French set new rail speed record

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
I would like to see Atlanta, San Fran, NY, CHI, Miami, and Seattle all linked by high speed rail, that would be nice.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
I would like to see Atlanta, San Fran, NY, CHI, Miami, and Seattle all linked by high speed rail, that would be nice.

that would be badass...

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I hear it only goes in reverse.

just be where you want to go after you were where you were when you wanted to go where you are now and you should be fine:beer:

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I hear it only goes in reverse.

just be where you want to go after you were where you were when you wanted to go where you are now and you should be fine:beer:

No. It's just that's for military use only.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: K1052
For Huston that makes sense, you don't have to move the volume of people we do daily.

all i know is that houston proper gains ~403,000 in population during the work day due to commuters, while chicago only gainst ~142,000 in population during the work day due to commuters.

anyway, acela is still slow due to antiquated rail lines because the US (and the brits, for the most part) never had to replace the rail lines due to destruction like the french and germans did.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: sm8000
Holy sh!t....almost mach 1 ...on the ground..outside...it a tube...andn while maintaing a smooth ride...

:shocked:

*stops badmouth le francasie immediately*

Almost Mach 1? Isn't that like 400mph more?

yea...maybe he meant mach 1/2 :D

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Holy sh!t....almost mach 1 ...on the ground..outside...it a tube...andn while maintaing a smooth ride...

Last I checked. Its like 677 MPH or so off the top of my head.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman

Last I checked. Its like 677 MPH or so off the top of my head.

I thought it was 1350/2 (675) mph..I too need to look it up....but I'm lazy:p

Either way, half the speed of sound for me is almost the speed of sound:p

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Huh? Mach 1, where?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Huh? Mach 1, where?

I'll admit..I was reaching...VERY VERY FAR....but still fast as hellP:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
For Huston that makes sense, you don't have to move the volume of people we do daily.

all i know is that houston proper gains ~403,000 in population during the work day due to commuters, while chicago only gainst ~142,000 in population during the work day due to commuters.

anyway, acela is still slow due to antiquated rail lines because the US (and the brits, for the most part) never had to replace the rail lines due to destruction like the french and germans did.

I'm not so sure on those figures but that only tells part of the story anyway. Lots of people commute in different directions here. The system also sees heavy usage outside of regular commuters as well for sporting events (both Wrigley and US Cell field have direct rail access), there are multiple universities connected as well (Du Paul, Loyola, Northwestern, etc..), and all the tourist usage.

Daily Metra ridership (commuter rail) is about 300,000.
Daily CTA (bus and rail) ridership is about 1,500,000.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
for those interested who dont know, 1HP = 746W. big resistors are typically measured in HP.

Jun 14, 2003
I'm still waiting for the US to get off it's ass and construct dedicated high speed rail lines where they are warranted. The NY-DC-Boston corridor is of course the perfect place to start. All we have is the half-assed Acela service that can't run anywhere near top speeds for large parts of its run.

Amtrak could make a killing against the airlines in this area. It would probably end or at least significantly reduce the need for federal subsides.

I sometimes wonder if it would be better for Amtrak to be privatized.

the british rail network was privatised and look what happened there, it was left to rot, some bad accidents happened, the trains were slow, unreliable and unable to function unless the weather was decent.

and now network rail are picking up the pieces, and virgin are seemingly one of the only companies willing to spend cash on good trains

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Originally posted by: loic2003
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Trains are something that the French really do right :p
This is true. They arrive *to the minute* that it shows you on the ticket.

As a side note, but not wanting this to turn political, I heared that to fund a maglev train that operated in a vacuum tunnel that stretched from the east to west coast of the US and could traverse it in less than 30 mins would have cost roughly the same as the iraq war has cost thus far. Makes you think.

3000 miles in 30 minutes is 6000 mph.

Yeah, check out railgun projectile speeds, then imagine subtracting air resistance from the equation. Of course, accelleration would have to be limited...
It's all pie in the sky and likely would cost a crap-load more than the initial speculation; it was simply a method of showing what the funds could have been spent on.
They probably calculated how much it would cost to build a mile of the track, then multiplied it by 1000.

Which is extremely flawed, since getting such a tube over or through the Rockies alone would be impractical at best, and more likely impossible. It's a neat idea, but on the surface it doesn't seem at all feasible.

its not impossible. engineers could do it. its not beyond mortal man

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Skotty
Good job Frenchies! We (Americans) like to dislike them over military issues, but sometimes it seems like they have us beat in technological cajones. High speed trains. About 90% nuclear powered. Major developer of the Concorde supersonic airliner. Home of Airbus. Major contributer and host to the ITER fusion power reactor. Co-developer of the Chunnel (longest undersea tunnel in the world). Meanwhile, the US has a history of cancelling advanced projects half way through.

you're right, they've got us beat in every boondoggle except the military. good going france.

These fellers have insight. :beer: to both of you!

french are smart

lets add 2 F1 world championships on to that too with renault, the best tyres in the sport michelin, infact before they completely left F1 in 97 they had the best engines in the F1 field, they introduced the Turbo to F1 as well in the 80's - they are really good at being innovative and pioneering.

oh yeah, that super large bridge they have over that valley (although the archietect was british)

their cars arent the best built, but again they are quirky, innovative and certainly not boring (Citroen C2, 4, 6, renault vel satis, avantime etc) and they are particularly good at diesels engines.

alot of good engineering in france, thats for sure.

a little note about the airbus, in an effort to make the A380 a symbol of what Europe can do the wings and engines are made in the UK, the rest of the plane is done in france, and germany do the finishing off. the wings are so large, the only way to get them to france is to load them on a barge and send them down the irish sea and across the channel.

such is this country, we have enivron-mentalists and greenies who refuse to let the port dredge the estury from which the wings sail, this means the wings can only go to france at select times.

i cant believe it, some crummy worms at the bottom of a river come before one of the biggest aerospace projects we have seen.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
the best tyres in the sport michelin,

tires so good they couldn't run at indianapolis. gg france.

Skotty

Dec 29, 2006
This got me thinking about private industry versus federal. Everyone hails how great private industry is, and how inefficient and sometimes ineffective federal government is. But private industry has one very large problem. It lacks the balls and/or ability to do anything grand. Most everything "grand" including a lot of technological advances were the result of government projects, educational research, and military research. Private industry is about making money, not making history.