Friend needs a laptop

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I have a friend looking for a laptop for school basically, she needs word processing powerpoint, school stuff....basic college level functions, possibly stuff for law school. It needs to be current enough to still be usable in about 4 years.....suggestions?

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
budget? look at the lenovo (ibm) thinkpad z60t. ive had a lot of really good experiences with thinkpads (in fact im typing this with my old PIII thinkpad), and ive read a lot of good things about this one.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
i just recently purchased a ibm(lenovo) t42 w/ 1.6GHz p-m and couldn't be happier. using it with the 6cell battery i get an easy 4hrs and it weighs ~5#s, is quick, cool and quiet.

sturdy as hell too. i was going to buy a cheaper model, but i am glad i spent the extra $$$ on this.

Oct 1, 2005
$400 dollar laptop from Walmart @ Black Friday.

Its impossible for a laptop to get outdated for the purposes of Word Processing and school stuff.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
look at the tread simular to this. If dell still has the $-500 off discount with coupon, id get the 700m. i posted it on a simular topic so you just need to scan though it. But the total price of the laptop shipped to the door and after taxes came out to 949.00. I dont think thinkpads can come close to that deal and this is spoken from a thinkpad user. The thing also is if its a for a girl, i doubt shes gonna want to carry around a 5-7lb laptop. The dell is about 1/3 smaller then the T series and maybe about 1/2 smaller then the R. Also there giving away a free DVD-/+RW drive.

PS. Thinkpads in general except the X series are under regular portible catigory, The X is ultra portible. The Dell 700m is right on the margin of ultra portible to regular portible.