From China with Love [G80, R600 and G81 info]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
When I built my E6600 C2D rig in August, I skimped on the vid card, full well knowing I'd sell it immediately for the G80 (I thought it's be out in October, oh well.)

Well, I just sold my 7900GT for a decent price and have $800 saved up for computer goodies. I just got a Corsair 620W PSU and a Sammy 204B and my E6600's running @ 3.6GHz cool n quiet n solid.

I'm gonna get the G80 now and G81 when it comes out. It's amazing, if you can time it right, how much $ you make when selling soon to be outdated hardware.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Crusader is nothing but a spreader of NVDA FUD. Take his posts with a grain of salt.

well theres hardly any fear in his post

uncertainty yes

and a reasonable amount of doubt, though what he's posted he hasnt made up and has leeched it from some chinese dudes.

yes he has said this is ATi's last attempt, but its obviously not AMD's last attempt or first for that matter

AMD own ATI now, and i hope they are going to continue the high end gpu's....but obviously they wont be called ati

same game different name.

and your fighting fire with fire here GT, adding your own FUD about people having to worry about NV being the little guys in the middle.
FACT: nvidia IS the little guy now

and it looks like AMD and Intel will unite to destroy them when nvidia attempts their CPU .. . . which they are making which they must make. ;)

well yeah they are the little guy

but whos to say that means theyre in trouble? some of the smallest companies in the world come up with the best idea's and products.

you can look at it in two ways. being small means you are at the mercy of bigger opponents with more money, better machines, more people.

but being in that position leads you on to having to think outside the box, come up with something innovative that the big coporation guys wont think of, and you often find smaller companies being more focused on tasks at hand.

yes nvidia are the little guys now, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

i definately wouldnt be going round telling people to start worrying becuase nvidias going down.

you didn't read my link did you? :p

they are going into CPU business!!! . . . they HAVE to or they get left out.

Do you really think AMD and intel are just gonna give them the patents?
:Q

. . . and allow the most aggressive company in computer HW to COMPETE with them. i doubt they are that stupid.

Nvidia at work on combined CPU with graphic - On 65nm in 2008

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
(and propping it up by stealing money from their other, more profitable business areas)
You say "stealing" like they're doing something illegal. Using your profitable businesses to prop up unprofitable (but higher profile) products is as old as business itself. It's all about brand recognition.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
Patents can be worked around. It's only a problem if you want it to be.

a winner!

very likely nvidia will ignore patents to created their CPU

and they will be sued outta existance when they try to launch it

aren't you the one that decried ATi's stealing of IP . . . well nvidia is gonna be accused of a lot of stealing . . .

it'll be sad to see lawyers destroy nvidia. :p

Jun 14, 2003
Crusader is nothing but a spreader of NVDA FUD. Take his posts with a grain of salt.

uncertainty yes

and a reasonable amount of doubt, though what he's posted he hasnt made up and has leeched it from some chinese dudes.

yes he has said this is ATi's last attempt, but its obviously not AMD's last attempt or first for that matter

AMD own ATI now, and i hope they are going to continue the high end gpu's....but obviously they wont be called ati

and your fighting fire with fire here GT, adding your own FUD about people having to worry about NV being the little guys in the middle.

and it looks like AMD and Intel will unite to destroy them when nvidia attempts their CPU .. . . which they are making which they must make. ;)

but whos to say that means theyre in trouble? some of the smallest companies in the world come up with the best idea's and products.

you can look at it in two ways. being small means you are at the mercy of bigger opponents with more money, better machines, more people.

but being in that position leads you on to having to think outside the box, come up with something innovative that the big coporation guys wont think of, and you often find smaller companies being more focused on tasks at hand.

i definately wouldnt be going round telling people to start worrying becuase nvidias going down.

. . . and allow the most aggressive company in computer HW to COMPETE with them. i doubt they are that stupid.

sorry i didnt see it earlier

but you seem to of not really read my post

all i was saying was that yes they are the little guys now, but no its not a cause for concern just yet. the future may hold another ending, but im just saying that people dont need to worry about nvidia going west for the time being.

but yeah they have to now branch out and try new stuff or they will just fizzle away, i hope it spurs them into producing some really innovative stuff

Jun 14, 2003

a winner!

aren't you the one that decried ATi's stealing of IP . . . well nvidia is gonna be accused of a lot of stealing . . .

now your doing it!

do you have a crystal ball or something?

i can follow your logic becuase there really arent that many unique products around, everythings been copied or stolen or tweaked from someone elses page thats just how it works, but please dont quote possible future happenings as fact

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999

a winner!

No... there is always more than one solution to a problem. Patents can be worked around without doing anything illegal.

AMD proved that when they lost the right to simply "photocopy' intels chips and had to design their own... And intel/amd aren't the only companies holding the rights to use he x86 ISA either...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

uncertainty yes

sorry i didnt see it earlier

but you seem to of not really read my post

all i was saying was that yes they are the little guys now, but no its not a cause for concern just yet. the future may hold another ending, but im just saying that people dont need to worry about nvidia going west for the time being.

but yeah they have to now branch out and try new stuff or they will just fizzle away, i hope it spurs them into producing some really innovative stuff

actually i DID read your post ... i just replied to part of it. ;)

no the 'short term' is pretty secure for nvidia . . . especially if they have a winner with g80

i wish them well

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

FACT: NVIDIA is the ONLY guy now.

ATI is gone, nothing more than a brand name and soon nothing more than a label printed on an intergrated chipset from AMD.

The R600 will be the last high end card from ATI.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Wreckage

ATI is gone, nothing more than a brand name and soon nothing more than a label printed on an intergrated chipset from AMD.

if you mean nvidia is the "only major single player" in high end gfx you are correct

your statement needs some 'qualification' . . . afaik, matrox is still in business and AMD is making and will continue to make high end video cards under the ATi logo.

and yes, r600 is the last card from ATi - as ATi . . . AMD would be foolish to rely solely on nvidia for high end gfx so it is certain that they will stay in the high end GPU business.

OtOH, it is not certain that nvidia will be allowed to create a CPU . . . nor is their future as an independent company secure.

dreddfunk

Jun 30, 2005
wreckage - setting aside for the moment that nVidia isn't the only guy now, nor will they be the only guy for the coming several months (as the x1950xtx is phased out for R600), even if the mid-near term sees AMD/ATI cede the high-end GPU market to nVidia, historically nVidia will not be the only player for very long. If there are profits to be made, companies will come. Technologically speaking, the companies that are in the best position to battle nVidia in the high-end GPU markets will be Intel & AMD/ATI. That doesn't mean that they will do it, yet whether or not they choose to do it is immaterial: someone will do it if that market continues to exist at all.

I don't see AMD/ATI abandoning the high-end, discrete GPU market to nVidia in the near-mid term (but that's my opinion). I do see AMD/ATI betting on the discontinuance of a specific aspect of that market (the 'discrete' aspect) in the coming years, and are positioning themselves accordingly. I even see nVidia hedging their bets (by showing interest in CPU development) in this area.

Paradigm shifts occur in the technology industry all of the time. It remains to be seen when (or if) a shift to completely integrated graphics (on-board or on-die) will occur at the highest end.

It's just my own opinion that it: a) will happen, and, b) will happen over the next 10 years, tops.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
if you mean nvidia is the "only major single player" in high end gfx you are correct
As always

your statement needs some 'qualification' . . . afaik, matrox is still in business and AMD is making and will continue to make high end video cards under the ATi logo.
Matrox LOL!. That's reaching.
and yes, r600 is the last card from ATi - as ATi . . . AMD would be foolish to rely solely on nvidia for high end gfx so it is certain that they will stay in the high end GPU business.
Yes, I'm sure that ATI engineers only work part time on developing video cards, so that should leave lots of time to work on projects for AMD. :roll: AMD does not giving a flying fig about the high end video card market. NVIDIA is AMD's best friend not it's competitor. AMD bought ATI to fight against Intel.
OtOH, it is not certain that nvidia will be allowed to create a CPU . . . nor is their future as an independent company secure.
Is this dream world you live in also filled with smilies?

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why in the world would AMD buy ATI and then have them stop making video cards? Thats just stupid even to rumor out.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dreddfunk
wreckage - setting aside for the moment that nVidia isn't the only guy now, nor will they be the only guy for the coming several months (as the x1950xtx is phased out for R600), even if the mid-near term sees AMD/ATI cede the high-end GPU market to nVidia, historically nVidia will not be the only player for very long. If there are profits to be made, companies will come. Technologically speaking, the companies that are in the best position to battle nVidia in the high-end GPU markets will be Intel & AMD/ATI. That doesn't mean that they will do it, yet whether or not they choose to do it is immaterial: someone will do it if that market continues to exist at all.

I don't see AMD/ATI abandoning the high-end, discrete GPU market to nVidia in the near-mid term (but that's my opinion). I do see AMD/ATI betting on the discontinuance of a specific aspect of that market (the 'discrete' aspect) in the coming years, and are positioning themselves accordingly. I even see nVidia hedging their bets (by showing interest in CPU development) in this area.

Paradigm shifts occur in the technology industry all of the time. It remains to be seen when (or if) a shift to completely integrated graphics (on-board or on-die) will occur at the highest end.

It's just my own opinion that it: a) will happen, and, b) will happen over the next 10 years, tops.

That's the whole problem. There are not ENOUGH profits in the high end market to support 2 companies. Intel knows this, that is why they have never bothered to enter that market. Just like the sound card market. Most computers pump out stereo sound and 2D video and that won't change much because most computers are used for the internet and work.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Objection, Your Honor. Conjecture on part of the prosecutor. Move to strike.

Sustained. Comment to be striken from the records and the prosecutor is reminded to stick to the facts.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Creig

Sustained. Comment to be striken from the records and the prosecutor is reminded to stick to the facts.
LOL, that was smooth. :D

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Your Honor, there is plenty of evidence to back up my statements.

Hmm... I am going to allow this. Prosecutor carry on with your case.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
As always
no, that's why it needed qualification . . . your original statement was wrong

Matrox LOL!. That's reaching. [/quote] SiS is stil in business also . . . you said nvidia was the ONLY player ...wrong again
Yes, I'm sure that ATI engineers only work part time on developing video cards, so that should leave lots of time to work on projects for AMD. :roll: AMD does not giving a flying fig about the high end video card market. NVIDIA is AMD's best friend not it's competitor. AMD bought ATI to fight against Intel.
what a load of BS ... like you 'know' what AMD is thinking ... AMD has said - over-and-over - that they now have a STAKE in high-end gfx with ATi . . . their stated goal
Is this dream world you live in also filled with smilies?
[/quote]

your world is filled with FUD and dreams of nvidia ...
you said -nvidia is AMD's friend?

ridiculous

and not anymore . . . look at AMD to blast away at nvidia as soon as nvidia attempts to compete with them . . .and intel will probably pick up the pieces of what's left.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sounds pretty impressive if true.

Nvidia will develop and x86 chip because it is better to be prepared than be caught with their pants down if Intel and AMD cut them off.

I question whether it is wise for AMD to do such a thing as Nvidia has a pretty decent track record with regards to their chipsets while AMD hasnt produced one since the first Athlon run and ATI is more or less a joke.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Wow. We must have lots of AMD, nVidia, ATI, and Intel employees here. It seems that EVERYONE know exactly what these companies are planning to do in the near and long terms!

There can be no other explanation for statements like this:

Yes, I'm sure that ATI engineers only work part time on developing video cards, so that should leave lots of time to work on projects for AMD. AMD does not giving a flying fig about the high end video card market.

I am sick and tired of this videocard fanboism causing people to talk completely out of their asses.

Do you people forget: MONOPOLIES ARE BAD. If nVidia ends up as the only king of the discreet high-end GPU hill, then goodbye competition and hello 24-month refreshes and $1000 videocards. We all lose.

Devoluti0n

Oct 16, 2006
Wow. We must have lots of AMD, nVidia, ATI, and Intel employees here. It seems that EVERYONE know exactly what these companies are planning to do in the near and long terms!

There can be no other explanation for statements like this:

Yes, I'm sure that ATI engineers only work part time on developing video cards, so that should leave lots of time to work on projects for AMD. AMD does not giving a flying fig about the high end video card market.

I am sick and tired of this videocard fanboism causing people to talk completely out of their asses.

Do you people forget: MONOPOLIES ARE BAD. If nVidia ends up as the only king of the discreet high-end GPU hill, then goodbye competition and hello 24-month refreshes and $1000 videocards. We all lose.

Thank you for sanity. I've personally owned cards from both ATI and Nvidia in the past and they've both served me well. I admit there are strengths and weaknesses to BOTH brands, but this is why competition is so important. Where one company shines, it shows the other company it needs to improve in that area. I would certainly love to ditch my aging 6800GT but I want to see how both companies products turn out, then I'll jump aboard for the refreshes around summer time.

Personally I don't understand fanboyism, as both companies have turned out crap products at one time or another that fell short of everyones expectations. Both companies have also produced some real gems that were truly great products. But please, wait til we see direct testing comparisons before wild speculation and mud slinging becomes the standard practice.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006

Your Honor, there is plenty of evidence to back up my statements.

Hmm... I am going to allow this. Prosecutor carry on with your case.
*The jury sits and waits patiently to hear this evidence, as the defendant (Mr. Wreckage) seems to stop talking at this point.* :confused:

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'll get a DX10 card when I see a handful of games using DX10 that I want to actually play.

In the meantime, I much rather play Gears of War on the 360 :)