hero and change that law (good luck on that).

So, just to be clear... you're okay with these cops getting off scott-free for drug use just because they're cops?

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
For every bad apple there is 100s of good ones.

Don't forget that.

And for every 1 bad apple there are hundreds of the "good ones" who turn the other cheek.

Which to me, makes the "good ones" not so damn good.

If my friend commits a crime and I have knowledge of it. If I don't turn him in that could be my ass. Unfortunately cops aren't held to this standard, and they're even taught to ignore bad shit because of some code of blue or code of honor or whatever the fuck they call it.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Wow, you can even fail two tests and still hit the back pay lottery...

Must be nice...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
LOL

you can thank pressure for the union.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
So, just to be clear... you're okay with these cops getting off scott-free for drug use just because they're cops?

So, just to be clear...that didn't happen in this case so it isn't relevant.

-KeithP

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
That and in a court of law.

" In the United States, hair testing has been accepted in court cases as forensic evidence following the Frye Rule, the Federal Rules of Evidence, and the Daubert Rule. As such, hair testing results are legally and scientifically recognized as admissible evidence. Most hair tests screen and confirm for the main drugs of abuse (Cocaine, Amphetamines, Methamphetamines,Opiates, PCP, and Marijuana)."

I can see the Appeals Circuit preparing for the onslaught...

Status
Not open for further replies.