From Nvidia to ATI

imported_tornado

Oct 8, 2008
Hi,

Okay - I just purchased (it has not arrrived yet) a Visiontek ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256 MB AGP Video Card as the last touch for a socket 939 system running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ CPU. My question is this -The ATI 1950 card is the first ATI-based card that I will putting in my system. I was very happy with my Nvidia EVGA 6600 GT, and my current Nvidia EVGA 7600 GS. The time has come, however, that some of the games I would like to be able to play need a more aggressive GPU - And the X1950 Pro seems powerful enough (for now) So, I just need to know if I need to make any modifications to my current computer (speaking software modifications - I already ordered a better Power supply) to run the ATI-based video card? I don't want to worry about re-installing windows XP (Home SP2) or anything like that. Normally I would let my tech worry about it but PCCLub bit the dust and I am forced to look elsewhere.

thanks,

John

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Drivers really...

Directions:
Download Driver Sweeper
Install Driver Sweeper
Download Latest Drivers
Re-boot into Safe-Mode
Remove driver from Add/remove programs (if not listed use device manager)
Reboot if needed (into safe mode again)
Run Driver Sweeper with correct driver manufacture selected.
Reboot Normally
Install latest drivers

Better power supply?
What do you have now?
What did you buy?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
You upgraded to a 1950 pro on a dead socket which isn't wise.

1950pro is very weak for modern gaming standards.

You should use driver cleaner.

imported_tornado

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks for your help! My current power supply is an Antec 400 watt.
The new supply is a Corsair VX 550 watt supply. How did I do?

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Depends on which old Antec you had. You made a good choice though; one of several quality PSU's on the market.

imported_tornado

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks again - yeah, I do not know what model number the ANTEC is. It took me a while
to zero in on the Corsair 550. I got it for just over $60 at Buy.com.

thanks,

John

Nov 26, 2005
i mean if you are hardcore and want GREAT fps, than that isn't a good choice above 1280x1024 which you'll have to play modern games on low to get bearable fps, but if you are so so minded about fps and depending on your setup and game choice, it may be a decent choice depending on your price paid, so every answer has a draw-back which is so much similar to politics it isn't even funny, the reality of it is which of the lesser is the better choice

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I hope you didn't pay too much for the X1950 Pro. When you can get an HD3850 512MB, 9600GT, HD3870, HD 4670, and 9600GSO for under $100, the X1950 Pro is only worth about $60.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln
I hope you didn't pay too much for the X1950 Pro. When you can get an HD3850 512MB, 9600GT, HD3870, HD 4670, and 9600GSO for under $100, the X1950 Pro is only worth about $60.

He needed an AGP card, the highest performing card on the AGP side is a 3850 which sells for slightly above $100.

imported_tornado

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks again Quick! Yeah, I was aware of the 3850, however, I don't know what happened. The purchase of the 1950 has been completed so there is no point in sending it back. There is a 15% re-stock fee. The only concern I have now is that I am changing from a Nvidia based system to ATI. I know you gave the instructions. Thanks. I have heard, however, on sysdoc's site, that a Windows re-install is recommended and I REALLY do not want to do that - for multiple reasons. Would you say the switch from Nvidia to ATI is very risky in that way?

- One note for those who think AGP is a waste of time: Yes, I hear you! I was very close
to purchasing a whole new system when I had sudden, serious, dental issues that disagreed with my computing needs. So I figured, I could spend $200 for a video card upgrade to open up my game playing ability a bit instead of $1500 for a complete system.
The $1300 saved would go to my dentist. And I realize modern games are extremely graphics-demanding. I never said I wanted to play the most current games -just wanted
to "open up" some of my gaming options for a while.

John

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Azn
You upgraded to a 1950 pro on a dead socket which isn't wise.

1950pro is very weak for modern gaming standards.

You should use driver cleaner.

Guess what? Core 2 Duo is dead. PCIe 1.x is long dead. No point in replacing an acceptable AGP system with EOL hardware only to be faced with same all too soon. Enjoy the easy upgrade and look at replacement when it makes sense (next year).

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Auric
Guess what? Core 2 Duo is dead. PCIe 1.x is long dead. No point in replacing an acceptable AGP system with EOL hardware only to be faced with same all too soon. Enjoy the easy upgrade and look at replacement when it makes sense (next year).

Erm...no. That's quite an overstatement there. C2D is far from dead, Nehalem won't have enough of a performance advantage to totally obsolete it immediately (as C2D did to P4).

And a new gaming rig wouldn't cost $1500. Around $500 is more likely, if you scout out the right gear & deals in the hot deals forum. These days you can get mobo+e8400 for $250, 4GB RAM for $30-50, good powersupply for $40-60 and a great video card for $150. Reuse your case/hdd/optical drives and you're done. Or go even cheaper with e5200 or e7300 (probably about $400 with an e5200).

Anyway, the Corsair 550 should be plenty strong enough for your new x1950 pro. Which is an ok card, as long as you didn't spend too much. How much? If too high (>$100), it would worth it to eat the 15% and exchange for a 3850 instead, which will last much longer in terms of usability for gaming.

And no, you won't have to reinstall windows. Just follow the driver cleaner instructions above and you're good to go. Hell, I usualy don't even do that, just uninstall the card from the device manager, power down, install the new card, boot up and install the new drivers.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the forums!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln

um, I (and several others here) recently bought a 9600 gso for $36 AR. evga, too! :)

imported_tornado

Oct 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Denithor
Originally posted by: Auric

And a new gaming rig wouldn't cost $1500. Around $500 is more likely, if you scout out the right gear & deals in the hot deals forum. These days you can get mobo+e8400 for $250, 4GB RAM for $30-50, good powersupply for $40-60 and a great video card for $150. Reuse your case/hdd/optical drives and you're done. Or go even cheaper with e5200 or e7300 (probably about $400 with an e5200).

I wish it was that simple :) My case is getting really old, my hard drive is getting full,
and 2 optical drives are not functioning very well. Combine that with the fact that I do not
do most of my building anymore, and have to pay someone else to do it. Suddenly
$500 turns into considerably more. Also, I would need a new monitor as mine is VERY old.
That would be at least another $200.

Anyway, the Corsair 550 should be plenty strong enough for your new x1950 pro. Which is an ok card, as long as you didn't spend too much. How much? If too high (>$100), it would worth it to eat the 15% and exchange for a 3850 instead, which will last much longer in terms of usability for gaming.

I spent $140 for the x1950pro at Buy.com. They did not have the 3850 AGP in stock
but referred me to a website that had it. The price is about idential for the 3850 AGP
as I paid for the x1950. The only 3850 that I found that was under/close to $100 was the pci-express version. You do have me curious, though. The specs are impressive on the 3850 but there is one concern. I heard that the 3850 might not be compatible with the nforce3 chipset? That is what my Gigabyte mainboard has!

And no, you won't have to reinstall windows. Just follow the driver cleaner instructions above and you're good to go. Hell, I usualy don't even do that, just uninstall the card from the device manager, power down, install the new card, boot up and install the new drivers.

Okay, got it! Oh, by the way - I heard that quite a few people had problems with the Corsair 550 because it has tons of extra connectors. I have a mid-tower case (for the life of me I do not know the brand) I got a long time ago and concerned that excesss wiring
will prohibit air-flow - and I need good airflow. Should I get an exhaust fan?

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

John