Friends cat got runover, I had to shoot it with a .22 :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
good job.

sad part is idiots like alkemyst are around. Sadly sometimes you have to do something like that. why prolong the suffering? why rack up hundreds or thousands worht of vet bills when the animal is doomed anyway?

exactly :thumbsup:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Dp you carry oxicotin with you at all time? Adn where do you get it if you don't mind me asking?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Too bad that no one who actually matters gives a shit. I guess you will just have to get over it.

Guess talking about criminal activity is ok and we know you love getting off on any gun stories you badass marine you.

The problem you have is you obviously post out of emotion only. I am stating the facts...if I don't get pissed off at every idiot out there...it would be constant. I simply stated the reasons what he did was wrong.

Obviously I have struck a nerve with you.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Too bad that no one who actually matters gives a shit. I guess you will just have to get over it.

Guess talking about criminal activity is ok and we know you love getting off on any gun stories you badass marine you.

The problem you have is you obviously post out of emotion only. I am stating the facts...if I don't get pissed off at every idiot out there...it would be constant. I simply stated the reasons what he did was wrong.

You have not struck a nerve with me, it is just that you are too much of a douchebag to realize that what he did was right - not wrong as you claim.

Besides, I love gun stores involving cats - especially feral cats. I try to shoot every healthy one I can find. Maybe one will show itself on the property tonight, I will load up the .410 just for you. ;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
good job.

sad part is idiots like alkemyst are around. Sadly sometimes you have to do something like that. why prolong the suffering? why rack up hundreds or thousands worht of vet bills when the animal is doomed anyway?

waggy, where would it have been hundreds or thousands of dollars? How do you know it would have suffered.

The guy was not qualified at all to determine the 'doom' of an animal.

Fact is what he did was a crime everyone here unfortunately is thinking emotionally with bleeding hearts.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Besides, I love gun stores involving cats - especially feral cats. I try to shoot every healthy one I can find. Maybe one will show itself on the property tonight, I will load up the .410 just for you. ;)

that should be a ban. How is that going to affect me anyway?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: MrLee
How about taking it to the vet?

vets want there money up front and you are talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...I mean serious dollars!!

not really, if the vet could determine it needed euthanasia it would not have cost much.

However; part of pet ownership is covering costs of treatment for disease. It's a crime in most places as well to avoid treatment of a pet due to it costing money.

I am really thinking most are just jumping on a bandwagon here and exaggerating their own stories.

adairusmc always has some story where he had to discharge a gun. Now he seems to revel in it should it upset others. Great guy there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

crimiinal act? only criminal act i see is wanting a dieing cat to suffer.

its idiots like you that imposed idiotic laws that make it a crime. only good thing is a law like that would NEVER pass around here. if on the off chance it did (well they did ban fois gras) NONE of the cops would enforce it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Wow that's sad. You know what is really weird though is a cat by my house got runned over and I took it to the side and just let it rest and petted it for a minute. The cat eventually got up and walked away.

PEOPLE TAKE YOUR PETS TO THE VET FIRST.

Hope you at least knew where to shoot the animal as well as how to do it in a non-tramatic way.

fucking idiots.

relax man, you were not there, you don't know how bad it was/how it looked. Whether we took her to the vet or not, she was in a place where she had to be put down. If any of us thought that she would have had a happy life after recovering from this, then putting her down would NOT have been an option.

And I shot her twice, first in the head and second in the chest.

You stated yourself you did not take the animal anywhere.

Most untrained people see as major medical tramas that the trained would see as mild. There is no way you were qualified to determine that that animal was with any permanent paralysis.

Either way it's a crime there.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
good job.

waggy, where would it have been hundreds or thousands of dollars? How do you know it would have suffered.

Fact is what he did was a crime everyone here unfortunately is thinking emotionally with bleeding hearts.

Its a fucking cat. Get over it.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
alkemyst, you are going on as if we are talking about a human being.
It was a fucking cat, get over it.

I think the OP was perfectly justified in his action and probably alleviated a lot of unnesesary suffering people like YOU would have inflicted on this cat.

STFU and DIAW.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good job.

actually its not hard to say if animal is going to day (if it actually is).

and if it is in as bad of shape that it was going to day. vet bills are going to be expensive (in laws raised cats/dogs used my barn doing it. so yeah i know how much vet bills can get (not to mention the few farm animals i had)).

yeah i am thinking emotionally. i don't want a cat that is going to die to suffer. i have no trouble shooting it in the head. and think the guy did the right thing.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
good job.

You're the one bleeding here being all offended about a dead cat.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006

Why should it be a ban? It is not illegal here - nor will it ever be. If it makes you feel better, I will invite the sheriff over to help, I am sure he would be glad to.

It is not going to affect you at all, but I will think of you if I see one tonight. You should feel special.

You just need to realize that it is just a cat that got shot in the OP's story, and as TallBill said, STFU and get over it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

crimiinal act? only criminal act i see is wanting a dieing cat to suffer.

its idiots like you that imposed idiotic laws that make it a crime. only good thing is a law like that would NEVER pass around here. if on the off chance it did (well they did ban fois gras) NONE of the cops would enforce it.

Well tell it to those that make the laws. They would also probably know it's spelled dying and take it to a veternarian to make that determination.

Oregon's law:
609.405. Methods for destruction of dogs and cats

(1) No city or county or any facility with which the city or county has contracted to perform animal control functions and no humane society shall cause a dog or cat to be destroyed except by lethal injection of sodium pentobarbital or other substance approved by the Oregon State Veterinary Medical Examining Board.

(2) If a particular dog or cat to be destroyed poses an imminent threat to human or animal life, making use of lethal injection of sodium pentobarbital inappropriate, a reasonable and appropriate alternative may be used. The alternative method may be subject to review by the Oregon State Veterinary Medical Examining Board.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Why should it be a ban? It is not illegal here - nor will it ever be. If it makes you feel better, I will invite the sheriff over to help, I am sure he would be glad to.

It is not going to affect you at all, but I will think of you if I see one tonight. You should feel special.

You just need to realize that it is just a cat that got shot in the OP's story, and as TallBill said, STFU and get over it.

hah I had the local sheriff over having a beer (he owns a farm north of me). well a cat walked out of my garge and i threw a empty beer bottle at it.

He told me to get a .22 and just shoot them. though he did give me a dirty look when i asked if i could shoot the naighbor kids that go in the backyard when my kids arent home heh

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Doesn't mean the sheriff in your 'naighborhood' is right. If the cat was a feral cat there are different laws that apply as well.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Shoot...I don't know if I could do it either if it was my cat...good thing for friends and guns...

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Doesn't mean the sheriff in your 'naighborhood' is right. If the cat was a feral cat there are different laws that apply as well.

Laws mean nothing when the sheriff actually has enough sense to not enforce them.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
They commited a crime. Zoology is my major as well, plus I have worked with a vet during my training. I think I am a little more qualified to comment than someone just brandishing a .22. Cats esp have been known to spring back after their owners have even thought them dead.

Euthanasia aside, shooting of a pet is outlawed as a method except in extreme suffering or where there is threat to other's life in many if not most places now. There is too many variables in that method that can lead to not only a bad kill, but very easy to collateral damage.
And getting crushed by a car to the point of paralysis is not extreme suffering? What qualifies then? Getting skinned alive and then burned? Or should he still call up the vet, assuming they're still in the office, and arrange an appointment to bring the cat in, possibly the next day? We can't break a law that was quite probably written 1) to prevent killing of animals by truly abusive, hateful individuals, 2) to protect stupid people from themselves, 3) by a few politicians to appease a vocal few constituents in the hope of getting reelected, or 4) to ensure that veterinarians would use proper methods and not get sloppy.

The law quoted also says nothing of cases where the animal is in "extreme suffering." I can't see any rational judge ruling that the OP should have kept the cat alive and suffering long enough to take it to a vet.

If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.
Link
"By the way, a cat's purring does not always denote happiness. A cat will purr when in extreme pain, or frightened or stressed. Have you ever heard your cat purring to beat the band on the table at the veterinarian's office? It's like they're saying, 'Don't hurt me. I'll be good.'"

Link
"Sick cats and purring - Saying that cats purr when they are content is usually right on the money. The problem is that when cats are sick they still often purr. When it comes to being sick never trust your cat's purr. Cats can and do purr at all levels of sickness, injury, sometimes even as they are dying. If your cat looks or acts ill then even if it is purring, the cat is sick and needs to be seen by a veterinarian. Some researchers have suggested that an injured or sick cat purrs to calm itself down, while others have suggested that it is a submissive behaviour communicating to other cats or predators that they are not a threat."

You might as well say that people only cry when they're sad.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
My neighbors cat wanders to our property a lot... sometimes in our front bushes which isn't a big deal but I've found it under my car in the driveway a few times. Now I don't particularly care for cats simply because I don't think they're very personable. I mean, outdoor cats ?! Why have a pet at all if it disappears for hours/days, etc. ? Oh yes, my point... CONTROL YOUR PETS please.

I guess I don't have to say this but will anyway - I feel less remorse for a cat than a dog - I never really thought about why but I guess I just worked it out by saying the above. Regardless - the poor cat was just minding its own business... :(

EDIT>> Can someone tell me what an outdoor cat is and why they are unable to stay (or be kept) indoors like every other pet ? I've heard stories where annoyed neighbors keep antifreeze out to kill cats... these things can be prevented...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

Laws mean nothing when the sheriff actually has enough sense to not enforce them.
Paris Hilton ?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Originally posted by: crt1530
Originally posted by: KIRBYEE
Pics or ban!
/
||
||
Ban.

Not to give this guy any more attention, but I agree. 2 week vacation minimum, please.

You're an admirable human being, OP. My condolences to her owner.

i agree with everything you just said Lt.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: sjwaste
There's something more honorable about putting the cat down like that. You relieved the pain, gave it a good last few moments, and put it down in the environment it knew. Imagine taking that poor thing to the vet and hearing the cat needs to be put down. The cat knows its not in its place and is probably freaking out in the sterility of it all.

Can't all be happy endings, you did the right thing.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
They commited a crime. Zoology is my major as well, plus I have worked with a vet during my training. I think I am a little more qualified to comment than someone just brandishing a .22. Cats esp have been known to spring back after their owners have even thought them dead.

Euthanasia aside, shooting of a pet is outlawed as a method except in extreme suffering or where there is threat to other's life in many if not most places now. There is too many variables in that method that can lead to not only a bad kill, but very easy to collateral damage.
And getting crushed by a car to the point of paralysis is not extreme suffering? What qualifies then? Getting skinned alive and then burned? Or should he still call up the vet, assuming they're still in the office, and arrange an appointment to bring the cat in, possibly the next day? We can't break a law that was quite probably written 1) to prevent killing of animals by truly abusive, hateful individuals, 2) to protect stupid people from themselves, 3) by a few politicians to appease a vocal few constituents in the hope of getting reelected, or 4) to ensure that veterinarians would use proper methods and not get sloppy.

The law quoted also says nothing of cases where the animal is in "extreme suffering." I can't see any rational judge ruling that the OP should have kept the cat alive and suffering long enough to take it to a vet.

If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.
Link
"By the way, a cat's purring does not always denote happiness. A cat will purr when in extreme pain, or frightened or stressed. Have you ever heard your cat purring to beat the band on the table at the veterinarian's office? It's like they're saying, 'Don't hurt me. I'll be good.'"

Link
"Sick cats and purring - Saying that cats purr when they are content is usually right on the money. The problem is that when cats are sick they still often purr. When it comes to being sick never trust your cat's purr. Cats can and do purr at all levels of sickness, injury, sometimes even as they are dying. If your cat looks or acts ill then even if it is purring, the cat is sick and needs to be seen by a veterinarian. Some researchers have suggested that an injured or sick cat purrs to calm itself down, while others have suggested that it is a submissive behaviour communicating to other cats or predators that they are not a threat."

You might as well say that people only cry when they're sad.

pwned.