Friends cat got runover, I had to shoot it with a .22 :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Yea, at first we were going to take it to the vet, but very quickly we realized that she was not going to make it. Once we knew for sure she was paralyzed we gave her a very low dosage opiate pain killer (a small chunk of an oxycontin).. said our goodbyes and I took her to the backyard to do the dirtywork.

I'm not much worried about a lawsuit, I mean who is going to know? Thats really terrible that they would consider this a felony in some states, I actually never knew that. (wouldn't have changed our decision to put her down though)

The cat was an indoor cat, but she roamed around outside all the time. They have a large property with about 2 acres around their home. Cat was just walking around the driveway, like many other times in the past. Just an unlucky accident this time, when his father pulled in the driveway and didn't see her.

She did purr a few times, I really believe she knew that it was the end. Its still in the back of my head bugging me, but what can you do. I still think I did the right thing though.

Just sucks losing her, she was in the family for years, was my one of my closest friends so I was over at their home often, and was quite acquainted with her, and I am upset she is gone, my friend and his family are really sad.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Wow that's sad. You know what is really weird though is a cat by my house got runned over and I took it to the side and just let it rest and petted it for a minute. The cat eventually got up and walked away.

PEOPLE TAKE YOUR PETS TO THE VET FIRST.

Hope you at least knew where to shoot the animal as well as how to do it in a non-tramatic way.

fucking idiots.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza

(and on a related note: )
:thumbsdown: to the people in my state who made doing exactly what you did a felony.
In other words, be aware of who you tell. Don't want to find out the local police officer is also a PETA member.

The average person can't take care of themselves, yet alone animals. This is why they made shooting pets a crime. In many cases what a person thinks is terminal is not.

Also just because one owns a kill does not make them anatomy experts in knowing how to properly put down an animal. Just knowing where to shoot is half of it.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Wow that's sad. You know what is really weird though is a cat by my house got runned over and I took it to the side and just let it rest and petted it for a minute. The cat eventually got up and walked away.

Hope you at least knew where to shoot the animal as well as how to do it in a non-tramatic way.

fucking idiots.

relax man, you were not there, you don't know how bad it was/how it looked. Whether we took her to the vet or not, she was in a place where she had to be put down. If any of us thought that she would have had a happy life after recovering from this, then putting her down would NOT have been an option.

And I shot her twice, first in the head and second in the chest.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
.22 firearms won't kill anything... :evil:

I kid... I kid...

sorry for the loss...

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Damn, that is something I could never do. :(

thats what I thought too, but if you're stuck there you gotta do what you gotta do

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002

fucking idiots.

Douchebag. I don't care what you think you know. Don't bust into a sad thread about someone who remorsefully ended the life of a loved pet, and call them a fucking idiot.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
What sort of gun did you use? Did you shoot it from afar or right up to the head?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
someone should make proximity sensors for collars and cars... this would prevent a lot of pets and kids from getting hurt ; ;

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo

fucking idiots.

relax man, you were not there, you don't know how bad it was/how it looked. Whether we took her to the vet or not, she was in a place where she had to be put down. If any of us thought that she would have had a happy life after recovering from this, then putting her down would NOT have been an option.

And I shot her twice, first in the head and second in the chest.

don't mind the village idiot.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: xboxist

fucking idiots.

Douchebag. I don't care what you think you know. Don't bust into a sad thread about someone who remorsefully ended the life of a loved pet, and call them a fucking idiot.

:thumbsup:

I had to shoot one of my purebred labs like that. My sister was over visiting, and my 6 month old lab was lying under her car getting out of the heat. She backed right over him not knowing it.

9mm did the job, and was a hell of a lot cheaper than taking him to a vet who would have charged me to do basically the same thing.

If that pisses off alkemyst, then I feel even better about doing it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
There's something more honorable about putting the cat down like that. You relieved the pain, gave it a good last few moments, and put it down in the environment it knew. Imagine taking that poor thing to the vet and hearing the cat needs to be put down. The cat knows its not in its place and is probably freaking out in the sterility of it all.

Can't all be happy endings, you did the right thing.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: MrLee
How about taking it to the vet?

vets want there money up front and you are talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...I mean serious dollars!!

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Sorry for the loss. It sucks having to kill things. Even when fishing I find it hard to kill the fish I catch (but no so hard to eat it).

You did do the right thing. Hopefully you gave it enough drugs to just about kill it anyways.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
rose.gif

Poor cat. :(
It sucks too that you can't really apologize to it, and make it understand what's happened.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yea, at first we were going to take it to the vet, but very quickly we realized that she was not going to make it. Once we knew for sure she was paralyzed we gave her a very low dosage opiate pain killer (a small chunk of an oxycontin).. said our goodbyes and I took her to the backyard to do the dirtywork.

I'm not much worried about a lawsuit, I mean who is going to know? Thats really terrible that they would consider this a felony in some states, I actually never knew that. (wouldn't have changed our decision to put her down though)

The cat was an indoor cat, but she roamed around outside all the time. They have a large property with about 2 acres around their home. Cat was just walking around the driveway, like many other times in the past. Just an unlucky accident this time, when his father pulled in the driveway and didn't see her.

She did purr a few times, I really believe she knew that it was the end. Its still in the back of my head bugging me, but what can you do. I still think I did the right thing though.

Just sucks losing her, she was in the family for years, was my one of my closest friends so I was over at their home often, and was quite acquainted with her, and I am upset she is gone, my friend and his family are really sad.

So you know how oxycontin affects a pet? A small chunk probably did nothing. Luckly it was not a medication that should not be used on a cat.

You can't have an 'indoor' cat that roams outside all the time. A cat is either indoors or an outdoor cat...period. 2 acres is not a large property, but you have basically proven the point that even the owner of an outdoor animal isn't careful enough to avoid hitting it with a car.

If the cat was purring, I don't really see how you could have determined it was beyond help as well.

However, you committed a crime in New Jersey, by (d)7 and (e) below:

8:23A-1.11 Euthanasia
(a) No animal being euthanized shall be allowed to make physical contact with another animal unless pretranquilized to the extent that they are not capable of aggressive actions dangerous to humans or animals.
(b) Where standard methods of restraint are impractical or impossible (such as zoo animals, animals in severe pain from trauma, or animals that are intractable for other reasons) or where manual capture and restraint may cause pain and injury through struggling and anxiety, the use of immobilizing drugs are acceptable, except neuromuscular blocking agents as determined by N.J.S.A. 4:22-1 et seq.
(c) The acceptable methods of euthanasia include the following:
1. The primary recommended method is an intravenous injection of a barbiturate; however, an intraperitoneal or intracardiac injection may be made where intravenous injection is impractical, as in the very small animal, or in the comatose animal with depressed vascular function. Intracardiac injection is acceptable only when performed on heavily sedated, anesthetized or comatose animals. The use of neuromuscular blocking agents, as determined by N.J.S.A. 4:22-19.3, is prohibited in the animal euthanasia process.
2. Administration of injectable solutions approved for use in dogs and cats.
3. Administration of inhalant anesthetics:
i. Ether, halothane, isoflurane, enflurane, or methoxyflurane may be used. Nitrous oxide shall only be used in conjunction with other inhalant anesthetics.
ii. Acceptable for small animals such as birds, rodents, and young cats and dogs. Not recommended for larger animals.
iii. Precautions shall be taken to protect personnel and other animals from inhalant anesthetic gases. Ether is flammable and explosive. Occupational exposure to inhalant anesthetics constitutes a human health hazard.
4. Intravenous injection of combinations of chloral hydrate, magnesium sulfate and pentobarbital is acceptable for large animals, such as horses.
(d) Methods not acceptable for euthanasia include the following:
1. Hydrogen cyanide gas;
2. Injection of chloral hydrate;
3. Injection of magnesium sulfate;
4. Strychnine in any form;
5. Injection of hydrocyanic acid;
6. Electrocution;
7. Shooting and captive bolt pistol;
8. Drowning;
9. Exsanguination;
10. Decompression chambers;
11. Nitrous oxide, when used as the sole euthanasia agent;
12. Chloroform;
13. Chambers using any gas that is not an anesthetic; or
14. Neuromuscular blocking agents.
(e) All persons administering animal euthanasia shall be a New Jersey licensed veterinarian or be certified by a licensed veterinarian in the acceptable euthanasia technique or techniques used at the facility, as delineated in (c) above, in compliance with N.J.A.C. 8:65. Such documentation shall state the euthanasia substances and techniques certified for use therewith, shall be signed by the certifying veterinarian, and shall be kept on file at the facility for inspection by State or local Health authorities.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006

However, you committed a crime in New Jersey, by (d)7 and (e) below:

8:23A-1.11 Euthanasia
(a) No animal being euthanized shall be allowed to make physical contact with another animal unless pretranquilized to the extent that they are not capable of aggressive actions dangerous to humans or animals.
(b) Where standard methods of restraint are impractical or impossible (such as zoo animals, animals in severe pain from trauma, or animals that are intractable for other reasons) or where manual capture and restraint may cause pain and injury through struggling and anxiety, the use of immobilizing drugs are acceptable, except neuromuscular blocking agents as determined by N.J.S.A. 4:22-1 et seq.
(c) The acceptable methods of euthanasia include the following:
1. The primary recommended method is an intravenous injection of a barbiturate; however, an intraperitoneal or intracardiac injection may be made where intravenous injection is impractical, as in the very small animal, or in the comatose animal with depressed vascular function. Intracardiac injection is acceptable only when performed on heavily sedated, anesthetized or comatose animals. The use of neuromuscular blocking agents, as determined by N.J.S.A. 4:22-19.3, is prohibited in the animal euthanasia process.
2. Administration of injectable solutions approved for use in dogs and cats.
3. Administration of inhalant anesthetics:
i. Ether, halothane, isoflurane, enflurane, or methoxyflurane may be used. Nitrous oxide shall only be used in conjunction with other inhalant anesthetics.
ii. Acceptable for small animals such as birds, rodents, and young cats and dogs. Not recommended for larger animals.
iii. Precautions shall be taken to protect personnel and other animals from inhalant anesthetic gases. Ether is flammable and explosive. Occupational exposure to inhalant anesthetics constitutes a human health hazard.
4. Intravenous injection of combinations of chloral hydrate, magnesium sulfate and pentobarbital is acceptable for large animals, such as horses.
(d) Methods not acceptable for euthanasia include the following:
1. Hydrogen cyanide gas;
2. Injection of chloral hydrate;
3. Injection of magnesium sulfate;
4. Strychnine in any form;
5. Injection of hydrocyanic acid;
6. Electrocution;
7. Shooting and captive bolt pistol;
8. Drowning;
9. Exsanguination;
10. Decompression chambers;
11. Nitrous oxide, when used as the sole euthanasia agent;
12. Chloroform;
13. Chambers using any gas that is not an anesthetic; or
14. Neuromuscular blocking agents.
(e) All persons administering animal euthanasia shall be a New Jersey licensed veterinarian or be certified by a licensed veterinarian in the acceptable euthanasia technique or techniques used at the facility, as delineated in (c) above, in compliance with N.J.A.C. 8:65. Such documentation shall state the euthanasia substances and techniques certified for use therewith, shall be signed by the certifying veterinarian, and shall be kept on file at the facility for inspection by State or local Health authorities.

Too bad that no one who actually matters gives a shit. I guess you will just have to get over it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: xboxist

fucking idiots.

They commited a crime. Zoology is my major as well, plus I have worked with a vet during my training. I think I am a little more qualified to comment than someone just brandishing a .22. Cats esp have been known to spring back after their owners have even thought them dead.

Euthanasia aside, shooting of a pet is outlawed as a method except in extreme suffering or where there is threat to other's life in many if not most places now. There is too many variables in that method that can lead to not only a bad kill, but very easy to collateral damage.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good job.

sad part is idiots like alkemyst are around. Sadly sometimes you have to do something like that. why prolong the suffering? why rack up hundreds or thousands worht of vet bills when the animal is doomed anyway?