Friends cat got runover, I had to shoot it with a .22 :(

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
My uncle had to put down the family dog years ago after she was hit by a car. Always a sad thing. Glad you were able to do what you thought was best.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
OP, that's a hard thing to do. I did it untold times growing up on a farm. The neighbors had too many cats, and they'd get hit right in front of my house.
You know it's right, but still, it haunts you a while.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Okay, Mr. Zoology major, tell us again how it's not necessarily going to be expensive at the vets office, but that the veterinarian is going to be able to make a qualified decision as to the prognosis? Do veterinarians have x-ray vision? No? Then, there's the cost of x-rays involved at the very least. Of course, if it was at a sensible vet's office, and the owner just took it there to be put down, the vet would say, "chances are, you're right. There's no sense in going through the added expense of verifying with x-rays or other tests what you and I already know is the problem."

Several years ago, I had a cat with a tumor on its thoracic duct. This resulted in an accumulation of fluids that would have be be drained nearly daily. i.e. stick a long needle into the cat, withdraw the fluids, and the cat would be able to walk again okay, for a while. NOT a comfortable procedure for the cat. The cat would be suffering daily, but at least we could keep it alive, and if necessary, keep it medicated so it didn't suffer too much. Vets opinion: it's nice to see people make the right choice. Too many owners leave their pets lingering in discomfort or pain for months or even years, when the pets should have simply been put down.

It's actually a part of our culture. One of the reasons the US has a higher lifespan than many other countries is that we keep our grandparents on death's door much longer, prolonging their passing as long as we possibly can while exhausting every last hope that they can be cured. I've seen too many cases where relatives refuse to let go and insist on doctors prolonging lives as much as possible. So, Alkemyst, I don't blame you for your opinion, it's a part of our culture to want to see things stay alive as long as possible - we fear death. And, that's an unfortunate part of our culture, because we don't respect the dignity of people in their final days, or the dignity of our pets in their final days. We think we can play God, or at least you think we should. But, in the end, we very often just end up causing more unnecessary suffering.

So, go ahead and use your rationale: people might not be able to shoot straight with their gun. They may not know where to aim for. The bullet might ricochet. They may have misdiagnosed their pet's condition. Or, the simplest reason against quickly euthanizing a pet without taking it to the vet: it's against the law. But, the vast majority of the time, your course of action simply means more suffering for the animals.

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: alkemyst
If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.
Link
"Sick cats and purring - Saying that cats purr when they are content is usually right on the money. The problem is that when cats are sick they still often purr. When it comes to being sick never trust your cat's purr. Cats can and do purr at all levels of sickness, injury, sometimes even as they are dying.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say Alkemyst isn't doing too well in Zoology.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
:(
rose.gif

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Jesus christ what kind of douchebag totally craps on a thread about a regretful but rightful decision with such pompous self-righteousness? Do you go to funerals and rant and the grieving families, too, asshat?

If you have a point to make, start another thread, but for the love of god have some fucking grace and tact, jackass.

OP: Like any other rational person, I agree you did the right thing, and you deserve many kudos. It sucks, but good on you for shouldering the burden.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
That sucks. I had a sweet old black cat that we let usually outside for some time during the day. She was very friendly and would run up to anyone on our property to be pet by them. The garbage man came up our driveway in his little mini garbage car to take the trash back to the big truck down the street. She came out to see him but he didn't notice, and ran over her when he backed out. He felt sooo terrible. The poor girl died later that night since there was nothing anyone could do for her.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: MrLee
How about taking it to the vet?

vets want there money up front and you are talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...I mean serious dollars!!

Yes I understand, much too expensive to take the cat to the animal hospital. Lets Cheney his ass instead. I think they should do that with all people that might not make it. "call the ambulance? Hell no, he just got hit by a car, they'll take an arm and a leg!... honey get my 9."

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: sundevb
If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.
Link
"Sick cats and purring - Saying that cats purr when they are content is usually right on the money. The problem is that when cats are sick they still often purr. When it comes to being sick never trust your cat's purr. Cats can and do purr at all levels of sickness, injury, sometimes even as they are dying.

You are right, but how is that a determination for anything.

What the OP did was against the law. Adding to the fact that it was not his pet, but a neighbor's further extends that crime.

Euthanasia with a firearm is usually not a very humane way to do it as well and banned in most places.

People misunderstand that killing feral cats is not the same as those that are pets. Also livestock laws are not the same as those that apply to pets.

It's not about crapping on a thread, but when people are thinking that's the right thing to do...it's very wrong.

Next time someone in the neighborhoods toddler knocks themself out and is profusely bleeding 'he surely can't make it'.

Along with those that more than likely are not speaking from experience....owning a pet requires the owner to seek medical attention for that animal no matter what the costs *MAY* be. The 'cool' thing here seems to be one should not spend any money on a pet.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
How about taking it to the vet?

vets want there money up front and you are talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...I mean serious dollars!!

Yes I understand, much too expensive to take the cat to the animal hospital. Lets Cheney his ass instead. I think they should do that with all people that might not make it. "call the ambulance? Hell no, he just got hit by a car, they'll take an arm and a leg!... honey get my 9."

So you would have taken the cat to the vet and paid the bills for whatever it took to heal this cat no matter the cost!!!

Interesting....

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Did you pet her once before pulling the trigger?

That sucks, though. I've had to do that once. :(

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Figures alkemyst has to ruin the thread with his typical stupid bullshit. How about a nice warm cup of shut the fuck up?

Sorry for your loss OP.
rose.gif

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Mday
someone should make proximity sensors for collars and cars... this would prevent a lot of pets and kids from getting hurt ; ;

I actually like that idea very much.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

[/quote]

Along with those that more than likely are not speaking from experience....owning a pet requires the owner to seek medical attention for that animal no matter what the costs *MAY* be. [/quote]

This is YOUR requirement for YOUR pets.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: sundevb
Link

You are right, but how is that a determination for anything.
It's not, the OP never said it was. Actually, YOU initially used it to infer that the animal must have been okay.
What the OP did was against the law. Adding to the fact that it was not his pet, but a neighbor's further extends that crime.
You say it as if the neighbor, who is a friend, didn't ask for his help.

Euthanasia with a firearm is usually not a very humane way to do it as well and banned in most places.
Perfectly humane if done right. It's not hard to figure it out. You decide which is more traumatic for an animal: having the suffering end in one instant, or being handled (not usually comfortable if your body has been smashed) and taken to a place most cats would regard with fear, possibly having to wait until the next day of business, only to have the same decision made except this time being given an intentional overdose of drugs.

People misunderstand that killing feral cats is not the same as those that are pets. Also livestock laws are not the same as those that apply to pets.
And yet, because it's "against the law", shooting a pet somehow has a different end result than shooting a feral animal? Not to mention the added benefit of shooting the pet from point blank so as not to miss and mame the animal.

It's not about crapping on a thread, but when people are thinking that's the right thing to do...it's very wrong.

Next time someone in the neighborhoods toddler knocks themself out and is profusely bleeding 'he surely can't make it'.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Along with those that more than likely are not speaking from experience....owning a pet requires the owner to seek medical attention for that animal no matter what the costs *MAY* be.

The 'cool' thing here seems to be one should not spend any money on a pet.
Actually, the only consensus here (with everyone but you) is that an obviously suffering and dying animal should be put out of its misery. For all your "experience" and education in animal sciences, you're the only one here who apparently has no regard for the animal itself.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Originally posted by: xboxist
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Wow that's sad. You know what is really weird though is a cat by my house got runned over and I took it to the side and just let it rest and petted it for a minute. The cat eventually got up and walked away.

PEOPLE TAKE YOUR PETS TO THE VET FIRST.

Hope you at least knew where to shoot the animal as well as how to do it in a non-tramatic way.

fucking idiots.

Douchebag. I don't care what you think you know. Don't bust into a sad thread about someone who remorsefully ended the life of a loved pet, and call them a fucking idiot.

:thumbsup:

I had to shoot one of my purebred labs like that. My sister was over visiting, and my 6 month old lab was lying under her car getting out of the heat. She backed right over him not knowing it.

9mm did the job, and was a hell of a lot cheaper than taking him to a vet who would have charged me to do basically the same thing.

If that pisses off alkemyst, then I feel even better about doing it.

The one time we had to put a pet down, the vet charged us 45 dollars for euthanasia and disposal, then the vet sent us a condolences card and then made a $40 to the vet school in memory of the cat.