From the Are You Serious Files... 9 Year Old Kills Mother

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
who would have thought that a gun owner would have been injured/killed by their own weapon with a far greater chance than with any other weapon?

oh wait...anyone that's literate.

I can’t find anything in the articles about this tragedy that says the mother was the gun owner or where the boy got the gun. You’re making assumptions to fit your narrative.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
As a mental health professional I'd really like to hear how you think we can fix this kind of problem.

I feel pretty strongly that gun control would be far more effective and that the hope of addressing sociopathy in society rests in prevention.

The details on this incident are sparse at this point. If we assume that the adaptive mother legally owned the rifle how would gun control have prevented this incident? The mother knew this boy was mentally unstable and was trying to get help for him. If she had a rifle in the house she should have securely locked it up or given it to someone to hold. We need to keep guns out of the wrong hands and get help for those with mental illness.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Conservatives: "It's not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue."
Everyone: "Great, let's spend money to make sure everyone has access to mental health care."
Response#1 - Conservatives: "no, we can’t afford it. We have to build a wall”
Response#2 - Conservatives: “we need to outsource mental health facilities to private corporations. It will be cheaper and they can do it better”
Response#3 - Conservatives: “we need to shutdown mental health facilities and let them roam the streets and find their own help.”
Response#4 - Conservatives: “send the mentally ill to liberal and sanctuary cities”

FTFY