From 1366 socket to AM4

Nov 26, 2005
Is it necessary to re-install Windows these days?

I'm half way through a platform build and I'll be jumping from 1366 socket to AM4

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've already been down this road with another build so If you are going to use the same windows account/install key then you need to start the new build on the existing windows install. Uninstall all chipset and gpu specific software and drivers before you exchange the hardware.

Once you swap the hardware reboot and windows will not allow you to activate online so you will have to call in. While they are on the phone they will access your pc remotely and activate windows for you. Once its been activated on your new hardware you can clean install anytime afterwards.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I presume that you've already upgraded to 10 from 7. Once its upgraded to 10 and you change the hardware and reactivate it should be good as you can swap the mb under the uela and clean install it. I've done this on several pc's and it worked without a hitch, unless of course the MS activation server is having issues.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I think the problem arises where there is an oem windows at the 7 level. That is tied to the board and will require a new licence when you run a new board.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Disclaimer; I'm in the EU so terms may be different in the US.

I've already been down this road with another build so If you are going to use the same windows account/install key then you need to start the new build on the existing windows install. Uninstall all chipset and gpu specific software and drivers before you exchange the hardware.

Unless you have some difficult-to-reinstall/customise software, and/or custom setup, I'd treat this as a good place as any for a reinstall. Sometimes a clean break can be a good thing.

You just need to have the Windows key handy. Which leads to:

Once you swap the hardware reboot and windows will not allow you to activate online so you will have to call in. While they are on the phone they will access your pc remotely and activate windows for you. Once its been activated on your new hardware you can clean install anytime afterwards.

Consumer Windows gets activated with a mainboard specific certificate (can be tied to your MS account). Worst that can happen with a brand new system is having to call activation. They're usually quite large about activating when you have a legit key.