freq: 180mhz, at 2T command rates

firebyyrd

Mar 15, 2006
at 2.7ghz, it's quite stable.. I ran for about 26 hours prime95, small FFTs..
My HT Link is at 901.2mhz

The question now is,

Will my RAM take a big performance hit because it's frequency is at 180.2mhz, and the command rate is 2T? I have 2 gigs, but sadly it's 512x4... Please somebody give me some advice, and help to see if there is anything I can do to make the overall performance increase.

specs here:

Freq: 180.2mhz
FSBRAM: CPU/15
command rate: 2T

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I assume you are shooting for the full 200Mhz or pc3200 speeds---as it is you seem stuck midway between pc2700 and pc3200 speeds at not bad timings. But do de math , 200/180 yields at best an 11.1% performance increase assuming achieving the full 200 did not result in a loosening of ram timings. In terms of getting 1T instead of 2T, from what I have read--in theory an up to 10% boost---in practice more like 3%. But to really get hard numbers---some sort of benchmarking program is needed that will output memory throughput.
Something free like everest 2.2 springs to mind but there are a pile of others.

But of you are willing to play the overclock game, best know your motherboard bios well and your ram specs also. And be willing to spend many hours sneaking up on settings at risk of frying some component. And then back off the second you get system instability.

But given that you have a quite healthy 2GB memory and system stability, do you really have a pressing need for extra speed?

firebyyrd

Mar 15, 2006
yeah.. thanks for the input lemon law. very well put.
I believe I'll just continue to "up" the HTT, the frequencies of my ram will just continue to rise along with my HTT increases. Hopefully I can reach 2.8ghz, or atleast 2.75 without changing my clocks on my ram... or increasing any voltages.
The amazing and surprising thing about my system is.. I have done very little to change anything with my over clock..

the only things I have changed was the HTT, dropped the link multi from 5x, to 4x.. , lowered the RAM frequencies.. amazing how little I have to do and get a 14% increase in cpu speeds.

I didn't even change my voltages.

Another quick question if you don't mind answering (or anyone else), does this mean I have a really good overclockable chip? The heat basically stays around 48-49C Load, with idle temps to be 35-36C .. this is according to CoreTemp 0.95.

Thanks again for the wonderful input lemon law.

CPUID: 00020F71h, revision SH-E4
Famil F, Model 7, Stepping 1, Ext. Family F, Ext. Model 27.