friend's E5200 and IP35-E - further degradation

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm at my friend's house, and decided to help him do some Windows Updates. The updates went fine, but when it asked me to reboot, it did, but then it didn't boot up properly again. It started beeping at me. Strange.

So I hit RESET, didn't do much, hit POWER, then it rebooted. Booted up fine. Only the overclock (3.625Ghz) had reset itself. So I finished doing the windows updates, then I rebooted, went into the BIOS, and saved, and the overclock was fine again.

But looking at CPU-Z (because the BIOS reported the RAM running at DDR2-500, for some strange reason), it showed that "Slot #4" was empty. Strange again. I know I put four 1GB DDR2-667 memory sticks in when I built the thing. I rebooted and checked the BIOS, yep, only 3GB detected.

So it sounds like I either burned out a RAM stick, or the mobo slot. They had a power outage this morning, perhaps that might have killed it.

So I decide to re-qualify the overclock, and wouldn't you know, after about 15 minutes, Prime95 failed on one core.

So I cranked it back down from 290FSB to 280FSB (3.625 down to 3.5 Ghz), and I lowed the BIOS vcore from 1.4275 to 1.4075. (vcore is only adjustable in .02 increments).

I have a sad feeling, that when my friend decided that he didn't want to do SoB for me any more, that the higher vcore has been degrading his CPU. The limit is supposed to be 1.4, and the BIOS setting of 1.4275 was under 1.4 actual according to CPU-Z, while the CPU was under 100% load.

But now that his CPU is mostly idle, the higher idle voltage applies.

I have another E5200 that I could throw in. Is there any way to tell whether it's the CPU or motherboard degrading, without swapping CPUs? The PWM temps on the mobo are fine. So are the CPU temps.

The PSU was replaced, when we installed the GTX460 MSI Twin Frozr II, it's an Antec Neo Eco 620W I believe. You don't think that the Antec PSU is to blame, do you?

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
eh i know you want to avoid the work, but you really should check the cpu. i had ip35pro burn out my q6600. the ip35e/ip35pro with e5200 is still doing fine for me right now.... then again i never had my chips at 1.4v. i'd def check the cpu.