Frenemies: The McCain-Bush Dance

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Click Here for Time Mag article

It was in Portsmouth, Ohio, the other day when a supporter neatly summed up the obstacle lying between John McCain and the White House. "When," the young man implored, "are you going to go out and say, 'Read my lips. I am not the third term of Bush'?"

In a business of bitter rivalries and awkward alliances, few political relationships have been more bitter, awkward or downright tortured than John McCain's eight-year entanglement with George W. Bush. After their nasty 2000 battle for the G.O.P. nomination, McCain's differences with Bush were so numerous and so deep that in 2001 he discussed with top Democratic leaders quitting the Republican Party. Three years later, McCain remained so estranged from the White House that John Kerry begged him to run with him on the Democratic ticket against Bush. Even though their rapprochement in 2004 drained some of the bile from their relationship, the two men have never been friends. At best, theirs is a partnership sustained by the benefits each has conferred on the other and a grudging admiration each has for the other's toughness.

McCain's embrace of Bush helped him emerge as the G.O.P. nominee this year from a crowded field of flawed candidates. But it came with a steep price, for his ties to the President now act like leg weights in his race against Barack Obama. They make it possible for Democrats to argue that a vote for McCain is a vote for more of what the country has endured over the past eight years.

This, despite the fact that on campaign finance, tax cuts, health care, judicial nominations, the environment, the use of torture, the fate of Guantánamo Bay and other issues, McCain stood apart ? and sometimes alone ? from both his President and his party. For all that, he cannot escape Bush's shadow ? in part because no Republican nominee could but also because McCain cannot afford to try, given how suspiciously he is regarded by conservatives. And so he answers questions like that one in Ohio with a fatalistic admission that he and the President are linked, for better and probably for worse. "Bush could beat him twice," says a friend who knows McCain well. "Imagine how bitter he feels."

The Crucible
John S. McCain and George W. Bush grew up in tandem, both favored, third-generation sons of prominent Washington families, accustomed to power and influence. Both were poor students and merry pranksters, and both had reputations as drinkers as young men. But the Vietnam War marked a critical divergence: McCain entered Annapolis and wound up spending five years in a Hanoi prison camp, and Bush avoided the war by landing a coveted spot in the Texas Air National Guard. McCain was launched into politics by his heroism, Bush by his gold-star political name. Partly because of their age difference (Bush is a decade younger), and partly because Bush got a late start in the game, their paths had rarely crossed before they ran against each other for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000.

After he upset an overconfident Bush by 19 points in New Hampshire, it appeared that McCain might take South Carolina too, ending Bush's bid. In a Greenville, S.C., hotel room the day after his New Hampshire loss, Bush's high command agreed to attack McCain as a double-talking Washington insider and closet liberal. They also discussed the help they could expect from outside groups not legally permitted to coordinate with the campaign. Said a Bush adviser: "We gotta hit him hard."

They did. While the campaign itself launched a fusillade of negative attacks, a network of murky anti-McCain groups ran push polls spreading lies about McCain's record. They papered the state with leaflets claiming, among other things, that Cindy McCain was a drug addict and John had fathered a black child out of wedlock, complete with a family photograph. The dark-skinned girl in the photo was, in fact, the McCains' daughter Bridget, whom they adopted as an infant after Cindy met her on a charity mission at Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh. It was, even by G.O.P. standards, unusually foul stuff.

Up to that point in the campaign, McCain had been more or less ambivalent about Bush personally. "He thought Bush was a lightweight but a nice enough guy," says a close McCain associate. That ended in South Carolina. During a commercial break in a debate there, Bush put his hand on McCain's arm and swore he had nothing to do with the slander being thrown at his opponent. "Don't give me that shit," McCain growled. "And take your hands off me."

McCain lost South Carolina and, eventually, the nomination. He endorsed his opponent ? but mocked the ritual, robotically telling reporters, "I endorse George Bush, I endorse George Bush, I endorse George Bush." And months would pass before he would campaign for him against Al Gore. "The tension was palpable," recalls Scott McClellan, the Bush aide who went on to become White House press secretary. "The two were cordial, but McCain would get that forced smile on his face whenever they were together." More in link (this was only page 1)

I find it awkward that you see so many signs with "McCain=Bush" or McCain= Bush III, when in the end, McCain just supported Bush because it was the right thing to do for his own future candidacy, and so that down the road his candidacy would be endorsed. He is one of the more liberal Republicans in the Senate and or House combined. Even Kerry recruited him as a running mate, Kerry was the great Dem hope, is that to say he was wrong? He was a fan fav amongst Dems.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
the problem is, all the popular stances McCain took before years ago have been robotically replaced with the Republican Agenda. Honestly I don't view McCain as the same candidate anymore, and I have difficulty trusting him precisely because of the consistent nature that he's espoused the party line.

Plus, he's old. Seems pretty ignorant about some basic things (ie middle east) keeps refusing to acknowledge the reality of what is going on there (doesn't that sound like our President?) and other reasons.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
As the sausage king of chicago you should know damn well why McCain isn't liked by Dems anymore.

It's namely because he is the polar opposite of who he was in 2000 and for much of his political career. He's flopped on just about every major issue and aligned himself with Bush.

It's logical to argue that coddling up to Bush as he has in the last 4 years was just paving the way for his nomination, but it's also his biggest liability.

McCain and the R's in general are facing a real identity crises and it won't be solved before November.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I predicted in 2001 that Bush's Republican successor candidate would have to pretend Bush wasn't a 'real Republican' to explain all the bad policies and try to get elected.

Now, we're likely to see McCain have increasing pressure to put out the story in the OP here about what a 'maverick' he is. IMO, he's not.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Taejin
the problem is, all the popular stances McCain took before years ago have been robotically replaced with the Republican Agenda. Honestly I don't view McCain as the same candidate anymore, and I have difficulty trusting him precisely because of the consistent nature that he's espoused the party line.

Plus, he's old. Seems pretty ignorant about some basic things (ie middle east) keeps refusing to acknowledge the reality of what is going on there (doesn't that sound like our President?) and other reasons.

John Kerry said that McCain approached his campagin asking about VP.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Taejin

John Kerry said that McCain approached his campagin asking about VP.

There are hundreds of websites arguing both sides of that argument...I am not sure we will ever know the truth.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Who can blame McCain for being like Bush as much as he can. Bush defeated him in the election and he then defeated two Democrats. It's hard to argue with success.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Check out McCain before 2007 or so and then after. You will see he has reversed most of his moderate positions for the hard right. Also, saying that McCain defied Bush more than any other Republican isn't exactly saying a lot. You mean on average he only agreed with him 80 something percent of the time instead of 98% of the time? Pardon me if I'm not exactly fainting.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Check out McCain before 2007 or so and then after. You will see he has reversed most of his moderate positions for the hard right. Also, saying that McCain defied Bush more than any other Republican isn't exactly saying a lot. You mean on average he only agreed with him 80 something percent of the time instead of 98% of the time? Pardon me if I'm not exactly fainting.

So he is a politician who knew?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
People don't give McCain credit for at least being willing to not simply "tow the party line" all the time. In fact, lots of republicans don't like McCain because he's willing to "work with the enemy". I think that's a good trait, that he's willing to have his own oppinion, and willing to work with the dems when needed.