Friends 91 civic hatchback

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Ok my friend has had his civic for 6 months maybe a year now has 125k miles runs good not riced at all . So no reason to flame it lol. Anyway just yesterday we went to get his new stereo installed so on the way to the place he noticed that when he shifted into 3rd from 2nd that it would grind a tiny bit.. first time its ever done that, and wouldnt do it from 4th to 3rd just 2nd to 3rd. So he tested it a few times to make sure it wasnt just him and the clutch but its not it did it every time.. He is a bit worried he nor I know much about transmissions and so we have no clue what it is. What could it be ? I hope its nothing big as hes gonna sell the thing soon and that wouldnt help him get a good price for it...

BTW even tho civics are slow they are still fun to ride in and make good first cars (its his first) . They have that go cart feeling going for them

Anyway hope someone may be able to tell us whats going on.

Oh yea this is a manual tranny btw.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
125k, if the clutch has never been replaced I can pretty much gurantee that is the problem.
Once the clutch wears out it becomes harder to shift and you start to grind the gears.
Throw a new clutch in there and it will be good to go for another 125K.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I do not think it is the clutch as I had a Bad clutch on a honda and what it does is just not catch the gear untill well after the clutch is out . I'd say the syncros or something related to that is the problem. I hope he didn't pay much for the car cause wholesale the car is worth $500 the hatchbacks have terrible book values... my point is if it is an expensive Fix it might be easier to get a new car. I am having stuggles trying to keep my $500 car working myself.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I thought the synchros only fail if the transmission was ragged on.
rolleye.gif

I guess if it just started happening one day the synchros would be the better guess.
Clutch wears out slowly over time, not over night.

Turkey

Jan 10, 2000
Definitely a synchro problem. Maybe a really good shop could replace just the 2nd gear synchro for cheaper than replacing the whole transmission. Shoulda been double clutching! :)

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Atrail
125k, if the clutch has never been replaced I can pretty much gurantee that is the problem.
Once the clutch wears out it becomes harder to shift and you start to grind the gears.
Throw a new clutch in there and it will be good to go for another 125K.

Definately not the clutch as it is just fine in all the other gears but 2nd to 3rd I am definately thinking its the synchro thats what everyone keeps telling us....

Hehe yeah he does beat on that civic and drive it hard lol , so Im sure thats why its like that.. Well I'll break the news to him that hes gonna have to fix it heheheh .

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Originally posted by: EXman
I do not think it is the clutch as I had a Bad clutch on a honda and what it does is just not catch the gear untill well after the clutch is out . I'd say the syncros or something related to that is the problem. I hope he didn't pay much for the car cause wholesale the car is worth $500 the hatchbacks have terrible book values... my point is if it is an expensive Fix it might be easier to get a new car. I am having stuggles trying to keep my $500 car working myself.

He paid 2700 for it a few months ago , thats about how much they go for around here . He should be able to sell it for 2500-3000 I guess the demand for civics is high here . I know Im never getting one , personally im a v8 muscle car era kinda guy . I just love the way a v8 sounds in a car :)