Friend of a friend trying to screw me over

natep

Sep 27, 2005
So I recently worked for only one week at a local pizza place as a driver. I was only making $6/hr w/ my tips. The tips were decent, some people would tip nada, but others would tip up to $7.

Anyway, I got the job at the place because my friend has been working there for over a month now, and his friend is the manager. Before I got the job, I partied w/ the manager a few times and he seemed like a cool guy.

So I get the job and 3 days (21 working hours) later, the starter on my car busts. I call in, say I'm sorry. I tell them that they should probably find a new driver, because I'll be out for a while and with school starting soon, I don't need this again. The job isn't that great anyway. I hated driving.

So the boss writes my check in for the hours I worked, and here's how I hear about my check. My friend tells me that the manager friend (who I thought was my friend also by now) asked him if he wanted to take my pay and split it between the two of them.
:|

WTF. What kind of person does that?

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Originally posted by: jackace
He can't legally do that. I would assume he was just joking with your friend.

I assumed the same. He wasn't jokin' though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: natep
So I recently worked for only one week at a local pizza place as a driver. I was only making $6/hr w/ my tips. The tips were decent, some people would tip nada, but others would tip up to $7.

Anyway, I got the job at the place because my friend has been working there for over a month now, and his friend is the manager. Before I got the job, I partied w/ the manager a few times and he seemed like a cool guy.

So I get the job and 3 days (21 working hours) later, the starter on my car busts. I call in, say I'm sorry. I tell them that they should probably find a new driver, because I'll be out for a while and with school starting soon, I don't need this again. The job isn't that great anyway. I hated driving.

So the boss writes my check in for the hours I worked, and here's how I hear about my check. My friend tells me that the manager friend (who I thought was my friend also by now) asked him if he wanted to take my pay and split it between the two of them.
:|

WTF. What kind of person does that?

steve jobs!

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Were you working under the table?

Also, I think the reason the manager said that, right or wrong, is he probably feels like you dicked him over. Granted your starter went out, but you were quick to say "You should probably find another driver" which led him to believe you're just another punk ass kid with no commitment to work. Sounds like that statement would be true.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
The manager wasn't right in withholding your paycheck, but I could see why he is pissed.

You kinda just left him hanging there out of nowhere after 3 day working days. I would be pissed too if I was the manager, but I wouldn't of withheld your paycheck.