fresh install of Windows XP on a Dell box

Mar 17, 2005
I've got some virus issues on an older P4 Dell PC. I'd like to do a fresh install of XP using an OEM disk purchased from newegg for a different PC. The Dell box has it's own XP activation key stuck to the side of the box (which I would use for the fresh install). My question is, is the XP key on the Dell box compatible with the OEM disk or do I have to use the original disk included with the Dell? The Dell XP Key and the OEM disk are both XP Pro.

Mar 17, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I sorta figured it was fine. Anything special I should do to clean the drive before re-installing. I was just gonna let xp install "wizard" do a full NTFS format on it instead of the quick format before the install.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Doughboy
Thanks for the reply. I sorta figured it was fine. Anything special I should do to clean the drive before re-installing. I was just gonna let xp install "wizard" do a full NTFS format on it instead of the quick format before the install.

That should work just fine, nothing special you need to do.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Doughboy

Suggested modification: use Windows Setup to delete the existing partitions, then exit from Windows Setup, reboot, and start Windows Setup from the top. Create partition, quick-format, and carry on.

From what I've heard, the Dell key on the side of the chassis may not activate over the Internet, in which case you can call and tell them what the deal is ("yeah, it had viruses and I'm doing a clean install with a generic OEM WinXP CD out of necessity").

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Your Dell OEM CD will contain special files that enable you to bypass activation. Dell and other large OEMs come pre-activated from the factory. It's unlikely that the Dell key on the side will activate correctly, but as mechBgon mentioned, a simple phone call should resolve it.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
if you dont have your original dell disks, you can call dell up (or go through their website) and they will send you the whole set of disks that your computer came with for free. and then you wont have to worry about activating/calling microsoft