Friend just hit a kid with her car...

Nov 7, 2000
A friend of mine hit a pedestrian today. Well, actually it was a kid flying down the sidewalk (one leading to his front door) off a ramp and into the street. (picture white suburbia). this house is on the corner of the street. my friend made the turn onto the street just as the kid comes off the ramp. I suppose she tried to stop, but the kid was out of control and she still hit him. AFAIK no major injuries, although they did take him to the hospital to check for internal injuries. Can she get in trouble for this? The authorities are not involved (yet), but from what I can tell it was unavoidable. Any input?

plz get the woman driver stuff outta the way quickly - she gets enough of it as it is :p

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
In America, anyone can be sued for anything, and many times rationality seems to have no place in the courts system.

I sure hope your friend has good insurance.

YaKuZa

Aug 26, 2000
Depends if the parents kids decide to press charges and continue with an investigation. And it also depends what the witnesses saw if any and if the kid is seriously hurt or not. How old was the kid?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Natural selection at work. If you're dumb enough to run out into the street without looking, you deserve to get hit.

sheselectric

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
geez...sounds like a bad situation for your friend. let's hope the kid's parents don't sue for big bucks.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I was driving down a residential sidestreet a few years ago when a kid came flying out of an alley on his bike right in front of me. Luckily I'm a cautious driver and was only doing about 15 MPH. I cranked the wheel away from the kid and he wound up doing a brodie into my left front wheel. He immediately got up and went running off. Great. I can't leave without finding out if the kid is ok. I had to pound on front doors until I found a woman who recognized the description of the kid. I went to his house and talked to his mother who said he was alright, but I still insisted on seeing him myself. I finally left, but it's a lousy situation even if it was the kids fault.

Nov 7, 2000
Few more details:

Kid is 11
Apparently as soon as she hit him he got up and apologized saying he was ok and that he didnt see her car.
I think it was the mother that went off the deep end.

Not sure about witnesses.

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
In America, anyone can be sued for anything, and many times rationality seems to have no place in the courts system.

I sure hope your friend has good insurance.

We have too much crap in the legal system.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
If she was speeding, then she will get into some trouble. Otherwise the accident may be deemed as unavoidable. She is lucky that the kid wasn't seriously hurt. Hopefully she won't get nailed for this.

Ryan

JimmyEatWorld

Platinum Member
Dec 12, 2000
My mom's friend nailed a bicyclist pedestration a few years back, hurt him pretty bad, his body cracked her windshield. She called the cops and the ambulence, and witnesses told the cops that it was the pedestrian's fault, and she didn't catch any heat for it.

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Natural selection at work. If you're dumb enough to run out into the street without looking, you deserve to get hit.

That's every kid under 3. How bout I go run over your kid :)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I hit a kid once - or rather, a kid hit me. I was driving down a city street. Lots of houses, no traffic, cars parked on both sides of the road. I was going about 20-25mph. I come to a cross street where I have no sign but the crossing road has a stop sign. As I drive through the intersection a 15 year old kid on a BMX-type bike blasts right into my passenger side door. I mean he hit it HARD. Broke my window and severely damaged my door. The kid broke his arm and collar bone. I felt pretty bad. I felt even worse when the parents of the kid found out. Boy did they get pissed at him when I told my story that was backed by three witnesses. He got grounded, and I the parents payed to fix my car. Not a fun situation.

Nov 7, 2000
She claims she wasn't speeding and I have no reason to doubt her. No witnesses, just her and the kid. They didn't call the cops...