Friends cat got runover, I had to shoot it with a .22 :(

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: MrLee
How about taking it to the vet?

vets want there money up front and you are talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...I mean serious dollars!!

Yes I understand, much too expensive to take the cat to the animal hospital. Lets Cheney his ass instead. I think they should do that with all people that might not make it. "call the ambulance? Hell no, he just got hit by a car, they'll take an arm and a leg!... honey get my 9."

Be reasonable. For one thing a human |= a pet no matter how much we think of our pets.

I think the OP and his friend made a judgment call which they thought was the right thing to do. From what I've read they did do the right thing.

Aug 23, 2000
I had to put down a cat that got run over when I was 12 or 13. It was still alive when we found it in the street but it's guts had squirted out both ends. I got a shovel and smashed it's head in.

I'm hungry. Arby' sounds good.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I had to put down a cat that got run over when I was 12 or 13. It was still alive when we found it in the street but it's guts had squirted out both ends. I got a shovel and smashed it's head in..

Yep - I ran across that same situation just a few weeks ago. All I had around was a shovel with a big heavy head. I made sure I gave it the hardest hit I possibly could to save me from having to take multiple swings. One shot and lights out, but it was the grossest sound I've ever heard. Barf. I can't imagine having to put down a larger animal.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Wow that's sad. You know what is really weird though is a cat by my house got runned over and I took it to the side and just let it rest and petted it for a minute. The cat eventually got up and walked away.

PEOPLE TAKE YOUR PETS TO THE VET FIRST.

Hope you at least knew where to shoot the animal as well as how to do it in a non-tramatic way.

fucking idiots.

OMG. i knew a lamer like you would come out of the woodwork.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Can someone tell me what an outdoor cat is and why they are unable to stay (or be kept) indoors like every other pet ? I've heard stories where annoyed neighbors keep antifreeze out to kill cats... these things can be prevented...

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: rh71
Can someone tell me what an outdoor cat is and why they are unable to stay (or be kept) indoors like every other pet ? I've heard stories where annoyed neighbors keep antifreeze out to kill cats... these things can be prevented...

My cat stays outside year round, for killing rodents, mice, packrats, etc. She is pretty damn good at her job too. The dogs get to stay inside though.

She always wants to be let inside in the wintertime when the snow builds up, but she gets used to being stuckl out there.

I have lost a few to coyotes, and one to an eagle (I got to see that one - AWESOME), but I just go adopt another one, and make sure it has food and water on the porch.

I do get upset when the kill pheasants though, that is my job.:|

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71

People think cats need to be outdoors. A toddler and dog wants to roam the streets too, but most people have the common sense to keep them indoors.

What's laughable is people with 1-2 acres thinking they have plenty of room for a cat. That is hardly any property at all when you have cars running up and down the street.

Outdoor cats tend to have lifespans in the mid single digit range. They die due to other animals, a lot of times people like adairusmc who think shooting any cat = the rules they have on feral cats in some places, as well as by vehicle. Much of the time it's due to the cat sleeping in the engine bay or next to/in the wheel.

In even most rural places now, outdoor cats which are pets really have no place.

The victim is the cat that knows no better than your neighbor's vegetable garden is tasty and when they have to void their yard is easy to bury it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
It's not, the OP never said it was. Actually, YOU initially used it to infer that the animal must have been okay.
No I did not. I said the average person could not have determined BASED on what the OP has stated that the animal was ready to be put down. Purring doesn't mean anything as well...

You say it as if the neighbor, who is a friend, didn't ask for his help.

No, I have said it as the law looks at it. You clearly do not understand the issue. Having someone else kill your pet, even with consent that is not legally sanctioned to falls under another higher level of crime usually.

Perfectly humane if done right. It's not hard to figure it out. You decide which is more traumatic for an animal: having the suffering end in one instant, or being handled (not usually comfortable if your body has been smashed) and taken to a place most cats would regard with fear, possibly having to wait until the next day of business, only to have the same decision made except this time being given an intentional overdose of drugs.

The law as well as animal medical experts begs to differ on that view. There usually should never be any reason anyone would need to wait overnight for treatment except in very rural areas.

And yet, because it's "against the law", shooting a pet somehow has a different end result than shooting a feral animal? Not to mention the added benefit of shooting the pet from point blank so as not to miss and mame the animal.

If you don't understand the difference in a feral cat and a house cat and the reasoning behind the laws, there is nothing to explain. Shooting something point blank esp with a .22 doesn't mean much.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Is it? There are many many cases of temporary paralysis from auto accidents. The point is many times those same toddlers turned out ok when the parents thought they were dead.

Actually, the only consensus here (with everyone but you) is that an obviously suffering and dying animal should be put out of its misery. For all your "experience" and education in animal sciences, you're the only one here who apparently has no regard for the animal itself.

Mass opinion esp when most are commenting based on emotion and not knowing any facts really makes that easy. #1 fact is he broke the law....that's really the main issue. #2 fact is most without a science background think they understand things they do not.

If the animal was truly needing to be put to sleep a vet should have handled that properly and humanely. It doesn't cost a fortune like people ASSUME.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I had to put down a cat that got run over when I was 12 or 13. It was still alive when we found it in the street but it's guts had squirted out both ends. I got a shovel and smashed it's head in.

I'm hungry. Arby' sounds good.

Well according to MrLee -- Yes I understand, much too expensive to take the cat to the animal hospital. Lets Cheney his ass instead. I think they should do that with all people that might not make it. "call the ambulance? Hell no, he just got hit by a car, they'll take an arm and a leg!... honey get my 9."

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
wow, well I had expected a troll here or there, but I didn't think alkeymyst would take over and ruin my whole thread, thanks a lot asshole, I hope you feel better for being the dumbest prick I know now.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

No I did not. I said the average person could not have determined BASED on what the OP has stated that the animal was ready to be put down. Purring doesn't mean anything as well...
No, I have said it as the law looks at it. You clearly do not understand the issue. Having someone else kill your pet, even with consent that is not legally sanctioned to falls under another higher level of crime usually.
The law as well as animal medical experts begs to differ on that view. There usually should never be any reason anyone would need to wait overnight for treatment except in very rural areas.
If you don't understand the difference in a feral cat and a house cat and the reasoning behind the laws, there is nothing to explain. Shooting something point blank esp with a .22 doesn't mean much.
Is it? There are many many cases of temporary paralysis from auto accidents. The point is many times those same toddlers turned out ok when the parents thought they were dead.
Mass opinion esp when most are commenting based on emotion and not knowing any facts really makes that easy. #1 fact is he broke the law....that's really the main issue. #2 fact is most without a science background think they understand things they do not.

If the animal was truly needing to be put to sleep a vet should have handled that properly and humanely. It doesn't cost a fortune like people ASSUME.

What you said was this:
If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.
It really could be interpreted either way. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

From what I could find, the NJ law you posted earlier are just regulations applicable to "Sanitary Operations of Kennels, Pet Shops, Shelters and Pounds". I'm sure there is some law somewhere in NJ relating to animal cruelty, but I'm not so sure the passage you posted applies to regular Joe. The only thing I could find was here. Basically, it would be open for the court's interpretation as to whether or not the OP was justified in putting the animal down.

Lots of laws, especially animal cruelty laws, are designed to stop sickos from killing animals without reason, and to prevent them from enacting any morbid curiosities they might have. You don't always need a science background to know your animal is going to die....some injuries are obvious, and it sounded to me like the OP and family had done enough to determine that. It seems the crux of the argument here is whether or not someone without a vet degree can be qualified to sanction mercy killing an animal. That may just be something we're not going to agree on. I have no ethical objections to what the OP did.

It's not a always a lot of money to euthanize, but if my cat had smashed by a car, the prolonging of suffering in order to scientifically determine the obvious would be unfair to the animal.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
wow, well I had expected a troll here or there, but I didn't think alkeymyst would take over and ruin my whole thread, thanks a lot asshole, I hope you feel better for being the dumbest prick I know now.

I am sorry that I just have a problem with people breaking the freaking law as well as making medical decisions they have no place making.

Shooting a pet to kill it is not considered a humane practice in almost any place in the US.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: TheGizmo

I am sorry that I just have a problem with people breaking the freaking law as well as making medical decisions they have no place making.

Shooting a pet to kill it is not considered a humane practice in almost any place in the US.

You wouldn't want to post an example of a person being convicted of such anywhere in the US would you?

Anyways the only reason it isn't is so vets can make mint doing the same thing.

mlm

Feb 19, 2006
A couple of years ago on the first day back at school, I was trying to drive out of my neighborhood, but there's a one-lane bridge you have to cross to get out. I was the first car in line waiting for the other side when I saw a cat on the side of the road gearing up its hind legs to bolt across the street. I knew what was gonna happen, but I was powerless to stop it from getting run over by an SUV coming off the bridge :(

It was knocked into a ditch on the side of the road, and it kept rolling around in pain :( I couldn't be late to school though, so I called the bf to keep an eye out for it when he left the house. He didn't see anything on his way out though, so we assumed it got better and ran off.

When I came home that night, I saw it lying in the same ditch :( :( :(

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

You wouldn't want to post an example of a person being convicted of such anywhere in the US would you?

WTH are you talking about? Vets had nothing to do with the laws directly. It's more ASPCA.

I don't have an example of someone convicted of a lot of things handy that are laws.

I don't know what a 'mint' is to you, but euthanasia at a veternarian should be under $100. If you are already a client usually half that.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

WTH are you talking about? Vets had nothing to do with the laws directly. It's more ASPCA.

I don't have an example of someone convicted of a lot of things handy that are laws.

I don't know what a 'mint' is to you, but euthanasia at a veternarian should be under $100. If you are already a client usually half that.

Lets do the math. under $100 or $.02 x 2 for 2 .22 bullets. I think I'll go with the cheaper. Go ahead and lock me up, there must be a thousand+ people on death row for putting their animals out of misery.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I am sorry that I just have a problem with people breaking the freaking law
Actually, you've not shown any proof of that, as Goober pointed out. Seems to me that you've got an agenda.

And yet no one on here seems to have a problem with it except you. Obviously we're all wrong. Right. :roll:

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Of course you don't have an example because no judge or jury would ever convict such a BS charge. Hell I bet you can't even find a case where the prosecutor was stupid enough to try it.

Yeah the vet makes 100$ for what ten minutes of work. It sure would suck to only make 600 dollars an hour. Just a little more then minimum wage there.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
hey man you did an admirable thing there. My family has tons of animals and I know how hard it is when one gets hurt. It usually is best to put it out of its misery though. (Man i'm crying writing this post). It is also really hard to do something like that when you know the animal. :(
rose.gif